Mitchell and Ness Swag

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by aztec21bas, Jul 10, 2016.

1. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well considering I was the one that did most of the stuff for the last several years your feedback is of no consequence to me - erm I mean - most valuable :)

2. kendog3

kendog3 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    EVERY other SG that was offered the exact same thing with Mitchell and Ness turned it down. There is a reason for that...

slitz, bigjinks and Z010 Union repped this.
  3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 Z010 Union, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

Yes, no one else needed it on their resume.

thomas19064 and slitz repped this.
  4. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #29 bigjinks, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Yep. We explicitly stayed away from those deals. Yard's was a local homegrown business though while Mitchell and Ness is a subsidiary of adidas. The only time we did anything remotely that might've looked like a partnership was for the river cup so the players wouldn't look out of place. We could've worn the opposite Union kits but that would have been wrong whichever way you slice it. And we got a huge discount from the manufactures for purchasing from them. In the case of umbro, when people started asking for river cup jerseys, we worked with them to try and make that happen. But we paid them for the product and sold it ourselves. they wanted to set up a store for us selling all manner of stuff and we said no.

For the Topps deal, which I also designed those cards, we made sure most of the SGs were 'in' before we did anything. They wanted to use us first to see how it would go. Again we didn't want to do it unless the others were involved. Union .... one in - all in, one out- all out :)

thomas19064 repped this.
  5. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    heres the thing. you cant please everyone. If you don't like the mitchell and ness stuff, don't buy it. Its pretty simple. Im not a fan of most of the past supporters shirts/adidas apparel, so i didn't buy it. Whats laughable are people turning this into a conspiracy with Sob board members having money fights in their lavish palaces. M&N printed like, a couple hundred shirts. Most of the money goes to them since they had the licensing for the union already and actually took the initial risk of printing. As you must already know, they aren't getting rich off selling 500 shirts/hoodies and 200 hats. So whats the point of it? to offer choices that go beyond a G200. I literally HAND OUT PINTS OF FREE BEER and have people complain that it runs out, and then dive into my personal cooler and call me a dickhead when i take my beer back. So, yeah, you can't make everyone happy, but you have a choice as a consumer. Just remember, everyone is here for the same reason.
    screw flanders

jaykoz3 and lopezzzz repped this.
  6. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The uninformed may - but from my palatial estate, it is more not understanding the DIY nature of supporter culture.

Is is flattering that a company like Mitchell & Ness wants to use a logo that a couple of us ideated and that Dills created? YES! Does it mean you should do it? NO!

thomas19064, bigjinks and ericlfd repped this.
  7. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #32 ericlfd, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    I guess my argument is that Mitchell and ness aren't that un-diy

And i could be wrong, but I'd venture to guess sob has accepted money from the team to fund certain things from the beginning.

8. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of nothing, but it seems like it's soon time to put the final nail in the coffin of these "tailgates". They are literally giving away food and drink and no one comes.

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would have made stuff easier, but you cant be independent and on the dole.

10. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #35 Ruud11, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    No one comes since it is too far. Wish it was in the place where it all started.

thomas19064 repped this.
  11. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, but remember the smell and losing your shoes in the mire next to the stadium?

jaykoz3 and thomas19064 repped this.
  12. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am talking about the yard across the tracks! Guess you are a newbee

13. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha. we moved to Teber from next to the stadium because it was so bad. Me, a newb ?!

sccaflagger74 repped this.
  14. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There are definitely people coming to the tailgates.

15. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but it's like a high school cafeteria. You have the jocks in one section. The band geeks in another. The cosplay nerds over there. The D&D kids somewhere else. Was never like that before.

And yeah there are people, but not like it was at the original spot, Teber, or even that spot between lots b and old c

Teber, while possibly hazardous to our health, was a great spot. Close to stadium , semi private, slightly dirty. Perfect

thomas19064 repped this.
  16. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but some great
    which is a shame in many ways, because a dedicated area is pretty nice - but it being on the outskirts makes it tough to trudge to - especially for those that dont want to be stuck in the team's lots after the game.

17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been to one tailgate this year because of it's distance... (I park in Lot A) - the location really isn't great no matter how you slice it, but I get why it has to be the way it is.

I was at the free Red Bulls tailgate and there was a great crowd there and it was a great tailgate, so it's definitely not the worst situation in the world....

I'll admit to being a "passive" member, and I suppose with the SoB experience you really only get out of it what you put in... I'm willing to bet there are many more "passive" members than active members and thats why so many people are sour on the SoBs..... pile that in with just a lot of conflicting mindsets / personalities / ideas / politics / and flat out logistical issues... it's a tough nut to crack to make it well oiled machine everyone can agree with and get behind.

cwelch999, jaykoz3 and Z010 Union repped this.
  18. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That place off Reaney St that was rumored (were the rumors even based on any fact? You would know best) would have been ideal

19. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would have been ideal - but i was out of the loop by then. I've heard a renewal of some other rumors, but nothing with as much potential as that building shell on Reaney

20. bigjinks

bigjinks Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Liverpool/Havertown
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Sob has lost its edge. There's no needle anymore. The tribal aspect has been lost and that's why the more vociferous groups now tailgate together away from the SoB lot. Needle is fun, but you have to know where to push the opposition. Remember the Borat tifo we took to RBA? even the zolo ram and some of the others. There was an edge to it all. Where even the FO could get pissed. Me and Corey did a Danny califf / scarface mash up that said "say hello the my river end" and the FO censored it. Sticking a big censored sticker over it made it more effective. Where's that anymore?

Although the blind ref banner is great

21. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only suggestion of mine that ever had legs apparently:

Dills repped this.
  22. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having legs in the River End is overrated.

thomas19064 repped this.
  23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh trust me - I definitely don't want to deal with having legs in the River End... you're an infinitely better man than for doing everything you did.

My contributions will most likely stay in the vacuum of the internet where my dozens of song/chant suggestions are submitted into the blackhole and never actually heard.

24. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard someone say SOB wants to "rebrand" as edgy like that tailgate group you mentioned. Sad thing is, edgy is what the group was. Some how it's been lost

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start them on a game day, if they are catchy they will stick. Sisqo's Thong Song and others made their way into rotation in at least one section this weekend.