Rumor: Mission Impossible: Replacing Infinito ∞ | The 2018-19 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That would be a dream sequence transfer window:)

unclesox repped this.
  2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For players coming in, I agree it would be good.

For players going out, we'll see. One of Rakitic, Vidal and Coutinho might need to leave to make room for De Jong, and these are quite different players, so the club needs to make this decision right. Personally, I'd like to keep both Raki and Coutinho, and sell Vidal, but I suppose it's a complex issue. Also I know who you'd get rid of, so no need to get into that.

Some summer Suarez will leave, it's tough to say when is the right time. Depends on his attitude, how acceptable he will be to not playing all the time. Ideally, I think our ST pairing would be Jovic and Suarez, in that I'd like to keep Suarez for at least one more season. He'd be a good mentor I think, and also there will be moments when a seasoned veteran like Suarez will be valuable.

So yeah, for me, something like this:

IN: De Jong, Jovic, De Ligt
    OUT: Vidal, Boateng, Todibo (on loan)

Although I do get that the club could want to cash in on Rakitic or Coutinho, and it's not that I don't respect what Vidal brings to the table. Coutinho especially could be worth a lot of money. We'll see.

TitoTata repped this.
  3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1403 Gilmango, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Keeping with the three lines thoughts:
    Midfield: We already have De Jong signed and official, that's a huge boost. Getting Arthur last season was huge and he fit in great, already a starter, hopefully Frenkie does the same. Sell Gomes, sell Rafinha, already released Samper. Alena already here and Puig (AM) and Oriol Busquets (DM) in the wings (I'd give them one more year in Barca B or loan them out to a Liga side). Veterans who still play well Busquets and Rakitic and Vidal is adapting well. IF we sell Rakitic or Vidal maybe bring in someone else, like Rabiot, but I'd just as soon keep all 3 veterans and not add Rabiot. Wildcards are if we need to sell Rakitic due to his contract demands, or due to promises to De Jong, or due to need to raise money elsewhere for signings (or sell Vidal for same reasons and he's less vital anyways, but doesn't fetch quite as much). Other wildcard is whether Todibo's future is actually at DM, if we do sell Rakitic then Busi back up comes down to Frenkie, Oriol, and Todibo.

Defense: Already getting Todibo could also prove to be a huge boost, though if we get De Ligt it may mean just a boost to our bottom line (as no room for 5 talented CBs, only one of which is old (Pique). Vermaelen moves on. Todibo loaned out if we sign De Ligt, otherwise stays as our 4th CB. Murillo is gone he was just injury insurance. The real question is Alba's back up. Given the emergence of Lenglet as a solid CB, it may be worth trying to play Umtiti at LB (when Alba needs a rest), but really for a club of Barca's ambitions it was a bit crazy to sell Digne (I know he wanted to go and we made money, and I totally loved that we went with La Masia) without a proven back up for Alba. No way do we spend big, but Miranda needs to go on loan for a year or two and hopefully start in La Liga. Cucurella likely sold. So I liked the idea of a veteran LB on a Bosman, but apparently Barca rejected Filipe Luis who I thought would be a good signing for a year or two... A couple other veteran LBs were mentioned, I forget the names. But bottom line, while De Ligt is well worth pursuing, we are good at CB, Pique is having one of if not his best season ever, Lenglet is a worthy starter, Umtiti is back without surgery, Todibo seems promising too early to tell. So yes, love to get De Ligt, but let's solve left back first, it is more pressing. But I get that De Ligt may be a "generational talent".

Forwards: Need a young striker, I'd like Maxi Gomez for 25M (if Celta relegated) but I also would like to see Celta stay up. Jovic would be great. Really need someone who is willing to apprentice for a year or two before they take over for Suarez. I figure Maxi might be more willing to apprentice to a fellow countryman and legend. If we pay 50M for Jovic will he be willing to wait? Will he be ready to outplay Luis from the jump? I guess the big questions on this line are whether Malcom and/or Coutinho are sold either to generate money for these other signings, and/or because they are not happy with minutes or roles at Barca. I'd be fine selling Coutinho if he wants to go and we get back 100M or more, but I do think Coutinho's best role is in a Messi like role; he will never replace Messi, but he is younger and plays better in a similar role so if he is willing to stay he'd ease the transition to a Messi-less future. Malcom simply intrigues me and is good injury insurance for Dembele, I want to see him play more before we sell him. No matter what, Prince is gone, like Murillo he was cheap insurance against injury, and has not impressed.

celito, evil_allan, puyol and 1 other person repped this.
  4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’ve seen reports today regarding De Ligt and not to good ..

Apparently PSG have blown the offers of us and Juventus but Juve have guaranteed him a starting place !?!?

That kinda leaves us in third place ..

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've seen those tweets reports too, with Ernesto wanting to have four quality central defenders in the squad.
    The saving grace is that De Ligt prefers Barcelona and has had significant coaches/friends whispering to him that Barca would be the better career move long term. I'm sure Frenkie is also doing his best to convince him, as well.
    But like most everything in life, money has big say. Guaranteed starting spot could also be at play.
    Bottom line is it's wait and see. :(

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    UEFA just stopped PSG financial fair play investigation too. How convenient ... :rolleyes:

Get knocked out of R16, need to buy players, investigation cancelled. Disgraceful.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And we might be waiting a while because there is no guarantee he will even leave Ajax after this season. I think if he stays at Ajax or goes to Juve its not so bad for us in the longer-term. As long as his dream is to play for Barca, he would get there eventually IMO. Some good experience playing every match at Juve wouldn't be so bad before coming to Barca, rather than riding the bench behind Pique for 2 years.

PSG would be the worst option in terms of hoping to get him at a later date. Best option, he stays at Ajax and we sign him in January to come over in summer 2020.

unclesox repped this.
  8. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Honestly De Ligt should come and start alongside Pique. Umtiti has had too many injuries and Lenglet can be a reserve.

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    How about a back three ?

De Ligt ~ Pique~ Lenglet

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Soooo

Barcelona have reportedly made a €60 million offer to sign Ajax defender Matthijs de Ligt and are hoping to have the deal completed inside a month.

According to Sport, Barca have put forward that initial offer, which will also include add-ons, along with a five-year deal for the player.

"Sources close to the negotiation say the transfer is on track and the club are very optimistic" of securing his signature ahead of European rivals Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich.

evil_allan repped this.
  11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a great arrow to have in the quiver, being able to go to a back 3, but one question is who is sacrificed? If we play 3 of the CBs you mentioned (or Umtiti or even Todibo) in a back 3, then we play without our 3 fullbacks? Or we simply move up one or even both of our fullbacks as wide mids with less defensive responsibilities? Mainly I worry about not playing Alba who is in a great run of form and provides great width/outlet with great passing, and even the odd goal, all while still doing so much on defense. Secondary worry is lack of speed on outside / CBs being drawn to wide, beaten for speed, and leaving exploitable gaps in the middle to be passed into.

But I feel like it would be a nice problem to have to have 4 world class CBs on the roster, only one of whom is near the end of his career (but playing at a top level), and so playing 3 at once, whether in an occasional 3 man back line, or having one of them fill in as a Fullback (or DM) on occasion is a good way to make sure all get minutes. Umtiti could back up Alba, De Ligt could back up Semedo, etc.
    Well I think de Ligt will surely go for more than 60M Euros for sure, but then Ajax and especially de Ligt may not be going entirely for the most money if he is determined to join Barca.

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Jovic will presumably play against Germany in about 30 minutes ??

Serbia have a real good team !

13. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Jovic, sign him up.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    TBF, who can't score against Germany these days?

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So Griezmann apparently has had enough failure and wants out of Madrid. :unsure:

His 28th birthday is today

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tough shit. Maybe he can make a video of how unhappy he is.

unclesox and evil_allan repped this.
  17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Tough nuts ... he had his choice ..

unclesox repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I also think its at least 1 year too late to get him. But can't rule out the possibility that our Board would make a bid for him.

But unless we can get him cheap like, say, the same amount as we would be able to sell Coutinho for, I'd rather save money for something else.

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I prefer Jovic tbh ..

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I wish we’d have got Koeman when we had the chance :(

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Hallelujah

Barcelona are willing to listen to offers in the summer for Samuel Umtiti (25). Barça are prepared to open the door to either Manchester City, Manchester United or Arsenal, given their own pursuit of Ajax central defender Matthijs De Ligt.

( via @TheSunFootball)

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can join Vela at LAFC.

23. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    #1423 evil_allan, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Watch the Femeni team vs Lillestrom Kvinner in the women's Champions League:

unclesox repped this.
  24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, this would be good news if true, De Ligt to Barca a done deal, Barca got discount rate / avoided bidding war as De Ligt wants to come here with De Jong. The devil would still be in the (1) news being official, and (2) the details (price, salary, do we lose Todibo 100% or just loan him, do we loan Puig, Miranda, and/or O. Busquets as part of the operation)?

https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...-transfer-to-barcelona-is-a-done-deal-7383337

ShortyMac and TitoTata repped this.
  25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a crazy rumor about Lenglet getting a new contract (already), which caused me to look up his buyout (fearful we may have repeated what we did with Umtiti -- make a great signing but shoot ourselves in the foot with a low buyout). Turns out we did this one right, Lenglet signed for 5 years (through 2024) and his buyout is 300M Euros, so no need to rush to improve his wages or fend off any rich suitors. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44809786

Another example of our current transfer team doing things right. See also Arthur signing. Two grand once starters in one season is pretty rare, and while fees were high they were not crazy, and are already worth more than we paid. Todibo and De Jong already secured.