Rumor: Mission Impossible: Replacing Infinito ∞ | The 2018-19 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with all you said, heard Bernat wants out, like Thiago, but want to keep Digne unless Cucurella ready, really cannot imagine Miranda being ready. Other option is we may soon be swimming in great left footed CBs, if we sign Lenglet we'll have him, Umtiti, and Vermaelen so Umtiti could back up Alba in a pinch till La Masia can provide Cucu or Miranda at full ripeness.

Other issue is IF we get Griezmann, then don't we plan on playing a rotation of forwards and attacking mids (5 positions) where we have 6 starters: Messi, Griez, Suarez, Dembele, Coutinho, and Rakitic; plus supporting cast of Denis, Paco (for now), Munir and Deulofeu (for now), Vidal (for now), Roberto (when not playing RB), Gomes (for now), Rafinha (for now), Alena (when healthy again), Arnaiz, etc. Point is even if we sell all of the "for now" players, we have plenty of attacking mids and forwards who can drop back.

Also, whatever happened to the Xavi edict? If you leave Barca we don't want you back? Thiago is a talent for sure, when healthy. But he left us via a loophole which only was applicable due to his own injuries. I DON"T WANT HIM BACK!

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Xavi edict? It was his opinion, one player's opinion, and as long as he isn't deciding, it's just that (even if some others would share his feeling). We've had Pique and Cesc return before, for example.

I think players don't just leave, they leave differently. Like Pique, Thiago, Neymar, cases were very different, and the idea of return is different because of it.

3. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    and Alba

4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I used the term "edict" as a bit of a joke, it is just Xavi's opinion. And I would not rule out bringing Thiago back, he obviously is talented, but expensive, oft-injured, and being let go by Bayern for some reason.

Mainly, I wanted to remind people that he could have stayed and outplayed Cesc who actually did not last much longer beyond Thiago's departure, and also spelled Xavi and Iniesta (and Barca often played 3 of the 4 of them). Instead, his dad put a clause in his contract about leaving on the cheap if minutes were not met, when healthy Thiago played enough minutes (% wise to not trigger the clause), but he missed several matches that season due to injury (and thus triggered the cheap release). Sure, Barca's idiot contract writers should have anticipated and covered that scenario, but didn't, but it was Thiago and Mazinho who exploited that loophole and left Barca for a bargain price. Not very loyal. Mazinho is also trying to negotiate for Inter to get Rafinha for less than was verbally promised. So I'd tread lightly on reuniting.

My other, un-related point was just that if we get Griezmann then Coutinho gets minutes as Iniesta's nearest replacement (and not as a forward) and Thiago is less needed when we have at least Raki, Coutinho, Denis, Alena, and Roberto available as attacking mids, plus can also play Dembele or Messi as "midfielders" behind Griezmann and Suarez.

5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Vidal

6. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If the price is indeed 50 + Digne, I don't think it's that expensive. He also isn't that often injured, last three seasons he has played 41, 41 and 31 matches. I do not think he is a new Iniesta, though, but indeed for that price a Thiago who just turned 27 is a deal I'd make.

We don't have too many reliable starter-or-so kinda midfielders. Busquets (who turns 30 in a few days) and Rakitic (who is 30) and then Coutinho, if you count him as a midfielder (but I think he is half-attacker, half-midfielder. There is a glaring hole for an instantly working, not crazy expensive, reliable top level pure midfielder. Yes there is Arthur, but I don't expect much from him this season.

As for Thiago leaving in the past, I understand not everyone acts like Puyol or so when it comes to treating the club this or that way, and I'd also be careful with Thiago's new contract, like with all contracts. As for leaving for Bayern, it's a tricky issue. If he felt he is 4th in the order, and it wasn't like Xavi or Iniesta were leaving soon or Cesc was fading too fast, it's an understandable move to go to another top level club where you get to play maybe more.

Either way, this move I don't think makes or breaks us, but for that money, I think it's a good move. Truthfully though, I don't know how realistic a scenario this is.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Don't worry, Thiago's price will go up after the World Cup. This is when having a Board that sits around with their dicks in their hands until mid-August is not helpful.

8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, some prices will rise due to world cup. I think a big part of our problem is we cannot spend money till July 1st, as we over spent in this past season. Inter welching on a verbal promise to buy Thiago only makes that worse. Plus we are waiting on the 100M question, Griezmann and hard to do much till we know if he joins or not.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looks like Barca is losing the battle to get Rodrygo to Madrid. Kid is 17 and plays similar style to Neymar although his hype didn't go back to when he was 12.

10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't mind losing that. I mean of course he is talented, but many 17 year old top kids end up being average. Ok deal to make, ok deal to not make I reckon.

Gilmango repped this.
  11. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wasn’t impressed with Thiago in both the legs of SF against Real. He’s also injury prone.

12. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    When he plays so little, what can you expect? The better measuring stick is how he plays for Spain.

14. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    I will sign Thiago alcantara. He is the missing link. Everything will depend upon what griezzman does. Lengelet should most probably be signed which is good. Otherwise if they are making Coutinho an Iniesta replacement,I don't know how it will work. He is a great goal scoring player but we will badly need Arthur signed in July.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I really hope Griezmann stays in Atletico. Fukin clown with this decision video BS. Certain players deserve the old player pass system where the clubs literally owned you. At least the system we had in Brazil.

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    he is coming off as a total self absorbed douche bag at this point.
    good baller, but the last drama queen we signed ended up sabotaging the club.

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is dramatic, no doubt, but I think he is really feeling mixed emotions (it's hard to break up) and lots of pressure from Atletico who have also now matched Barca economically. Even on the French team there is pressure both from Barca players but also from the coach who fears that at Barca he will be in the service of Messi and not the man he is at Atleti. I still hope he goes (to a nameless club named Barca) and doesn't announce he is staying, but Barca should be OK either way. And happy to know one way or the other.

18. ncsoccerdad

ncsoccerdad Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Central NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is there any way he could possibly be making an announcement to transfer to Barca before July 1st? It was always my assumption that if anything was announced prior to 7/1, it would be that he's staying in Madrid...?

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why he will only announce today whether he will stay or go. If the answer is go he will not mention Barca (or any other team by name) or any details of their approach, wages, etc.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pique tweeting about Griezmann's decision ... fuk, I guess he is coming.

21. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #72 Jpows, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    He's making quite the spectacle of it all isn't he? Quite cringey if you ask me. Great player, but seems like a bit of an attention-seeker. I get that it's not an easy decision to make but he could have still chosen to handle it in a different way imo.

evil_allan repped this.
  23. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #73 Jpows, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Well, that's that. He's staying. Can't say I'm disappointed. The only question is where do we go from here? I'm also a bit concerned about our inability to sign explicitly targeted players, especially the big ones. Regardless of my personal feelings about this signing in particular it's kind of a bad look for Barcelona, reminiscent of the Verratti saga. What will Messi be thinking? Though I'd think he, out of everyone, understands the meaning of loyalty, if you can call it that.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good. This whole thing he just did was just ridiculous. Much less people cared about this than he probably thinks.

25. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    welcome aboard Jpows!