News: Minnesota United 's Miguel Ibarra Called Up

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Sep 29, 2014.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I won't give you 'better.' You want to say its more competitive within a team to keep your spot, I'd agree with you. Teams definitely appear to be deeper.

GiallorossiYank and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, clearly that was the central point of the article.

4four4 repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Meh, if I could I would agree with you but as much as it pains me to admit we are at best comparable. Otherwise, every single data point indicates that they are indeed better. Revenue, sales to Europe, team salaries, international wins, attendance etc. They have us beat so far.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nah MX is better. They are a solid league, but the mentality doesn't seem to be quite there, and remain unimpressive in the CWC. But their strongest club is stronger than the strongest MLS club, and their median club strength is higher.

If anything, they have lost ground to Central American and South American leagues in the last five years, IMO. And have lost some ground to us. I'd say right now they're the 4th league of the Americas, because I think the Colombian Liga Aguila has surpassed them (and the Paraguayan Copa Tigo is right on their heels).

5. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much of the Paraguayan Copa Tigo do you watch? Im not even trying to be a dick, I am legitimately curious

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm South American by birth, I never miss a Libertadores or Sudamericana game, and watch my share of matches in the best leagues from the region (not Brazil, of late, though). So it's mainly Argentina (where I was born), Chile, Paraguay, Colombia & Ecuador.

Of the Tigo Clausura, I've watched three full games and extended highlights of about a dozen others. They've just finished their eighth fixture, though (it's 22 in total).

Bookmesir repped this.
  7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Paraguay is a very TOP heavy league. Out of Libertad, Olimpia and Cerro Porteno, the rest are just feeders to them.

deejay repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Used to be. Since last year, the top half is quite decent. Guarani, Nacional and Luqueno are playing at a quite good level, too. And that's half of them.

I think they're playing better than Chile or Ecuador, from the bottom up. The Chilean bottom teams (like Iquique or Antofagasta) are quite dire.