Post-match: Minnesota United FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 4/29) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 0 - 1 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes scored only one goal in a three game road trip, but at least it was a game-winning goal.

3. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news, Flo and Cato really good games.

Same for Godoy and Cerren.

Bad news Dom employed for another week.

markmcf8, leocal11, evade6317 and 3 others repped this.
  4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much a perfect Dom game. Those guys were really bad, and we barely beat them, but hey, three points is three points.

DotMPP, ColinMcCarthy, Beerking and 3 others repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I only watched the second half but the Quakes looked good, moving the ball around well, maintaining possession, stretching out the field. Jungwirth deserved motm, he had a great game. Sarkodie was solid too and I'm pretty sure he saved a point blank game tying goal off the line with his head. Hyka looked good too. We needed that.

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florian Jungwirth for Captain!

Who is flo's black brother? I missed that joke in Flo's post-game interview.

7. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Expansion team notwithstanding, its still a win and three valuable points in the standings. I guess the road trip wasn't all for not.

9. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Burn the tape. That was a bad match from the 1996 MLS season, complete with the football insignia.

Both teams will end up below the red line.

Jungwirth is a keeper (not that kind). I wonder how he describes the crap team he plays for or these plastic fields to his buddies back in Germany.

I don't think either Lima or Dawkins were ever injured. And if Dawkins was newly recovered, why play him on such a bad surface to risk re-injury? I think he had more fouls than positive touches.

Portland should dismantle the Quakes next week. Kinnear will bunker to avoid embarrassment and hope to steal a 1-0 lucky victory (like tonight). Was that really a corner kick? I think that's the first goal SJ has scored on a CK since 2015. And that's the offensive game plan.

Kinnear Out.

markmcf8, leocal11, SJTillIDie and 6 others repped this.
  10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm most disturbed by our new guys, not including Flo. The ones who looked so good just last month and now seem to be phoning it in.

We deserved to win but that's not saying much. A more seasoned team would have easily crushed us.

11. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #11 chris thebassplayer, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    They aren't that good, but our second half was solid. I like that we made an attempt to get more attack on the field. We made adjustments, it wasn't business as usual. Flo, Godoy and Hyka were very good...I'm not a fan of Cato at fullback, but he was solid...frustrating when he gets up field. He gets himself in great positions, but the final decision and execution are poor.

Very interesting to see Lima at LB ...wondering if that will be considered going forward.

Big three points.

12. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    12 points, 5th place right now, and four games at home and five on the road. Pleased to see Hoesen, Urbena, Wondo & Hyka all starting. Now if we could just get TT in there alongside them I would be more upbeat.

13. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 bobby_guzman, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Shit. We'll get you next time Dom. That was some ugly soccer, the goal was OK. Parking the bus after the goal though....ARGH!

Kinnear Out!!!!

14. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cerén is better than Alashe. I hope Dom agrees. I disagree that we were bad and they were worse. I think getting Cerén and Hoesen on the field made a difference. We were more skillful than previously in the middle and had a attacking threats at both wide mid positions. As a result, we had attack-oriented possession for much of the game. Very few passes back to Bingham.

15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Really upset that Jungwirth bailed out such an anemic offense. At this rate, he'll be the team's top scorer this year. Kinnear has got to go. It was sickening to listen to the commentator praise Kinnear's success from a decade ago like it was relevant.

xbhaskarx and bobby_guzman repped this.
  16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Woohoo! I won a six-pack :D

markmcf8, DotMPP, ColinMcCarthy and 8 others repped this.
  17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The reason for the better play of San Jose is only because Minnesota is a very bad team. Against any experienced MLS teams, they get run off the field, as they did against Houston.

18. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Dom will point out we've 4 points from 9 on a road trip. That's play off form.

None of us want this, none of us are wantingly paying our money for this level of excruciatingly boring soccer, but thems be facts. At this rate Dom is going to fulfil his season's targets.

Beerking, xbhaskarx and bobby_guzman repped this.
  19. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ceren is better for possession...he gets better each game he plays...more composure on the ball and better under pressure...cuts down on the turnovers....probably just keeping the spot warm until the summer ACM DP comes in...fingers crossed.

20. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member

Nov 9, 2006
    I knew it! Kinnear saves his a$$ for another week! Crappy game played by two crappy teams. This is how the season is going to go. Kinnear will squeak out just enough wins to save his job, but the overall product will remain the same=CRAP!

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The execution in the final third was off, but that game was far from boring...we were sending balls into the box left and right in the second half...looked like we were going to hang a couple more on them.

22. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Better, but, not brilliant by any stretch

Beerking repped this.
  23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the ref was pretty good...better than his usual. He set a couple of picks, though, on players trying to run through the middle. He's one of the fit refs so props to him for that.

Alashe managed to be terrible in only a few minutes.
    I think playing Hoeson on the wing in order to keep Wondo on the field is stupid. Particularly since Wondo drops back too much and just doesn't look good anyway. Dom needs to be brave enough to use him as a sub. I love Wondo's passion but that can't be why he starts week in and week out.
    Cato's a very mixed bag. He contributes to the offense, but makes so many stupid mistakes. Lima is much better.
    Urena had a very off night.
    Sarkodie looked to be covered in rust and didn't combine well at all. But he had a goal-saving play in the 2nd half so that salvages his night. Better than Colvey...no.
    The Gophers football stadium is lovely...for that purpose; but I despise turf. It's always lucky to get out of games played anywhere on turf without injury.
    Both the lineup and the sub choices were odd yet again. Happy to win. Sad to win, since losing maybe could of gotten Kinnear fired.

SoccerMan94043 and Socarchist repped this.
  24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Watching this game more closely, I think it is a great example of just how horrifically organized the midfield is. It is atrocious. Godoy runs twenty yards up, twenty yards back, never stays in the middle an wastes a ton of energy without accomplishing much of anything. Ceren is deep, playing in front of the center defense, leaving a huge hole in front of him. Hyke then has to go in and try to be the pivot point, leaving the right side of the field to be manned entirely by Cato until he can move back out wide. 90% of the time they just opt to concede the center of the field entirely rather than try to relieve pressure and built out through quick, concise passes. Unfortunately for all of us, Minnesota is god awful, so they couldn't punish the Quakes.

My tweets are going to be extra vicious about Kinnear this week.

markmcf8, Beerking, bobby_guzman and 2 others repped this.
  25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Whew! Thank goodness for expansion teams!" - Dom Kinnear

We beat the worst team in the league. 1-0. In ugly fashion.

The bell tolls for thee, Dom.