Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by JOkEr713, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's weird that MNUTD would come out and say "this stadium is happening and we are paying for it" only for it to be really "this is probably happening but we need some tax breaks & infrastructure commitments".

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not so sure its weird. Now if they were coming out and saying they wanted city taxes to subsidize the stadium, obviously that would have been dead man walking. Asking for infrastructure help in an area that is marked for revitalization anyway I don't think is a big ask, in fact quite appropriate in a "you scratch my back I scratch yours" relationship. the City Council of Minnesota would be dumb to pass that up. I mean they could, but I think/hope cooler heads prevail and realize this is a great opportunity to be had for the city. They should be happy a 100 percent private funded stadium is coming into the area and that all they are asking for is infrastructure and tax breaks.

bullsear, Dead Fingers and Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pretty much this. They're building the stadium. They just want a bump in the process. I used to tailgate over there for Gopher football and it was a shit hole. It's been drastically improved now with Target Field and will only get better. Is the money important now or is positive benefits long term for downtown better?

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not weird to ask for help it's just that they said "we got this, it's happening" when in reality it's not a done deal.

Hopefully the politicos and taxpayers fall in line.

6. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I have talked to a former legislature and asked if the state, city or county are stupid enough to give up a free privately built $ 150 million dollar stadium? He said no, this is all just posturing. Don't be surprised if the club plays a season or two in the Twins stadium or the club could bring in an additional 10k seats until the stadium is being built. Don't be fooled into thinking the club doesn't have options or MLS decides to pull the franchise from the United group. It may take time but this is a done deal.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ This.

Dayton goes from "not one dime" to "well, infrastructure is something we'll look at" to "the taxpayers will be pleasantly surprised by the private-public money ratio"...

Bakk goes from "Dear Commisioner Garber, don't even bother showing up to ask..." to "this request seems quite reasonable..."

I expect Hodges will quietly say something similar in another month or so...

8. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    It's just a long process. Either way this ownership group doesn't come all this way only to lose a MLS franchise. This is a done deal. The loons either start in 2018 or 2017 depending on LAFC.

9. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    joehooligan0303 and 4four4 repped this.
  10. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article doesn't paint a pretty picture and it is definitely how I have perceived the situation to be. Team was awarded with no stadium plan finalized. I thought MLS was past those days. I thought they learned their lesson with Miami and NYCFC (now even Orlando who had finalized stadium plans is hitting road blocks), but I guess not.
    I hope it works out. I really like this ownership group, but I am afraid this will drag on for years.

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, Joe...trust those of us who live here. Things are quiet. That's good. That means more things are quietly moving behind the scenes. The Minneapolis City Council can override any decision made by the mayor. They were pretty close to having those votes about the time this article came out three weeks ago. This thing is getting done. It's getting done before Miami, before NYCFC, and before LAFC, for that matter.

Lalo37, bullsear, 4four4 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah as much as some people in Govt want to throw a hissy fit; this stadium deal is too good to pass up. Something will get worked out.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  13. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Last I heard there are more votes closer to saying yes to override the mayors vote. Who knows she may come to her senses and say yes. Ha. I doubt it.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  14. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I should also point out if the stadium deal does not get done this year it likely will get done sometime this year or next year with the city, county or state legislature. All is not lost if they don't strike a deal before the deadline.

aetraxx7 and Bluecat82 repped this.
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys are sitting much prettier than Miami, and LA 2 for that matter. you guys have nothing to wrry about.

16. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Totally.

MLS really wanted to be in the midwest and if St. Louis can get their "act" together they will likely follow the Twin Cities in the years to come. MLS has every region taken care of but the midwest.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #768 OWN(yewu)ED, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    i got St Louis in the 27-28 region, in with Indy if all goes well. Sac/Miami 24/25 and San Antonio 26

Then Id like to see something in Carolina, south could use one more good solid team down there, maybe even Jacksonville who is pulling well. all about that that owner and stadium tho. hell id be completely content if Jacksonville got the team over Miami, i think itd make more sense

aetraxx7 and 4four4 repped this.
  18. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So can we get an update on the whole Minnesota joining in 2017 instead of 2018? Whats the chances of each?

@4four4 @Bluecat82

20. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll fit in squirts of info between conference calls here (yes, I am expected to work on occasion) :)

The club came out a while ago - several months, in fact - and said 2016 was going to be the last one in the NASL...leading to all kinds of speculation what was going down for 2017, knowing the Loon Palace...wherever it was going to be built, and far from certain at the time this came out...wouldn't be ready until 2018.

SoccerPrime and 4four4 repped this.
  21. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part 2:

Last week there was a podcast with Dr. McGuire (posted on the epic Minnesota announcement thread under News and Analysis) where he stated that he's asked the league if they could start in 2017, and the ball was in their (MLS's) court.

Which of course, still begs the question...where would they play in 2017?

I think the official word will come after MLS Cup. If I was putting money down in Vegas, I'd say 2017. Of course, if I was any good at putting money down in Vegas, I wouldn't be providing these posts between conference calls for my day job, so consider that.

SoccerPrime and 4four4 repped this.
  22. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    We keep hearing 2017 but 2018 wouldn't be out of left field. Since, United is currently in the NASL it's best for them to leave ASAP. We can already see the league not doing the club any favors like scheduling, voting on awards etc.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to both of you. It seems that MLS might want pairs to come in and Minnesota seem to be the last hope to get someone to come in with Atlanta in 2017. Not that its essential that they come in together.

I assume they would play at Target Field in 17?

Bluecat82 repped this.
  24. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    That's what we have been thinking but we don't know.

Bluecat82 repped this.