Milan vs Manchester United pre/during/post match [R] CL Semi-Final Leg 2

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by FNU, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The other thread is locked, so I figured start a build up thread. I'll let a Milanista start the pre/during/post thread when it's time since it's not my place. :)
    [youtube]5nUopwmiZEI[/youtube]

AC Milan will look to turn the clock back almost 50 years when Manchester United FC visit the Giuseppe Meazza defending a 3-2 lead in the UEFA Champions League semi-final.

• It was in May 1958 in the last four of the European Champion Clubs' Cup that Milan became the first and so far only team to overturn a first-leg deficit against United in Europe's élite competition. Then as now Milan lost a lead at Old Trafford and succumbed to a late goal, going down 2-1 to a Tommy Taylor strike on 80 minutes.

• Milan undid the damage on home soil, however, as Juan Schiaffino (2), Nils Liedholm and Giancarlo Danova earned the Rossoneri a handsome 4-0 victory. Save for that reverse, United have won 22 ties in the European Cup and UEFA Champions League - qualifiers included - in which they have held an advantage from the first leg.

• United hold the upper hand this time thanks to Wayne Rooney's added-time winner in a thrilling first leg. Milan appeared in control at the interval at Old Trafford as they responded to Cristiano Ronaldo's early header with two goals from Kaká. However, Rooney made it 2-2 on 59 minutes before flashing the ball past Dida for a second time moments from the end.

• United are within one victory of a century of wins in the European Cup, including qualifying, a feat that has only been achieved by three other clubs. Real Madrid CF have been successful 173 times in Europe's premier club competition, followed by FC Bayern München (115) and semi-final rivals Milan (106).

• In 50 years of European competition, United have surrendered a winning position only four times, that 1958 loss to Milan included. The most recent instance was in the 1984/85 UEFA Cup quarter-finals against Székesfehérvári Videoton SC. Following a 1-0 home win they were then beaten by the same scoreline in Hungary before bowing out 5-4 on penalties.

• For their part, Milan have faced a first-leg deficit six times before in Europe's élite competition and won through on half of those occasions. Their most recent victory in these circumstances was in the 1968/69 first round where they overcame Malmö FF 4-1 on home soil after a 2-1 loss in Sweden.

• Their most recent defeat, meanwhile, was in last season's semi-final against FC Barcelona where they went down 1-0 at home before a goalless draw at the Camp Nou.

• The last time Milan retrieved a first-leg loss in any European club competition came in their UEFA Cup quarter-final against Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC in March 2002. After a 1-0 away reverse, Milan triumphed 2-0 at San Siro through a Rui Costa strike and Shimon Gershon's own goal.

• Milan have a 100 per cent record against United in two-legged contests. Following that first confrontation in the 1957/58 European Cup semi-final, the sides met again at the semi-final stage in 1968/69. Milan won 2-1 on aggregate, following up a 2-0 home success with a 1-0 defeat in Manchester, where present-day United director Sir Bobby Charlton found the net.

• The Rossoneri recorded 1-0 victories both at home and away in the teams' first knockout round encounter in 2004/05, Hernán Crespo claiming the only goal on both occasions.

• The teams for the second leg of that tie in Milan on 8 March 2005 were:
    Milan: Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini, Gattuso (Costacurta 88), Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa (Dhorasoo 85), Kaká, Crespo (Ambrosini 78).
    United: Howard, Brown (Smith 85), Ferdinand, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, Keane, Scholes, Rooney, Giggs (Fortune 57), Van Nistelrooy.

• Milan have never lost at home to English opposition, recording six wins and five draws in eleven matches.

• Carlo Ancelotti's side have had mixed fortunes at home in the UEFA Champions League this season. In the group stage they defeated AEK Athens FC 3-0 and RSC Anderlecht 4-1 before losing 2-0 to LOSC Lille Métropole with qualification already assured. In the first knockout round they beat Celtic FC 1-0 through Kaká's extra-time goal, thus securing an aggregate win by the same scoreline. Then in the quarter-finals they were held 2-2 at home by FC Bayern München before a 2-0 away success.

• United have lost three of five away games in their 2006/07 campaign. In the group stage they beat SL Benfica 1-0 in September but went down by the same score at Celtic FC and FC København. Ryan Giggs earned them a 1-0 win at Lille in the first knockout round – setting them on the path to a 2-0 aggregate success – while in the quarter-finals, they succumbed 2-1 at AS Roma but made amends in spectacular fashion with a 7-1 home triumph.

• That defeat at Roma was United's ninth in 12 visits to Italy. They have won only twice away to Serie A opposition but their first success was against a Juventus side under Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti in the 1999 UEFA Champions League semi-final. Famously United trailed 2-0 to two goals from Filippo Inzaghi – now a Milan player - before replying through efforts from Roy Keane, Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole to triumph 3-2 on the night and 4-3 overall.

• Milan are aiming to reach their tenth European Cup final and United their third. The Italian team's most recent final appearance was two years ago, where they lost to Liverpool FC on penalties after a 3-3 draw in Istanbul. It was in 1999, meanwhile, that United were last in the final, overcoming FC Bayern München 2-1 in Barcelona.

• Overall Milan have previously been semi-finalists eleven times in this competition and only twice have they failed to go on to the final – losing to Real Madrid CF in 1955/56 and to FC Barcelona last season. Milan reached the 1992/93 final direct from the group stage.

• United's record at this stage of Europe's élite competition is less impressive, their eight previous semi-finals bringing just two victories. The most recent of their six semi-final losses came five years ago when they went down on away goals to Bayer 04 Leverkusen.

• Milan would play another Premiership team if they reached the final. Besides their 2005 defeat by Liverpool, they have won their two other UEFA finals against English clubs. They defeated Leeds United AFC 1-0 in the 1972/73 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final and Arsenal FC 2-0 on aggregate in the 1994 UEFA Super Cup, played in February 1995.

• United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar played in Serie A between 1999 and 2001 with Juventus, while Mikaël Silvestre, out for the season with a shoulder injury, spent the 1998/99 campaign at Inter. His fellow French defender Patrice Evra also played in Italy in the late 1990s for Marsala Calcio and Monza Calcio but never in the top flight.

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Build up thread- Milan vs MU

I wish I could rep you, but I already have recently.
    Fantastic and informative post.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

I see it fails to even mention the Munich air disaster. Pretty disappointing.

4. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Let the fans support the team like no other and let the Diavolos show the Devils where they are.

Let's stay aggressive and foucsed for 90 minutes and let football gods decide who will they support.

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a feeling we could once again witness one of those great San Siro nights in the CL. It should be noted that since Berlusconi took over the club in 1986 Milan have never failed to advance in the knockout stage when they had the second leg at home. If we only need one goal with time running out and Pippo's on the field ManU can just go home ;) Because Pippo always come through when we need him to :)

Milan/Ajax 2003 Quarterfinals 2nd Leg
    [youtube]CjyYwOJkrJk[/youtube]

Milan/Lyon 2006 Quarterfinals 2nd Leg
    [youtube]7TmRc1-2TGs[/youtube]

FORZA PIPPO!

6. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

yeah, I really want inzaghi out there, not gila, or at least bring inzaghi as a sub if there are fitness concerns

7. RedDevilBlue

RedDevilBlue New Member

Apr 5, 2007

2nd Leg
    The question is whether United will score. That is, can Milan keep a clean sheet?
    I think no. Based upon how well the Red Devils have played in attack this season and how many goals they have scored. Everyone talks about how badly they have played away from home in Europe, but I think consistency throughout the whole season will prevail. United have scored a lot of goals this season.

So if United do score then this is what Milan needs to do;
    - if United score 1, Milan must score 2
    - if United score 2, Milan must score 3

Based upon Milan's depleted attack, and United's strength of attack, I think the odds are against Milan. And, if United's defenders come back, then I think Milan have no chance.
    I am surprised, that United won the first leg, I was expecting either a draw, or a loss, because the whole of United's first choice defensive line was out injured.
    If Milan are going to attack, which they must, then they will leave themselves vulnerable on the counter, and we all know how well United play that game. Milan must attack AND defend which is very hard as it requires you to push up very high, and then run back very quickly. If Milan do not have a quick, and fit team, then they will be in big trouble.
    United have lots of players who can threaten in attack; they are all dangerous and can score goals; Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Carrick, Smith, Saha.

For Milan however the defensive tactics are simple;

No Kaka = No Milan.

Gilardino is ineffectual, and Pippo is not at his best. I'm sure Sir Alex will find a way to shut down Kaka, as he did with Totti.

I expect 1-1 draw.
    But if United's defenders come back, then United will win either 1-2, or 1-3.
    I'm sorry Rossoneri, you have great players and great history, however the Red Devils look too strong this season. This is our year, we deserve it, and we will the treble (League, FA cup, CL) one more time. If justice is to be done, then Milan should not make it to the final as they have been embroiled in a match-fixing scandal that should have seen them eliminated from the competition in the first place. If Milan were to make the Champions League final then there would be no justice in football.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

My thoughts exactly.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I wish I could rep you 10 times over.
    Great goals by true goal poacher!
    The man just knows how to score.

10. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Good analysis. One thing you fail to mention though is the Heart of Man U. Anybody who saw the Everton game today would have to agree that this team has tremendous Heart.

11. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Italian sources are reporting that SuperPippo will indeed get the start and Gila is sent to the bench.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

I'm not so sure about that. Granted he offers more attacking wise but Gila is far better at holding the ball up and allowing the likes of Kaka to come into the game. I think your attack suffers with only Pippo. I would use him in the game but Gila would definitely play his part.

13. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

maybe usually, teso, but I think gila's work rate and trapping were very poor the other night. I don't know if it was the pressure or his loss of confidence, but he was awful in all aspects. At parma he could do it all it seemed, yet for milan he seems to digress in all areas, not just scoring, even possession and trapping and aerial battles for 50/50 balls. the problem is, with oliveira not gonna be allowed anywhere near the pitch by ancelotti it seems and having ronaldo cup-tied and boriello drug-tied (the player not the poster;) ) that leaves only inzaghi and gila. By the evidence of the first quarter of the serie a season, these two can't coexist. it is one or the other (or one then the other if you use one as a sub for the other, but not the two together). and with gila's awful form and if inzaghi is fit, then i say go with inzaghi. heck, his specialty is capitalizing on the mistakes of others and if united's defense is still makeshift (depends on rio's and vidic's recovery), plus van der sar's recent shakiness, then his poaching ability might be even more valuable. Imho, I say go with inzaghi. if gila is to play a part, then maybe late if we get desperate, but even then, we might be better off subbing in an offensive-minded midfielder like gourcuff late than gila. I know that sounds tough, and maybe I am being unfair, but I just don't trust gila at all right now.

14. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Obviously Inzaghi is much more experienced than Gila at this level, but we need Inzaghi up front. We need him to play along the offside line, annoy defenders, and be there at the right time to put a ball in the back of the net.

15. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Gila is meant for one thing, to score easy goals, while Inzaghi works for his goals and opens up great defenses and that's what we will need on Wednesday.

16. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan

History always prevails in these situations.

Milan's too good to be beat up at home.

17. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan

Dont jynx us, please.

18. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan

No fear my son, no fear.

19. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Even though I usuall agree with you, last year semis was the first time Milan lost a semi-final in a CL, and history was on our side then as well.

But this year will be different:D

20. Wog Vader

Wog Vader Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami Beach

OMG! I remember watching that Lyon game live, and I never realized how close he was to being offside on that goal!! Thanks to Lyon players for hustling back on defense.

21. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The match fixing(which I don't even think Milan did, it was something else...?) has nothing to do with the CL, Milan were bumped down and had to qualify for the CL either way. Even UEFA stated it was not in their jurisdiction to punish Milan because they don't control domestic leagues with specific issues concerning the domestic leagues. Anyways, you might be right about the game, but is Rio and Vidic that much better when they're coming off of injuries/rusty?

22. RedDevilBlue

RedDevilBlue New Member

Apr 5, 2007

I don't know.
    But I sure as hell would prefer to have Rio and Vidic in the center, rather than O'Shea and Brown that's for sure. And having Fletcher who's a midfielder at right back is a shocker too ... everyone at United is injured and we're still winning ... unbelievable.
    I watched the Milan v Torino ... without Kaka they really don't look lethal in attack. But we'll just have to wait and see. Kaka could have a miracle game and get a hat-trick ...
    I expect a draw; either 1-1 or 2-2 depending upon how United's injured players recover. Milan just have Maldini out and Gattusso should be back.

23. RedDevilBlue

RedDevilBlue New Member

Apr 5, 2007

That's why United scored 7-1 against Roma.

24. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Time will tell, but I am a lot more comfortable having the team play at San Siro as I know the fans will be a huge life and support for the entire match.

P.S. Maybe mods can change the title of this thread to the Official ManU v. Milan second leg and thus we can just continue doing our thing here?

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC