Milan in Serie A 2018-19

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by stphnsn, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    another win. keep the good times rolling

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just curious to know, what exactly is the problem if they or any other team make the Europa League? I recall historically, when it was called the UEFA CUP that it was a very prestigious tournament, so what has changed? Isn't there any money in it?

3. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The UEFA Cup used to be a prestigious competition when it was restricted to the teams that had placed 2nd and 3rd in their league.

After television started to dominate the game, the format for the European Cup (which became the Champions League) was changed in order to create more match-ups, and therefore garner a huge increase in tv ratings and the massive influx of money from advertisements, teams that placed 2nd and 3rd in their leagues qualifying for that competition instead. It was then that the prestige of the UEFA Cup declined precipitously.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But don't they get more games, money from advertisements as well as ticket sales etc teams for these Europa League games? If so, I'm sure they are making something. I mean maybe not like the CL but its something extra...

It has to be better than the old Cup Winners Cup or the Coppa Italia...

5. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because nobody is interested in watching Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk vs. Hammarby in a summer qualifier except for Dnipro and Hammarby fans. The ratings (and therefore the advertising and the money) are with the big clubs: Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, etc etc.

Therefore there's comparatively little financial incentive for the more prominent clubs to care about the competition. When the UEFA Cup was restricted to clubs that placed 2nd and 3rd in their league, it was common for them (the very big clubs) to make regular appearances in the competition. That changed when the format changed. That's why the different tiers of prominent clubs is becoming so ossified and pronounced.

Ajax is a huge club with an extraordinary history. 15-20 years ago, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal if they had defeated a Manchester United or a Real Madrid. Now it's regarded as a huge upset, because it is. Even a club like Ajax can't compete with the money generated by the bigger leagues. What chance does Red Star Belgrade have of ever winning the CL, let alone a Nottingham Forest? None, unless there's a sheer miracle. The difference now is how money affects the game.

odessit19 and Rossonero23 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It still has to be better than the Coppa Italia. No one makes anything off of that. Unless you get to the final.

7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    there's a trade off though. if you're going to play your full squad in an EL game, everyone's going to be tired for the league game on the weekend. that means you drop points. is advancing in the EL worth dropping down the league table a couple places? that affects the money too.

scirea6 repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I believe you are right. What they should do is put more money or sponsors into the EL

9. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly. Because your league standing will determine how much, if any, money a club receives from UEFA.

That's why the emphasis on finishing in the top 3 or 4 is considered the be all and end all. Winning the league can be less important than simply finishing above 5th place, which, if you think about it, is rather ridiculous.

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    I was looking at it from the perspective of the clubs who aren't necessarily trying to qualify for the CL, what I'd call the third tier teams in Italy. I don't know how the prize money gets broken out for the Serie A, but I assume 5th place gets more than 8th does. If you're putting a real effort into the EL, you probably drop in the league, and I assume that lowers your league prize money more than you'd make for advancing in the EL.

It goes without saying that finishing 4th and qualifying for the CL is much more attractive than finishing 5th and losing the final or reaching the semis of the EL. That's night and day financially.

11. Cyclops1776

Cyclops1776 Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Using this season as an example I was glad we got out of the UEL early bc the league is waaayyyyy more important to us this year with UCL qualifications an absolute must. Until there is more money in the UEL it won’t be worth sacrificing for unless it’s your only viable option into UCL or you are so well positioned in the League/Cup that you can reasonably swing it and not worry.

12. Cyclops1776

Cyclops1776 Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Anybody have thoughts on Castillejo starting over Suso? He has been better lately and we need to come out firing tomorrow.

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Finally back in this one now.

14. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Shit heads.

Rosay, johnny6 and Midfield General repped this.
  16. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ref bought by Moratti. Some outrageous shit

17. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    WTF was that call?!!!

Rosay and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gattuso's first loss of 2019.....

20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    MoRATti

21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    sucks to lose especially to the scum, gotta keep our heads up and keep winning. saw the highlights and heard it was a hell of a game. My dad said most exciting derby in a while. Forza Milan.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  22. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Mentally weak team. No CL ever again.

23. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Horrible, just awful display of football.

Rossonero23 and Rosay repped this.
  24. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Don't top 4 qualify?

25. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+