Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. miklagard

miklagard Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    We had a nice win today.
    Important to create som table distance between us and Pohang Steelers.
    Jørn "from North Korea" held Suwon Bluewings to a draw, and that helped us in the battle for 3.place, and the consequential prize - an AFC CL play-off slot.
    #1 and #2 will go straigt to the Asian Football Confederation's(AFC) Champions League(CL) group play, while the Korean FA Cup champ gets the third and last direct slot.

We are still in contention for the Fa Cup title since we made it to the qarter-finals stage a few weeks back.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    004EFC45-757E-477B-B5BE-2ED68112AB52.jpeg

From his Insta Story. Glad he is enjoying his time and playing well.

3. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    #7778 dsnipes1, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Mix,

Great to see you continuing your successful loan here in Ulsan! Congrats on the win over the weekend.

I am the Athletic Director at Chadwick International School in Songdo (near the airport in Incheon) and we'd love to have you come up for a visit if possible while you're here in the land of the morning calm.

We've been blessed in the recent past with a lot of exciting events around sport. In 2017 we hosted the Ecuador U20's while they were here for the U20 World Cup (http://www.ecuafutbol.org/web/noticia.php?idn=21145&idc=11#.W5_F5CN97LZ, and ). And last year we were the staging site for the Canadian Olympic Committee and had the luge and skeleton athletes training on campus for weeks leading up to the Winter Olympics.

That said, I think you have much to offer our kids in relation to who you are, the international nature of our community, and the mission focus of our athletics program. We have a number of Korean students who grew up abroad and are dual passport holders and can be characterized as third culture kids. Songdo is also home to the UN Green Climate Fund and the World Bank branch office in Korea, so we have a number of non-Korean students in our school who have moved all over the world as well. There are the typical issues of cliques and divisions within the student population, and many deal with questions of identity. We see this play out in our athletics teams as well so we have a mission focus each year (Our mission is: "Chadwick Schools develop global citizens with keen minds, exemplary character, self-knowledge, and the ability to lead"). Last year our focus was "exemplary character" and this year it is "the ability to lead." If you could speak to our kids regarding your thoughts on the ability to lead while weaving in your experience being a part of diverse teams, I know our kids would gain so much from your perspective.

We have some connections with Incheon United and have had their players come to speak to our kids in the past. But I think ultimately, your perspective will be one of great value to our community and we'd love to have you if your schedule allows.

I'm happy to discuss specifics if you're open to coming up for a visit. We also can likely facilitate a meeting with Coach Jørn since you're keen for insight into North Korea.

Sorry for the long read!

CI_AthleticsCharacterCode2017-18.jpg
    THE ABILITY TO LEAD.jpg

4. miklagard

miklagard Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Athletic Director dsnipes1,

Maybe life is like a box of chocolates?

Thanks for the outreach.

I spent a portion of my free time yesterday to educate myself a bit on your school and its objectives.

I wish I had had the opportunity to be around the same principles and goals during my own schooling. By going through your "home page" or "ads" I think I understand what you all in staff positions shoot for or attempt in Songdo (or in California). So, I'd like to visit, if possible, and get a feel for how close to your goals and objectives you in fact manage to run your program.

1 instructor/adult/teacher per 8 student/kid/child sounds expensive. I went to a public school myself, and that ratio was at that time more than a little outside the realm of possibility for our Schoolmaster.

Most of your students are probably privileged. And it might be a good thing that not a too large percentage of them realize that fact to its fullest extent, cause they are still kids - living their lives in their peer groups. Their, or that, sentiment probably reflects my own; since I myself am a kid that never truly has grown up. Life has been fortunate/easy in comparison to most others, and I guess that those fortunes implies moral responsibility, which I, like many, too often forget. Therefore, I side with your students. Ha ha.

However, on the topic of being privileged: My father used to be a teacher for awhile, and he said; "the most privileged in a school will always be the teachers because they constantly get to work with the most interesting and important generation of people on our planet. The privilege is huge, it's just that I and many others can't afford it anymore. It's a different kind of privilege."

I hope we do get to meet. If Jørn could show up too, and discuss and give a speech on N-Korea, it would be fantastic. I could talk about ethics in sports, and you and him about ethics in foreign affairs and politics - then we could all learn something - what a day that would be!

If we also invite and include Ri Chun Hee, Kellyanne Conway and Abby Wambach on Skype, I think I might come across as an humble, childish and child-minded person and totally excused for my speech impediments. Are you on?

5. miklagard

miklagard Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    Stabaek IF

Allergies - show up around someones eyes. Any tips?

6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Whisky

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  7. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Mix,

I've been sneezing like crazy the past couple days, the change in seasons is getting to me bad too.

I'm going to stop by the reserve league match tomorrow between Incheon United reserves and Ansan Greeners from K-League 2. I should be able to meet up with Jørn beforehand so I'll inquire then about him joining you for a joint presentation to our students. If you could let me know potential dates where you could be available to come up here, that would be very helpful. Mondays are especially good as that's when we have our weekly Upper School assembly, but we can certainly put together a special assembly on a different day of the week if necessary.

To address some of your observations, yes, many of our students are privileged, though certainly not all. As I mentioned previously, most of our foreign students are here due to their parents' jobs at the UN Green Climate Fund, World Bank, or one of the various biotech companies headquartered here (including Samsung Biologics). A few of those parents are higher level administrators, but many are not, and lower level workers in those organizations could likely be characterized as middle class. We also offer significant financial aid to some of our students and our new Head of School is making moves to increase the socio-economic diversity of our student population.

Speaking of our Head of School, I shared the quote from your father with him in reference to my hope that you can come to address our students, and he wholeheartedly agrees and shares that hope as well.

I'll hopefully speak with Jørn tomorrow and will let you know what I hear from him.

Hope your allergies calm down.

8. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Inflammation around the eyes related to salt intake. Avoid those processed Korean noodles, convenience and packaged foods. Lots of chemical stabilizers in that industrialized crap. Big Pharma makes big $ on the "allergy" racket. Get 'em hooked on treating the symptoms not the underlying causes. Big medicine plays the role of willing intermediary in the deliberate scheme.

Continued enlightenment on your far eastern journey.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    So, does Mix have a chance of ever getting back in the National team conversation? The South Korean league is nothing to sneeze at, I think he should be in the running for a position at next summer's Gold Cup if he continues to play well.

But realistically, he needs to move back to Europe or MLS to get in the "mix". Ideally someplace like the Netherlands, France, or Germany.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    His career has been wild I gotta say. I think his time with the national team has passed. Midfield is pretty stacked with young talent for the US, and even if he does well in Korea, I don't really want him over someone like Lletget, Delgado, Adams, etc.

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I haven't seen him play in years. But, I'd like to see him tried as a 10 for us. It's not like we actually have one.

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pulisic, Weah, and Green.

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Really?

Pulisic, imo, is not best used as a 10. But, let's say we use him as a 10. That's one.

Weah? When has he played a 10 and why would it not be a waste to take him out of his more natural positions?

Green? I don't know if you've been following current events, but Green isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I can't help myself, since I like Mix...

Mix has put his best performances in a US shirt when Landon was on the field. The US now has a player with a lot of LD's characteristics in their player pool. Maybe if Mix keeps raising his game and gets back in the US setup....

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pulisic has had his best appearances for the US in the #10 role. Pulisic even said he would prefer to play the #10 role if he had his choice.

Weah has not had success out wide, and has played striker for PSG.

Mix is so far out of the picture now, I cannot see him coming back in.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I already gave you Puli. I don't think 10 is his best spot. He's neither an assist or scoring machine. But, if we have no other options, ok.

Weah: 10 and striker are not the same thing.

Green: you left him out this time.

Mix: Ya, he's way out of the picture. I'm quite sure he won't be called in again. All I said was I'd like to see him tried as a 10. I think his skill set is well suited for the position. And, he's a big guy. He may give us an aerial threat in the box that we don't have. (Wood recently scored a couple of headed goals, but the defending on those was really poor. He did a good job of ghosting, but he didn't have to actually win the ball in the air. In short, for a "9", I think Wood's aerial game is weak).

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    this is of course scientific nonsense. For allergies you can use cold compresses on eyes plus some non-sleepy anti-histamines. Love, a biomedical professor

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    how are you guys so sure Mix wont be back? Is he dead? Contagious disease? Maybe it depends how he is playing (S Korea has quite a decent team and many of their players play in Korean league).

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    FYP

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The level of play we have seen out of the USMNT midfield lately in no way suggests Mix should be out of the picture, but being in SK makes the return ticket harder.

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its crazy to think the USMNT won 12 straight games that Mix appeared in 2013...

wonder when another player will equal that feat - seems like it wont't be happening anytime soon!

(PS I think MLS did him dirty - and NYCFC's record with Americans isn't really making his failure to shine there look that bad in hindsight - literally no American player aside from Ben Sweat (for now) has seen their career improve @ NYCFC)

UniversalAdvice and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I hope he will be.

23. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Looks like Mix finished second in Newcomer of the Year voting. Nice!

1067402779805790208 is not a valid tweet id

Google Translation of the tweet:
    Mix Diskerud also makes success in South Korea. A second place in the prize as the newcomer of the year, which can be seen as impressive given that he signed halfway into the season. #ifkgbg

24. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    It appears that Mix and Ulsan will be taking on Daegu for the Korean FA Cup final. First leg is on 12/5, second leg is on 12/7.

Two days rest? Rough. Best of luck to Mix though, go get that trophy!

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.