Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    or perhaps a return to Belgium

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

deuteronomy repped this.
  3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nerds.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC should have loaned him somewhere uncomfortable. Much easier to encourage someone to play ball with you when they are not in the best city in the world.

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i have to admit i didn't see the "offseason buyout without release" being an option NYC had. mix doesn't have as much leverage as we thought. NYC and MLS still own his rights, but the salary doesn't count against NYC. he's going to have to negotiate if he wants to play anywhere in the next two seasons. bummer.

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this works out for our boy, Mix:

http://www.espnfc.com/new-york-city...k-city-fc-exit-confirmed-with-contract-buyout

The most likely path forward is that Diskerud finds a new club overseas, but how that would happen is still unclear. The two sides could agree on a lump sum payment and then terminate the contract, freeing Diskerud up to go find a new club. But much will depend on how much of the $1.5 million left on the contract NYCFC is willing to pick up. Another option is a full transfer, but that would likely see Diskerud take a significant pay cut.

With so much money remaining to be paid on the contract, a loan to a foreign club would make sense for both sides. It would allow Diskerud to still collect his salary, while also relieving NYCFC of at least some of its financial obligation to the player.

The transfer window for Norway, where Diskerud played previously with Stabaek and Rosenborg is March 31, and that's why there doesn't seem to be any rush on the part of NYCFC or the league to move the player to another club.
    One league source indicated that Diskerud might not find a new team until this summer.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All parties would need to agree to a loan.

Placid Casual repped this.
  8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see MLS wanting to be in business to pay someone not to play. They are going to have to pay him something to make him go somewhere else though. He either sits around making 750K over the next two years, which is not such a bad thing, or takes a buyout and is free to sign anywhere he can get someone to pay him again.

9. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, like the back of a Volkswagen?

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's the unhappy medium is they find a number they're both equally dissatisfied with, around half, to part ways finally and end this loveless marriage. Then they can each find themselves a new partner.

But the transfer windows complicate things here, as it often does. Does he really want to go back to Norway, and how much would they want him for? I thought Norway was a start, not an end. They'd also have leverage. Might be better off waiting, if he can be a little more patient. He's come this far. I mean it's a couple months. That's a short time in the grand scheme of things. Then his boy Jurgen can hook him up with a club in the 2. Bundesliga.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    They can't forcibly loan him somewhere. Apart from within MLS.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even within MLS

14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Oh dear. That's a pretty stupid commitment.

russ and onefineesq repped this.
  15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  16. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Can't he waive this "no trade" clause?

17. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he already waved it. Right in the front office's face. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

18. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, I'd be pissed if I were him too -- minus the poetry. There's got to be more to this story - he was the only other player on NYCFC other than Pirlo that would switch the field of play. I could be wrong, but I heard he was putting in the work in training too.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only three guys who started the USOC match versus Cosmos who saw any sort of first team time all got r-u-n-n-o-f-t. Namely, Poku, Mullins and Mix.

Stands to reason one or all of these guys felt they should be getting more time, and being sent out to make their respective cases while surrounded by people who hadn't played in ages didn't sit well with them. Rumors were there was a bit of a lockerroom discussion...

an1310 repped this.
  20. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Hence his Whitman-inspired social media musings? The rumor mill down here was more salacious, but it strained credulity as to be dismissed outright.

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He'll be ok, his family is wealthy, he doesn't need to play soccer or do anything, actually.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's the mentality. Live off your parents money and sit around the house playing video games and eating fig newtons. Then in a year he can star in 'the 400 lb ex-soccer player' on TLC.

24. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell? Folks telling us he'll be okay because his family has money? Hell, he just made $1.5 mm to not play soccer. He's got his own damn money.

I don't understand the need to tear people down. We don't know the situation. Mix has always given 100% when on the pitch for club and country.

Twellman wanking himself into the faces of mls fanboy crowd over this. Everyone looking to pile on.

I mean, it's not a great situation for anyone to be stuck between a financial windfall and pursuing what you love. He had to delay the latter to get his rightfully deserved buyout.

Of course he doesn't want to play for Schitt's Creek SC, Taylor. He signed a goddamn contract with NYC. That's why he has a no trade clause. ********ing mls truthers with their implicit little brother syndrome lashing out in advance solely to protect their house. Really sad and makes the league look amateurish.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Trying to blame MLS entirely for this is crazy. Do you think NYCFC was the one demanding the clause? What Twellman says makes perfect sense: the existence of such a clause to begin with means Mix wanted to live in the Big Apple. Were he ready to move, there'd be at least conversations with some other club.

And players who want to play are ready to move to Scheisse Creek FC if needs be.

WrmBrnr and deuteronomy repped this.