Mikkel Diskerud can choose US or Norway NT [R] includes NT results

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Mar 29, 2008.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My God man- what demon drove your web browser to this site so you had to observe this carnage!

Oh u clicked here lol...

This is possibly the most interesting thread on Big Soccer .I imagine management at "big clubs" would much prefer this thread to pub pics or police reports on players.

Hey does Grant still post here? Let's sort it out all friendly like.

Xenimus, Zak1FCK, Testudo and 6 others repped this.
  2. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Mix realizes this poster doesn't represent the majority of us. As you can see, we are still extremely critical in discussion involving him and all players. However, we very much value his continued participation in the thread. Like you said, it's not every day you get to interact with a US player and a professional. So no, kindly show yourself the door. I think I speak for the vast majority of us when we say that we hope Mix continues to engage in this thread with the level of participation he has over the last few years. It truly has been a tweet.

On the Grant Wahl issue...it's not the first time Grant's been more than a little, shall we say off base. I respect him as a journalist, but sometimes he does make ridiculous statements.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Mix's presence here stifles critical and controversial debates. For one thing, there hasn't been a whole lot of controversy occurring in his career. For another, frankly, I'm the one stifling the "debate" this morning, but that's only because the argument in question was off topic. And wrongheaded, for that matter: there are plenty of people on these boards who are both MLS and YA supporters and the urge to treat them as opposing camps is an unfortunate by-product of the artificially heightened antagonism we find on the internet. And I for one would have happily made the 3.5 hour drive to Columbus to see Mix play, just as I've done for several Crew matches in the past.

People are officially welcome to critique Mix here. If his participation in this thread causes the poster making that critique choose to be more polite, then that's all to the good.

4. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, you can see that what he said about Wahl is true, to a point.

Check out the front page of Selter'z website. Noshortcorners. It pretty much corroborates what Mix said.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Wahl is obviously still tired from the World Cup.

6. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    I have no problem believing that Wahl might be wrong, journalists often are. I questioned the player/his lawyer instrumentalising a fan forum in such a way to attack the journalist.

scottinkc repped this.
  7. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many other USMNT players would post on Big Soccer - or anywhere else? Mix just cracked my Top 5 favorite USMNT players. Well said on Ohio. Too many people that live within 50 miles of both coasts look at middle America with disdain. C Bus has been a great place the three times I've been there. Cost of living isn't bad either which makes whatever they offered Mix that much more enticing.

RalleeMonkey, eboe, russ and 2 others repped this.
  8. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't the intention. The intention was to give us clarification because he felt like we deserved to know. I'm sure they didn't intend to start a crusade against Wahl on BS ;). Mix has been a long serving member of the community and probably felt like it would be nice to let us know what was up

9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah all those free games, hotel, food and beautiful weather. Man tough gig

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it will never come out but I would like to know what happened last minute that changed things. All signals where the deal was done.

Do appreciate the clarification.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

12. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Well, when the two Norwegian guys posted some critical things about how Diskerud is perceived by some fans in Norway, it was shot down very, very quickly. I do think that is this effect of that "he is one of us" which he has cultivated on here, which means that there is not the distance that fans have to other players.

I do think there is a marked difference in tone between this thread and the threads of other players on Yanks Abroad. I am also not sure whether it is a good thing for fans to be more polite on fan forums. After all, that is why they are outside of the official clubs, leagues, so you don't need to be more polite and censor yourself (not sure if I'm getting across what I mean :/). Of course that does not mean abusing a player, I hasten to add.

Scotty, Tom Collingsworth, 7211 and 3 others repped this.
  13. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    If I read Seltzer correctly, there weren't that close. http://www.noshortcorners.com/2014/08/all-mix-ed-up.html

Xenimus and Testudo repped this.
  14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Mix, thanks for communicating bro. Your assist against Mexico will live forever and ever. There are lots of quality taco bells and beautiful young Midwestern women in Columbus. It's a massive club.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what makes it interesting, that it's a very different dynamic than what usually exists with players. However, people are responsible for deciding what to believe; if they choose to be swayed by what Mix says on this thread because he's "one of us," that's up to them. It's similar to when a journalist is very closely connected to a player and ends up serving as their mouthpiece. It's up to the reader to take that into account.

16. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    In the history of Big Soccer - and if you'll notice I'm basically a "day one" guy - this may be the single most amazingly stupid post ever on this forum board.

No, we all prefer to work in rumor, innuendo and vagaries.
    Actually hearing from the actual person is much worse...
    :ROFLMAO:

(apologies for butting into a Crew thread, but I just couldn't help myself)

17. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think it was shot down because of this "one of us" mentality. It was shot down because Inge Andre Olsen, the SPORTING DIRECTOR AT STABÆK posted in this thread that the perception of Mix by these supporters of his former club were unfounded.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see your point, but I would echo bungadiri's point about his career being pretty noncontroversial for a few reasons. For most of us, seeing his league's games on TV is nigh on impossible, so direct critique of his play is limited. Our only real chance to critique his game is on the NT threads, in which Mix doesn't post.

I would be interested to see what would happen if Mix got into a very visible league like Altidore's and was seen by huge numbers of YA posters week in and out in terms of the tone of posters when confronted by the knowledge that Mix reads this thread. I do think it might be a bit muted, but to @bungadiri 's point, that might not be a bad thing. Sprinkling a bit of humanism into criticism is not wrong.

icebreaker repped this.
  19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks a bit humid i would say...

BostonRed repped this.
  20. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for The Diskerud Experiment by Grant Wahl.

chad repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Mix's comment in this thread appears to be all over soccer media right now. Could get noisy in here soon.

Surprised some of the media weren't aware he comments here.

22. bumbletucky

bumbletucky Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Anyone have any good kickstarters that need visibility?

Since everyone's eyes are here anyway...

mike4066, Winoman and usry723 repped this.
  23. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah....BS is going to get a lot of hits today.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  24. mogollon

mogollon Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Couple things:
    Why are people acting like Columbus is a dump? Columbus (and Ohio in general) is as nice as anywhere. It's not glamorous, but not everyone wants bright lights, big city.

Second, if the Columbus salary reports are true and Mix turned it down, wouldn't that indicate there are more/as lucrative offers elsewhere?

StuTheriot repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Precourt can use the Zenger defense,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenger,_Trial_of_John_Peter
    then he has every right to communicate with his fans. Mix is a pro and an adult, and if what Precourt says is true, then it's fair game for him to let the fans know he was willing to spend the money and give Mix a big raise but that the agent/father messed up the deal at the last minute.

However, if Precourt is lying....