Mike Petke: stay or go?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Aug 1, 2019.

?

Do you believe that Mike Petke should CONTINUE as head coach of Real Salt Lake?

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. NO

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. IT'S COMPLICATED

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Like every other Real Salt Lake fan you have probably thought a little bit about whether or not RSL should or should not keep Mike Petke as their head coach.

I'm a bit conflicted because I was on the it's time for RSL to make a coaching change bandwagon before the obscene treatment of the game officials after the Tigres game so I kinda fell like I might be piling on a bit in believing it's time for a change.

After reading the statement from the club I am very surprised that they didn't or haven't cut ties with Mike and more than likely he's on the shortest leash ever.

I haven't seen a statement or requested apology from Mike yet, which I find a little curious. Perhaps he is not in agreement with the punishment that has been passed down or just incredibly embarrassed by his behavior and waiting for the best time in his mind to address his misdeeds.

Let me know what you think.

2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this vote asking if we think he should stay or go right now?

4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Continue right now.

I haven't seen anything that tells me RSL is trending in any direction other than down with Mike at the helm.

This is a lost season and as we have seen in other off seasons RSL and the FO have no idea how to use the off season either. Cut the loses now and get started on a new direction for the club.

Find an actual soccer coach with actual coaching experience beyond MLS.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 15 to 32, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    I want someone familiar with the league, at least in some fashion, and preferably experience. Tata was an outlier in his ability to step into the league as a new coach and find a way to have success. I don't think we have the ability to attract that level of coaching talent, but maybe I'm off.

Robin Fraser is one that always comes to mind for me. I often wonder where the club would have gone had he been coach instead of Cassar. What other names do people have as potential options? With Waibel picking the coach I'm... less than optimistic.

Ante Razov (LAFC assistant)?
    Jill Ellis?
    Maybe one of these guys?

Lizzie Bee and El-ahrairah repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So far RSL is 1 for 3 when hiring former MLS players turned coaches.

There has to be candidates better than Cassar and Petke out there to bring in to coach RSL.

Are there American's coaching in other leagues as assistant coaches out there that would be interested in returning to the US? I have no idea. Probably a small pool at best.

I would just suggest casting a wide net and maybe at the end a guy like Robin Fraser really is the best guy to look at as the next head coach.

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*** Yeah! Jill Ellis! Smash that Patriarchy!!

And why not Jill Ellis? If men can coach women's soccer, why can't women coach men's soccer? It seems to me that women coachs focus more on the basics of the game and at times, I thought that RSL needed to go back to basics instead of chasing the latest MLS craze. I don't know if she would want to coach men's soccer or even come to RSL to coach, but I don't see why not.

I like Robin Fraser's name for next RSL coach. I think he got the short end of the stick at Chivas and I think he would be a good coach.

Freddy Juarez always comes to mind as a replacement.

How 'bout Olave? He's been an interim coach twice. Would he be better than Freddy Juarez? I dunno.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  8. ravi

ravi Member

Jun 20, 2012
    park city
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I think Petke needs to go if not now, by end of season
    2) I feel that D Hansen needs to be very clear with what RSL's goals are.
    Mid table break even team,
    hobby team where he is willing to commit monies greater than receipts to climb the rankings or
    Shoot for the moon budget and intentions.
    Once the goal is clear he can then find a technical director, head coach and GM combination. Obviously the goals dictate the budget but I feel like after lucking into Kreis, Manning, and Lagerway we keep trying to repeat the combination without putting effort into it.

Allez RSL repped this.
  9. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    I'm done with Petke.

Allez RSL, jessyca and goobx1 repped this.
  10. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been ready for Petke to get sacked for quite a while now. This latest incident is just the cherry on a shit sundae, as far as I'm concerned.

goobx1 repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me it’s obvious that his goal for the senior team is to contend for the playoffs (not sure exactly how to define that) at the least possible expenditure. I admit that I could very well be wrong, but I haven’t seen or heard anything from him to indicate otherwise. Last season when things weren’t looking good for Weibel I predicted that he would be retained for this season if RSL made the playoffs. That’s what happened, which only served to cement my viewpoint that making the playoffs is DLH’s goal.

12. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've been done with Petke since last season but his recent outburst seals it for me. If I went off at someone in my work place and called them a homophobic slur, then followed them down a hallway with a poster with the same slur on it, I'd be sent packing. It's one thing to argue with referees, it's another to be a vile ass. At this point either he goes or I go.

RSL has made some good moves in recent years in terms of development academy, the Royals and Monarchs and even some better marketing and online content. Keeping Petke shows me that the organization doesn't care about being classy in the slightest and that they're not committed to winning on the field.

RSL has a rare opportunity here to clean house. I'd love to see Petke out and the club bring in a fairly well-known coach from Liga MX along with a well-known Liga MX player like Pizarro or someone like that. I'm sure they'll do no such thing, though.

Allez RSL, goobx1 and jessyca repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So about those apologies . . .

JasonMa, rslfanboy, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not have confidence in Petke or Weibel and I am on the change train. Early on I liked both, but as time has gone on what they have done wrong has burden the team more than what they have done right.

During Petke first season, taking over from Cassar, our 2nd half of the season RSL was 2nd best in points per game. We were right behind record setting Toronto. I acknowledge our 2nd half was a little easier, but we kept pace with Toronto at nearly 2 points per game. We were a team no one wanted to face in the playoffs.

With clearly an incomplete team, lack of center forward, I thought Petke was our coach of the future. I just dont understand how he could go from that good to what we have now.

This team has shown some success. The win against the Union was dominating. I believe with a better coach we would have more of a winning consistency.

Ismitje and goobx1 repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I can't agree more.

I was pretty damn stoked after the end of the 2017 season watching RSL play and thinking that with a full off season for Petke 2018 was going to be exciting.

If anything an off season with Mike made the team worse at the start of 2018 and he did everything he could to make the team less exciting which has carried through 2019.

Time to reboot.

16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I could see a turnaround here like there has been at Colorado and New England. I think New England is the better example. Our players are good, but they are oddly paired and compensated. Get someone in here with a damn plan, a blueprint for success, and follow it. Both Waibel and Petke are problematic, but one of the two just recently really stepped in it. You'd think Poolboy would have been Waibel's exit ticket as well.

goobx1 repped this.
  17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Pool boy and Yura but Yura was probably on Dear Leader.

18. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 RoyalNonesuch, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Leaders need fire, Leaders have to manage fire and Leaders have to be accountable for and more circumspect about what they both say and do. I blame the team performance more on ownership and GM than coach right now.

For me the fact that Petke completely lost his shit is more concerning than his choice of words.

I mean, jeebus, we go to games right? We play pick-up games right? And if you're in the same universe I'm in then you hear these same words ALL THE TIME. P*** is ********ing colloquial and for worse is part of Central American futbol.

Frankly don't see his use of it as a discriminatory thing undermining the Civil and Sexual rights of others, I see it as an ironic and probably angry/racist/outraged use of the term against Latin officiating, and that's a big red flag because it makes him look (maybe this is my lens) like a kind of white nationalist bully...Devils' advocate - I'd also like to know why he was so livid. We all know Beckerman calls people ********ing cunts all the time. We accept that, yeah "that's Captain Kyle". Where's the moral outrage?

I applaud MLS for drawing its own line and holding leaders accountable to that, and for defending referees from outrageous aggressive behavior - but I don't think it's as simple as just doing that, and I don't think doing that will change futbol culture, with all it's slanderous terms, corruption, and match fixy bullshit in the CONCACAF region. The outrage is strange. Coaches can't say these words, but fans can chant it and players can say whatever. It's a strange moral maginot line that's routinely avoided...

Leaders need fight. For better or for worse, this is the shadow of printer guy. I'm in the stay camp - for now...but I'd see how the players felt. They're the ones he influences, their opinion matters more than ours.

Lizzie Bee, 15 to 32, stucknutah and 5 others repped this.
  19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! The bad-word algorithm sure missed that one. But, hey. Thanks for pointing out a swear word that I can use without being obscured by ********.

20. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just lucky I guess?

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with some of this and disagree with some too.
    Agree: the outrage toward Petke without similar outrage toward Beckerman is not reconcilable.
    Disagree: What Petke said is absolutely unacceptable. He coaches for an American team. In this culture he crossed the line. Central American futbol culture in this incident is irrelevant.

BalanceUT and goobx1 repped this.
  22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    @sitruc

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What the fuck am I being summoned for?
    1. To explain how code can be used to defeat the filter,
    2. ponder why Chad Ashton still has a job,
    3. recommend hiring Ben Olsen, or
    4. express general condemnation for Petke.
    //The default color is a dark grey. In the past, I would occasionally make a single letter black to get around the filter, but a Canadian complained.

Allez RSL and BalanceUT repped this.
  24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Summoned because they missed a word. c*** apparently is good to go. No funky code tricks.

25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, summoned like some evil spirit? And your filter slipped up again.