Miguel Borja - news and comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Doogs, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i do see a potential scenario where Muriel doesn't go. Muriel has yet to play a full 90 - always been a concern of mine and there were a couple of late WCQ games where Pekerman went with Teo as a sub in a role where I think Muriel would have been a better option - Brazil (9/17) and Paraguay (10/17). so there is something odd there.

personally i rate Muriel higher than you do, but we have gone in circles about him so i am not going down that road ;)

crzdcolombian repped this.
  2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Look I only rate Borja and Falcao highly.

No one else really. Zapata is big and strong and seems to offer what we all expected of Jackson 4 years ago

Muriel I am just tired of waiting for him to have that breakout year. He like 27 at this point. Has a decent career so far but he seemed like he would have been WOrld class by now

pepinointer and Furnaccio repped this.
  3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    The majority of Colombia's players are not world class. The majority of players on most NTs are not world class.

What makes Borja so much better? He's only 2 years younger than Muriel and he's really only had that one great year in 2016. He's been a disappointment since moving to Palmeiras, and has only played a couple decent matches--no goals--for Colombia.

I'm not trying to hate on Borja--I like the kid a lot...But what the heck is your criteria for all these weird rankings you make of our players? I see none and what empirical data we do have doesn't support your claims. Give it a couple years and you'll be saying about Borja what you're saying about Muriel. I'll guarantee you that former will never come close to having the club career Muriel has had.

4. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I rate Borja higher than Muriel, he has better finishing than Muriel and has more power to his game.

But then again I am bias towards Borja as he is from my mom's home state and I took a picture with him at the airport.:D

Furnaccio and crzdcolombian repped this.
  5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Fair point about Muriel. He’s had a good career to date with flashes of brilliance but he hasn’t been that 20 goal a season guy that he is capable of.

Not sure how Borja gets a “high rating” from you outside of his 2016 year. I like Borja a lot but he hasn’t guaranteed himself a place on the NT.

6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Muriel had more promise at a young age then Duvan or Borja that is the major difference imo, expectations. Duvan imo has had a very good season and plays an important role, Muriel was playing very well and doing a lot of work for Sevilla when they were doing really well in some big games, but his unpolished finishing and decision making in the final third is an issue. Borja either isn't exactly finishing as consistently as he should, all 3 do a lot outside of just goals, if they could polish their finishing they'd be easily solidified for us, just like if Bacca could offer more then just goals he would to. Cucho is the biggest hope, and for one or two of these 3 to really put it all together for the next cycle we'll be good, this World Cup its Falcao and hope one of these guys catches fire, imo we need one of them to start if we play with 2 forwards.

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel is like Fredy Montero hot streaks then MiA

Maybe it’s the Italian media calling him the Colombian Fat Ronaldo

I just expected him to be better then Falcao

8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel is not 9.....you have to understand that........You are like montella

9. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He seems to play with a lot of energy and emotion and when he gets into the final third he rushes. There's still hope he can get more decisive passing and finishing in the final third but being in about of the Sevilla this team didn't help, last season when he was healthy he was great for Sampdoria. I still think he's got a place to play as a wide attacker for us, but he's not solidified by any means he does a lot more off the ball and is a better dribbler then Izqi but if he's not going to finish and play wide then he needs to be putting his head up and finding Falcao and James and create better.

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #135 pepinointer, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Zapata is 27 too.............and ihave heard from folks.....he in the future will be as falcao.........

Zapata and Muriel are good.....but their careers are mediocres..........they are middle team players.....with median expectations

dirtysanchez repped this.
  11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I like how all the fringe guys are heating up now that talk of the final 23 for the WC is in full swing. Can't find a greater source of motivation.

He's goleador of the tournament now, I think.

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he is indeed.

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2 striker for me!!!!!

Like I said if we get him to be at the start of a hot streak :) WC champs!!!!!

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In conmebol, morelo is ranked as first with 8, borja in second with 6.

HomietheClown repped this.
  18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    If he can get hot scoring goals he'd be a huge help in Russia.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Poor morelo that played in this decade and no in the decade of 2000....

sidspaceman repped this.
  20. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Teos goal looked offside and Omg Viera sucks I know I’ve been hating on him forever but all 3 of those goals my grandma could have scored. Also Juniors defense ........ man that is Sunday league at best

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    996958101193535488 is not a valid tweet id

HomietheClown and Froboy69 repped this.
  23. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why are we impressed? It was against Atlético Junior so of course he scored a hattrick. :whistling::whistling::whistling: :sneaky: ;)

24. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So it's nice to see him keeping up in form if he's as promising as we need him to be. I wonder how solid his chances are for the actual squad itself but if he keeps this up, he should be good.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Teo is never offsides. When Teo has the ball, the opposing defender is off side ;)