Midseason Reset 2017: You Be the GM (and the coach)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jun 4, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This
    Dom plays ugly ass soccer that used to work. His time ran up at Houston. How he swung the SJ job is still beyond me

2. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I remember when Houston opened their new stadium there was an article about how the team was excited about the home field advantage of what they were calling 'The Pit'. With the heat and humidity and stadium design, no wind could blow into the stadium and would become repressive to visiting teams. Kinnear was getting excited about 'grinding down skilled and fast teams with the advantage'.

Yeah, that's exactly what our skinny roster, salary capped league needs, slower and more boring football. The old school American coaches are absolute clowns.

3. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    This is a pretty prevalent style of play among more than just "old school American coaches."

Heck, Greece won a Euro Cup with this style not all that long ago.

But agreed, it's not a style that's appealing or helps MLS grow.

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's a style that wins games. I only wish RSL felt the sane about the advantages of playing at altitude. Being able to run your opponents into the dirt for 90 minutes because your team emphasises running, running, running is always a good way to score late-game goals.

RSLer, BalanceUT and The Franchise repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah man, we'd rather be in worse shape than the other team. It's a brilliant trick!

6. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me psychic, but I'm getting the feeling you guys aren't entirely behind my brilliant idea. :confused:

RSLer and BalanceUT repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he'd be better than Tyrone Marshall

rslfanboy and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  8. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that it is just the opposite with this team. Has been for several seasons. Seems like RSL runs out of gas before the visiting team does constantly. If it wasn't for that bad weather in the preseason I am sure RSL would be in better shape.

stucknutah, RSLer, pcny and 4 others repped this.
  9. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's a business, fans in seats is the metric, I seriously would rather lose than play the Greece style of play.

I know, I know, you can't always play open freewheeling football if you don't have the right talent. But aspirationally, no one should be talking about how they're going to gum the game up and bore the fans to death with their play.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially with a young lineup. There was a big difference for me between 22 to 36.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Ted Eck.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the long run, nobody cares how you won a trophy, they'll just remember that you won it.

It also seems like teams with solid defenses tend to do better in knockout tournaments, since there's more at stake. Teams don't want to give up easy goals by going full offense and hoping to outscore the other team.

RSLer repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would anyone have stopped with Silva?

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are referring to roster movements...NO. But at the same time, we don't have other teams waiting in line outside our door to grab the guys we need to get rid of. While I'm not a Waibel fan, I will suggest that his hands might have been tied.

Todorojo and rslfanboy repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think that's why they were shopping Yura pretty hard.

That and we have quite a few salary renegotiations (esp. Beckerman, Rimando, Yura) at the end of the season. We are already out of the playoffs and Open Cup and CCL this year. Nothing left to play for other than to tune up for next year. Granted, most international players are available right now and not in January, but we may have to wait until summer of 2018 for a bigger splash.

We did get Rusnak in the winter.

16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this rate Waibel may trade Yura to Arby's for a mess of curly fries.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those hands were tied by himself, mind you
    But yeah, this isn't an easy proposition. He has to figure out how to unload a salary or two in order to make room. Every GM in the league knows this, and will negotiate with it.

RSLer repped this.
  18. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Perhaps a time to revisit this?
    Assuming that RSL is able to keep Lennon, IMHO this teams still needs:
    1) a replacement for Becks (Sunny is ok as your 2nd best D-mid and Luke as your break in case of offensive emergency center mid)
    2) a first string center forward who can actually play as a target if needed (Silva and Barrett are perfectly good back ups)
    3) 2 2-way outside backs. Beltran can defend, Acosta can attack, and Wingert can stand in the right spots defensively, but none of them give Petke what he needs. It's been so long since we've seen Phillips, it's hard to know if he can fill the role or not.

In other threads I've heard it suggested that RSL is only a few tweaks away from being VERY good. Well, 4 positions needing starter quality is not only a few tweaks away.

To Waibel's credit, in the last year he has brought in 3 starter level players, which, as he will be the first one to tell you, is difficult. If he can plug 2 of the gaps next year and not lose anyone, RSL should be a playoff team easily. If he gets all 4 plugged in 2 years, with players who fit Petke's system, RSL could be very good.

Congrats Waibel, I now have you up to a solid C (hanging the Yura-millstone around your neck and taking WAAAAAAY to long to fix the center D both hurt your grade.)

Allez RSL and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of now, this is how I'd prioritize:
    1. Savarino permanent
    2. Box to box midfielder in DP/TAM range of money
    3. Outside back in TAM range money - TRADE TONY BELTRAN FOR CASH
    4. Target FW
    5. Lennon permanent (if the price is right. if not, wait until summer)
    6. Another CB (mostly because it apparently takes years to do this, so might as well start now...)

rslfanboy, UPinSLC, TheBiff and 2 others repped this.
  20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's about where I stand. I think Acosta is fine defensively, and offers more in the attack than any other outside back on the team. Agree with getting rid of Beltran to make way for a more offensive RB. We need to ditch Wingert as well, and use those funds for a backup outside back. I don't think we're that far off from being a good team. We're already seeing what this team can do during the second half of the season. Could you imagine if we had a forward that scored at Sabo's rate again? Add in a new Russel type outside back, and we'd already look a lot better. Add in a CDM starter or a top CM and use Sunny as the CDM, and we'd be in a really good spot.

21. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also keep investing in Acosta. Super young, quite athletic. It'll work given coaching and playing time. But I love the idea of locking down Jefferson and some of the others while buttressing the D. Good brainstorming.

Todorojo repped this.
  22. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I honestly don't think it is realistic to expect a replacement for Beltran. The guy is a veteran team leader who although he has some offensive short comings, he is very much an MLS quality RB and has been an RSL stalwart for a long while. If we are losing Wingert, Petke will still want some veteran guys on the field. Could we do better? Yea, probably, but would the cost it would take to do it be worth it? Debatable if it means less resources for other positions of need. We would likely end up with a Philips type guy in the end if we are trying to improve other positions.

We do need the midfield to be looked at. Sunny is too inconsistent, though talented. We need at least 1 maybe 2 really good starting midfielders, depending on the direction we go with Beckerman.

I agree with 15 on the order of priorities. I just don't see the team addressing #3 and I am not as concerned with #4 now so long as we bring in a guy who can play forward either a starter or a backup to Silva.

Ismitje repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should clarify: Trading Beltran isn't for another player in return. There aren't all that many outside backs in this league that offer a lot offensively. Moving Tony to free up the cap space AND get some extra cash in the process (like 150K ish) suddenly means you have room for a 400K type guy. We can find ourselves a quality wingback with that kind of money.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand why the FO won't want to get rid of Beltran, but I think if we want to move forward as a team, we need to. The game has changed, and outside backs are more important to your offense than they used to be. Acosta looks good in general, but is still developing. It would be nice to have someone entering their prime that could play on the right.

25. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I completely agree. The other fact that is important is how a larger % of our attacks develop or swing over to the right side of the field currently. Beltran had a lot more of the play in the final 3rd than Acosta did. So it is important to find someone who is better equiped to it.

I will say this for Beltran though. He has stopped just pushing crosses into the box and is instead playing a short passing game with the wingers and midfielders over there better. He also has the speed and stamina to make it up into the box and retreat back on defense which he has done a few times.

RoyalNonesuch and Allez RSL repped this.