MiddleSeason: The Freddy Adu Thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dark knight, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    My suggestion for new thread title.

Freddy Adu at Aris: 1000 posts in 3 weeks.

2. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    If you don't think that was an impressive play I don't know what impresses you. Was it the most magical play ever? No, but it was pretty damn sweet.

3. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Arased?

4. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ADUby dooby doo, Where are you?

1 person likes this.
  5. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have kids right? :)

Ok back to sleep!

6. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    According to this source (newspaper that supports ARIS):

http://athlitikanea.gr/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=512:στάση-αναμονής&Itemid=113

ARIS is negotiating with Adu to break his contract. If ARIS fails to do so, it will be harder for the team to be able to buy a left midfielder.

Some people here were saying that Benfica mistreats Adu!! If this is the case, why doesn't he put an end to his contract and go work his way somewhere that they'll treat him better? Instead, he prefers to sit on his contract and get paid by clubs that want to get rid of him. This means that he should be very greatful to mainly Benfica and ARIS to some extent for overpaying him.Thus, it is very ironic to say that Benfica mistreats him!

1 person likes this.
  7. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    if Adu would break his contract with Benfica, why shouldn't shop himself around (vs. promising himself to Aris). No offense, but there is likely a better salary + playing + quality of competition opportunity for ADU than Aris IF Adu is willing to accept a low wage.

8. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Who asked him to promise himself to ARIS? Both ARIS and Benfica want to get rid of him. He does not agree to go though, obviously, because he has nowhere better to go...

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    "Nowhere better to go"

Dude, he earns $1m+ a year. That is the big factor here. He has plenty of opportunities in a lot of countries if he is willing to work for $250,000-$300,000 that Aris want to pay him. But Adu doesn't want to give up $1.5m (his wage difference over 2 years). Would you?

Why are Adu threads always so bi-polar? He's great, he's awful...the truth is in the middle and few seem to realize it publicly. He is only 20. For that reason, he has many options if he reduces his wage substantially. At $1m+ a year, yeah- its a screwed up situation between these 2 clubs. But you seem to be confusing the issue entirely, thinking a hard negotiation between 3 parties translates into no interest in Adu.

10. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nostalgos repped for actual news.

11. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    ARIS does not want to pay him anything. They just want to get rid of him. The problem is that no other team is willing to pay the 200-300k that ARIS is contracted to pay...If there was such a team, Adu would be training with them now (still on loan from Benfica).

12. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    what you saying is BS. This is way more complicated than this. Adu can't move to another club without Benfica's permission. For all we know, there are negotiations going on with other clubs. Benfica may even be raising their price for all we know (wanting these new clubs to play $500k or $600k etc of Adu's salary this year). You really have no idea of all the behind the scenes goings on.

13. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    As our Portugese friend said before, Benfica knows that a new loan will bring them even less money. You can hypothesize whatever you want, but the truth is that if there were teams offering to pay what ARIS does, Adu would like to go there because in ARIS he knows he won't play, ARIS would be very happy to get rid of him and Benfica would be indifferent who they get the money from...Now if you think that Benfica people know nothing about market values in football and shop the market to loan a player who failed in Belenenses and ARIS for 500-600k, what can I say...

What I heard on the radio (again athlitika-nea) is that ARIS is negotiating the compensation they will have to pay, in order to free themselves from the loan contract.
    I would guess that Benfica would like this amount to equal the difference between what ARIS curretly pays and what the next team will pay for Adu. If there was a team to pay sth close to the 200-300k he is probably getting from ARIS, there would be no issue right now. ARIS would pay the difference and get away with a small loss, Benfica will continue losing as much as they were before and Adu would try his luck in a new team, earning the same amount overall...Thus, it is clear from the facts that there is no team interested in him, at least at this level of money.

1 person likes this.
  14. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    This stuff is at once complicated, infuriating, and boring.

It's been a looong time since it's been about the soccer with young Freddy. This loan and wage crap annoys me to no end.

15. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    You must understand, these rumors are all very exciting for Nostalgos. During last season he had to suffer while Adu was starting playoff game after playoff game, and winning praise left and right on here. Nostalgos would pop in here and there, make a negative post, and be shooed away.

Now with this current contractual situation, and the lack of clarity as to what's going on, he can bask in the negativity, with long and frequent posts.

16. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    You identified another member of the anti-Adu conspiracy network, well done! It's actually me that holds Freddy back...

17. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Tell us more about how he started 4 games last season.

I thought Aris was "helping out" Benfica?

There are only two things that are certain.

A. That Aris are trying to get rid of or pressure Adu, as they've removed his picture and number from their website (he's still there but with no number or photo.)

B. That when push came to shove last season, they used Adu in their most important situations.

How we got to B from A is what is unclear.

18. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I never said that ARIS is helping Benfica, someone else did. This would still be no conspiracy though, it's business. As for the 4 games:

http://galanissportsdata.com/football/national/Season2009_10/aeteam.asp?t=06

That's what the official Greek-stats provider states. It refers to the main season though. Anyway, I'm tired of arguing with people who cannot see an elephant one meter away. I transfer some news here for the people who are interested to know what the case is and not what they would like it to be. You can keep on believing that Adu was great, but ARIS for some unkonwn reason does not want him, as well as Belenenses, Monacco and Benfica did, where I guess Adu was great too.

19. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Why will it be harder for Aris to buy a left MF? If it's not the money they're paying, and it's not the non-EU player slot, what's the problem?

grateful not greatful

20. nostalgos

nostalgos New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Thanks for correcting my English.

Obviously, because of the money. If they have to pay 200-300k to Adu, they may not have enough to buy someone else. If they save whatever they pay for Adu (and another three (cheaper) players they are trying to get rid of), they will have more to spend to get someone, who may have some value. Isn't is clear?

21. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    I think you may be overestimating the extent to which any of us actually care that Freddy's contract might be hampering Aris (not all caps, apparently) in any monetary fashion.

22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC