Microsoft Security Essentials - How Good is the Latest Version?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Suyuntuy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Latest version is 4.1.

Anyone using it? I use Avast! and AVG, but they can slow down some programs on startup.

Also, I need e-mail protection.

Anyone out there who tried MSE can tell me if it's reliable?

2. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been using it personally for about a year and also installed it on the computers at the two places I volunteer at. Haven't had any virus or malware attacks in all that time and I have found it to be less resource intensive than AVG & Avira which I've previously used. In the comparisons of free anti-virus programs that I reviewed back when I first installed it, MSE seemed to hold its own, although it wasn't at the top of the list.

As far as email protection, it's never been a concern for me -- but I just found this information...

"There's no need to scan email, only attachments and that is done by all modern antimalware programs as the files are written to the PC file system.

All of the major AV vendors have been telling their customers for several years now that 'email scanning' is no longer necessary, it's a holdover from the early days of AV programs when Microsoft hadn't yet created the API (Application Programming Interface) sets that allow the AV programs to scan a file before any user access (including email programs) is allowed."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-e-mail/2b9dd412-1116-4d28-84bb-ebeab5d28ced

3. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Switched from Avast to MSE about 6 months ago on my laptop. No problems with it.

4. beckham22

beckham22 New Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    try also Panda Internet Suite ..works great for me

5. Surabhi

Surabhi New Member

May 8, 2013
    Microsoft Security Essentials is a good antivirus and I always use this anti virus in my computer for protection. Works really great for me.

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been using MSE for years now, but any time I browse "higher risk" areas of the Internet or try new software I usually do it in a VirtualBox virtual machine so threats are decreased and if something blows up I revert to a snapshot and I'm back to normal quickly.

7. solus

solus Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Southern France
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Got AVG on mine and MSE on my wife and I think I will switch to MSE too, less ressources