Michael Sullivan in Spain Segunda B division

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by ttrevett, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to Christopher Sullivan on Sirius/XM, frequently he speaks about his son Michael ('95), who is now with a 3rd division Spanish side (which I can only assume is Segunda B). I don't speak Spanish, so navigating the search for which team he plays for in the Segunda Division B is difficult. I know he was called in at one point to the BNT U-15 in 2010 with the likes of Zach Steffen, Lynden Gooch and Emerson Hyndmann, and was also signed by Cal Poly in 2013.

Christopher mentioned he scored the winning goal for his side this past weekend (Jan 16 or 17). He supposedly plays midfield. I have no other info but it would be nice if one of you Spanglophiles can dig up more info on this one.

If he has the same soul for the game as his father, he may turn out to be a good 'un.

He is certainly starting out near the bottom and trying to work his way up the system. Might be interesting to see where this goes!

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Interesting, thanks. Don't know of a good database site for Spain offhand but I do love a challenge.

Doesn't looks like Sullivan ever made it to Poly (or, at least, ever played there) though he did have a recruiting announcement:

A two-year letterwinner at Palo Alto HS, Sullivan has competed at the club level with De Anza Force of the U.S. Development Academy program and Juventus 94 Premier SC. Selected for a U.S. National Team U-15 training camp, Sullivan has spent previous summers training with Hungarian top-flight club GyŒri ETO FC. Michael is the son of former United States Men's National Team player Christopher Sullivan (1987-92), who appeared at the 1990 World Cup and currently serves as a television commentator for Fox Soccer Channel.

"Michael is a creative and attacking midfielder. I believe he'll thrive in our system and with our style of play as he has exquisite handling speed and insight," Holocher said. "As he grows into the physical side of his game, he'll be a player that can be in the driver's seat on the field. His thoughts are keen and his skills are born from many hours on the ball. One thing that we really enjoy about his game is his vision and ability to change the tempo of a match. He can play in tight spaces with quick combinations and he has a very good feel for the game."
    http://gopoly.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/20130206h90o8v

Coach Holocher was recently named to the staff at the Quakes academy, by the way, and is a former YA himself.

3. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lapreferente.com is fairly complete for lower division (even does youth players) but isn't the most user friendly. It doesn't seem to have a "Sullivan" anywhere in the database.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    LinkedIn has a profile for a player who seems like it could be this guy, but with a lower-division Hungarian club. That leads to some reports suggesting that he was with the club, Gyirmot, at least as recently as the 16/17 season.