Rumor: Michael O'Neill

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by manfromgallifrey91, Nov 14, 2017.

1. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This World Cup cycle seems to have several managers that have shown to do more with less. NI’s O’Neill, Coleman of Wales, the coach of Iceland. I may have missed more. Of these, O’Neill is the one I consistently hear as the one whose skill set may transition other situations whether it be other national setups or club teams. Because of that, I believe his shop window time will be brief and may force US’s hand one way or other.

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  3. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with whoever as long as they get picked by the new President and board.

manfromgallifrey91 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I only have experience watching N. Ireland in the recent WC playoffs, but they seemed pretty much to play in the old school British style--stay compact defensively, get stuck in on challenges, and pump hopeful balls into the penalty area for offense. Maybe O'Neill has more to his game than that, but based on what I saw, I'd be pretty opposed to him.

He seems more suited to a team fighting relegation in the EPL than a mediocre national team with aspirations of being more than that.

5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If we want someone who's going to play 2 banks of 4 and play hoofball and park the bus against anyone who might be better than us, then why not save the money and hire Dominic Kinnear.

We can do better.

Borrachin, Tejas, Ghost and 2 others repped this.
  6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Shouldn't we bring in a new technical director before we hire a coach anyway?

Borrachin repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next coach is the most important in our program's history. Choose poorly, we miss consecutive WC's. Also of note, the 4th place playoff will be vs CONMEBOL next cycle so we better finish top 3. And most teams will not look at us as a CONCACAF giant. No, they'll hack the shit out of Pulisic and think they can get 1-3 points off us.

And where are these leaks coming from? Sunil has zero business considering who our next coach is.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    We are going to go from talent-poor to talent-rich pretty quickly, at least in some areas. So I wouldn't understand this hire at all. And MLS would despise this, as this guy has no club experience outside of Ireland.

9. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this may be more of a
    I'm on the fence on this. I can see positives and negatives. I think you have to sit down, know where you want to go and find someone to lead the team first. The technical director has more on his/her plate and would be okay if they come after the coach. But the vision has to be the same.

So I think you can do either.

10. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that usually determined by a draw later on?

11. JackBlack21

JackBlack21 Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nope. If I want a dinosaur, I’ll go to the museum.

eric_appleby repped this.
  12. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is just amazing how we all here have common sense solutions, but our Federation doesn't. I'm even more amazed that Sunil was not forced to resign. It should have happened same day or next day. Then FOX Sports hires Bruce to analyze game, are you f*cking serious. Then Lalas and Co. take it easy on him. He says that no players are being left behind, seriously, Panchito next door is better than most current players, how come he is not in the youth national team setup.