Michael Hoyos at LDU Quito (Ecuador)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by keller4president, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's why I said it was good, not great.

2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Greek is no where near as good as the argentine league. There are some players in that league who never cut it in Argentina and are stars over there. In Argentina the best players in the world always develop here... Just look at this transfer window... Falcao, Higuain, and now Erik Lamela going to spurs, I could go on and on

Hell even just a few days ago Estudiantes sold the Colombian forward Duvan Zapata to Napoli for 10 million euros....

I don't think it's a good thing he left estudiantes, even if it just a loan. His coach Pellegrino uses to be the coach at Valencia and of course you have Veron there who is a good judge of talent... These guys wouldn't have let him go if they saw him as someone who could really contribute to the club or be sold to a serious league in Europe

I wish the kid all the best I really hope he can find his footing somewhere and establish himself in a first team

3. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    No one said Greek league is better than Argentine. And yes, the fact that Estudiantes loaned him to a no-name team in Greece probably means they don't see him as a long-term investment. But that doesn't mean he can't have a good career somewhere.

Zak1FCK, Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denmark is a better league overall, imo

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Pl@ymaker and Testudo repped this.
  6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo repped this.
  8. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going by my own two eyes, not "UEFA coefficients"... UEFA coefficients don't factor in things like league depth. Cyprus is top heavy, Denmark is deeper.

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Crete plays in the Greek league - not the Cypriot one. I haven't seen much of either, but I would still believe Greek league is more competitive than Danish one. Also, the top Greek teams are probably better than the top Danish teams.

10. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah I see, my bad. I was under the impression they were a part of the Cypriot league like APOEL and Omonia for some reason (probably got my threads mixed up with the Tony Taylor one). The Greek league is indeed better overall than the Danish Superliga.

11. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Testudo repped this.
  12. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google translate:

"36 Goals for OFI! Ogios The empty goal to make it 5-0
    65 Goals for OFI! The Ogios stole the ball and make the score 9-0 to OFI"

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Hoyos has not seen the field for Crete their last 5 matches...something is not going right.

14. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Former Portuguese national player "Sa Pinto" has taken over managerial duties for Crete. He has left Hoyos out of the 18 for today's match.

16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  17. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    The next FIFA friendly date is March 5. Crete has 14 matches between now and then. If Hoyos can start the majority of those matches, and show well, I think he has a shot to make the friendly roster. Would be interesting to see how he compares to a Mix Diskeruud/Benny Feilhaber type player. According to UEFA coefficients, Greece is a far tougher league than Norway (though Crete is probably not as strong a team as Rosenborg).

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how he will make the roster when we'll have everyone available.

Could see him getting a look at the first post-WC friendly.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Unless he starts absolutely tearing up the Greek 1st division - immediately - I can't see that happening. The friendlies between now and the World Cup are going to be for fine-tuning tactics and taking the 10 or so players that are have already played some internationals and selecting the 5 or so that are actually going to Brazil - one from Herc Gomez, Terrence Boyd or Eddie Johnson, etc. An occasional starter in the bottom third of the Greek league isn't going to be material for this cycle. Afterwards, sure, but not now.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Hoyos isn't competing with the forwards. He's competing with wingers/attacking mids. His best shot is to outplay Mix or Feilhaber (or maybe even Shea) as an offensive sub off the bench.

21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006