News: Michael Bradley, Geoff Cameron (and more?) comment on Trump's ban

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by naopon, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron came out in favor of the ban. Get ready for the mouth frothing to start!

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    ^ Missing link?

3. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    You mean he supports a temporary ban of refugees from countries that harbor terrorists that Obama identified and selected.

Sounds bipartisan and reasonable to me.

Alexisonfire, Three and Three and Bajoro repped this.
  4. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Come on, Tim, calling Geoff a neanderthal is a bit much.

ayers, COMtnGuy, Editor In Chimp and 3 others repped this.
  5. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bit ridiculous to say that Obama identified and selected without providing context. These countries were selected as part of a law passed by Congress to revoke visa waiver benefits from persons traveling to these countries since 2011. A far cry from the EO which is far reaching.

deuteronomy, mbar, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I was thinking Piltdown Man myself, but then I realized I would owe the man an apology.

Piltdown Man, I mean, as you now owe an apology to ... Neanderthals, wherever they may rest.

SamsArmySam repped this.
  7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    N&A?

ETA: Ridiculous thread title (and its not even the usual lame, have-to-explain-to-everyone-what-the-pun-was-about-thread-title)

mckersive and TimB4Last repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    He's been under the weather ...

9. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought I was in /BS/USA/USA Men. I shouldn't have responded.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Personally, I'd rather not see it there either, but I probably wouldn't complain (except for saying Cameron "loves" the ban).

Bajoro, mckersive and TimB4Last repped this.
  11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    This will tear our team apart. G-Cam will have to lead one squad and MB90 the other. I hear both are moving fast to get Adu and Pulisic on their side.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    A fascinating subplot of this is the journalistic pettiness between ESPN and Sports Illustrated. I couldn't find Bradley's comments on ESPN all weekend. I don't think it was an editorial stance on the Muslim ban; instead, I think it was because Bradley's comments originated after a talk with Grant Wahl of SI.

Compare that to Cameron, who earned a headline on the ESPN front page.

Geneva and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In before the lock!

Three and Three repped this.
  15. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #242 Three and Three, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    The man doesn't have the right to express his opinion? And he's balanced - there's none of Bradley's hyperbole or affected passion - and articulate. If anything, he should be admired for his bravery, for standing up to the new orthodoxy. I'd prefer that they all keep their mouths shut about this and other matters, truth to tell, but Cameron's statement wasn't the initial big splash; he's getting his licks in because he feels that he has to. So what?

In fact, the moderator should change the thread title to something factual. "Cameron weighs in on..."

We live in a wonderful country now: to express an opinion is to put your foot in your mouth.

16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. He's just stating the other side of the argument. He's a defender. Border control is what he does. :D

bballshawn, russ, deuteronomy and 11 others repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I still blame him for calling the Brexit vote with no plan! oh, wait...

Really, Geoff just doesn't realize that Germany is not one of the named countries and he still would have had Jurgie as a coach... oh wait

Maybe he thinks it will keep some Iranian competition out of MLS when he comes back at 42 for his retirement gig... badumbum

This kind of stuff is always better coming from an ex-Pat however... see ya.

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, what's wrong with Cameron stating his opinion when asked? I am not going to endorse his line of thinking nor do I agree with him, but what he said is no less acceptable than those of Bradley or Sauerbrun. Its similar to Rapinoe in some ways. It might not be popular but we live in a country of differing perspective and we should expect the personal opinions of athletes to mirror those of our society. If we shut out opinions we do not agree with and punish them are we really any different than those we criticize?

gunnerfan7, KC96, Owen Gohl and 6 others repped this.
  19. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Furthermore, someone on the News and Analysis forum had said that Cameron "loved" the ban. Cameron said that he supported it, that he was pleased with it. There was no glee, no malice. It's a sad chapter for everyone.

ChuckMe92, billf and sXeWesley repped this.
  20. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liberal or conservative, black or white, Muslim, Christian, atheist, straight or gay, red or blue; all of these people can and often do love America and our values. The primary, most important, fundemental freedom that America was founded on and must at all costs protect is FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

I applaud Geoff Cameron, I applaud Michael Bradley, the 1st ammendment does not exist to protect the majority opinion, to protect those I agree with, it exists to protect the opinions the majority, or you, or I disagree with and it is incumbent on all of us to cherish and protect this prinicple when you disagree.

bballshawn, russ, gunnerfan7 and 13 others repped this.
  21. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally, expressing my 1st ammendment right to my opinion, shame on you for this thread title, it is completly unjustifiable, biased and tone deaf. As someone who identifies as a leftist liberal and does not support the ban at all, this kind of biased, our team vs their team bullcrap, does no one any good.

Whatever applied to Bradley expressing his opinion applies to Geoff.

russ, gunnerfan7, adam tash and 8 others repped this.
  22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    The founding fathers would be ashamed. If George Washington logged in and saw this thread title he would be so sad he couldn't keep up the good fight for promotion/relegation for every American.

Three and Three and scott47a repped this.
  23. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    The problem with you running around on BigSoccer trying to get everyone to agree with you is that this isn't one of your echo chambers where everyone thinks exactly like you do.

As you can see by the responses to this thread you started as well as your post bringing this up in the MLS N&A daily news thread.

Too many reasonable people that understand people can have differing points of view and they aren't horrible beings just because they disagree with you.

deuteronomy, russ, gunnerfan7 and 4 others repped this.