Miami MLS Stadium News thread

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Bway_J

Bway_J New Member

May 31, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to nitpick but it's actually heavy rail not light rail on that line.

2. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this goes to a November ballot, then i hope you guys in Miami campaign this thing anywhere and everywhere in Miami. Educate the hell out residents about why it's a good idea to get rid of a huge green space in order to put a stadium up for a guy from England. I hope this goes well for y'all, but i don't like this going to public vote.

3. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I will be very surprised if it passes. Already saw people commenting on the Facebook marketing campaign that clear says "privately funded" about being confused if tax payers are paying for it. I think it being on the ballot will make people assume it is publicly funded. They will likely think there would be no other reason to vote on it.

5. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Southern Legion needs to be at every voting station with signs and shouting NO TAX DOLLARS WILL BE USED FOR FREEDOM PARK

6. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japanese multibillionaire Masayoshi Son is part of the investment group.
    He will be one of the richest investor/operator of all the MLS teams! (Mateschitz > Son > Allen)
    Nothing is guaranteed, but I think the odds will be in their favor.

We will see.

7. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2857 Granitza78, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  8. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how big are the people opposing the stadium deal, but they showed up in numbers. There’s a lot more resistance to this project than I thought.

11. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha. I’m sure Becks got the reference. He’s a huge Jay Z fan.

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the five years that David Beckham has spent trying to build a stadium for Miami’s future Major League Soccer team, what’s another week?

Following Thursday’s marathon Miami City Commission meeting, which was stretched out with hours of public testimony and debate, the commissioners deferred a decision to put a large-scale redevelopment at Melreese Country Club on the November ballot for six more days.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article214690475.html#storylink=cpy

14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    It isn't just one more week my friend. If the commission approves it goes to a public vote in NOVEMBER. I think this vote is dead on arrival. I wonder what happens when they wait until November for it to get shot down.

15. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    IMO this has no shot. The whole purpose of this is to get the public to allow this no bid process to go trough. That will be viewed as essentially giving it away. There’s a narrative out there trying to compare this to the Joe Robbie situation. They’re nothing alike. Stadium proponents will tell you that Joe Robbie leased the land for $1 per year. What they leave out is the land which was leased was given to Dade County by investors for the express purpose of leasing it to Robbie. Those men were in partnership with Robbie. So that land would never have been the county’s land for a millisecond had it not been for Robbie. What this did though was get the land out of private hands thus saving Joe Robbie millions in property tax per year.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/07/04/Dolphins-owner-gets-stadium-land/7444457761600/

Bottom line is that this is a valuable asset and MLS is asking to buy it without allowing the market to dictate the true value.

16. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Miami doesn't want MLS. I think they have shown that pretty clearly. I agree and can't see the public voting in favor of this. I think it will lose in a landslide.

17. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it brings closure one way or the other. This drama has gone on too long.

18. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In an interview today with the Miami Herald, Jorge Mas said they conducted a poll of 500 City of Miami residents and they asked the raw question, "Do you want a soccer stadium at the Melreese golf course?" and they got 67% in favor.

That is amazing support and that was before any visuals or advocacy campaigns. If this gets to the ballot, this is going to pass for sure.

Lucho305 repped this.
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoronaOrange repped this.
  20. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    And Hillary is president. We all know how accurate polls are.

21. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Ok. Looks like the yes votes are secured and this will be voted on come November.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  22. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I was going to comment on whether or not this project has support or not but it doesn’t matter because we will find out soon enough. I believe only City of Miami residents can vote. When you consider the tight boundaries of the city and the low voter turnout you are really only talking about 25,000 voters that will decide this (using last year’s mayoral election turnout). If it fails not sure what the next step is. Perhaps put the property out to bid? After all this vote is specifically to allow them to go through with the no bid process

23. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami City Commission APPROVES Nov Ballot initiative.

Now the Miami Voters decide.

Game on...:sneaky:

24. Strikermansteve

Feb 10, 2012
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    That's one victory for the democratic process...despite those two doofuses that didn't want it to go to the voters/their constituents for consideration. Let the PR campaign begin...

25. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Here's a few renders...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]