Miami MLS Stadium News thread

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 1, 2013.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Land sale approved. Now Miami MLS must get plans approved by city and be officially awarded a franchise by MLS (seems inevitable).

Andy Bulldog repped this.
  2. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I think this thing is really happening. The approvals needed going forward certainly impact some nearby communities but the commissioners will never pass up the chance to collect property tax on that land which would otherwise contribute very little to the coffers.

3. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Garber reiterated in August 2014 that the expansion would not be approved until a downtown stadium plan was secured."
    Isn't the land sale approval basically the same thing? They already have concepts etc, of stadiums, all they needed was a location, and now they have it.

"On June 6, 2017, the City of Miami approved the sale of the last parcel of land needed for the proposed stadium."

4. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    There are still zoning issues to deal with that could scuttle everything. Should they get zoning approval, I don't imagine much else would stand in the way.

5. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Not sure, but the permit process may pose a similar problem. Wasn't the final hearing in San Jose simply a decision to override a neighbor's objection to building it there, or was it for the zoning change?

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction:
    "On June 6, 2017, the COUNTY of Miami-DADE approved the sale of the last parcel of land needed for the proposed stadium."

The City still needs to approve the stadium plans. But from what I've read, the City isn't going to be a problem.

falvo, UCFWayne and Andy Bulldog repped this.
  7. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well hopefully, there will be no problems.

8. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious. I don't know anything about Miami or it's geography and neighborhoods but it looks like Overtown is just outside of the Downtown area but still in a dense urban area accessible by transit. Would the stadium benefit from anything in it's surrounding vicinity? It doesn't look like there's a lot going on around there as far as pregame/postgame activity options (food, drink, entertainment).

I wonder if the stadium will be a catalyst for more development in proximity to it. That would be cool.

9. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the only thing I remember about Overtown is the riots in 1980. Hey, maybe they can call the club the Miami Riot. That has a certain old-school MLS name flavor to it.

10. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    If your question can be reframed as: "Can Overtown be an area ripe for redevelopment?", I don't know the answer to that. Anything is possible in Miami. There are areas that have taken off in the past that were surprises (The Design District being one of them, which is north of downtown). But, stadiums don't have a good track record in Miami for being a catalyst toward redevelopment. Miami Arena was built several blocks to the east of this site and it sat right at a metrorail stop. The surrounding area never grew because of the arena. Marlins Park has been largely disappointing as a catalyst for growth (it's still a young park though so the book isn't closed there). I'm skeptical on what you're asking. It seems the Beckham group is promoting the idea of riding trains and water taxis pretty hard which would suggest they have no vision for the surrounding areas. Perhaps some gentrification can take place over time but that is something that is grass roots.

Tobias C repped this.
  11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be nice to have an in state rival. Still hoping Tampa gets a team as well.

13. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
  14. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I am sorry but anybody that thinks this is a done deal has not been following along. The Miami politicians have shown they are almost hell bent on keeping MLS out. I am not saying it isn't going to happen but I think a few on here are counting the chickens before they hatch.

UCFWayne repped this.
  15. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  16. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I like the typos in that presentation.

Geez, a professional effort might have been appropriate.

17. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone kinda disappointed the stadium plan is 25k capacity? I want us to be the next ATL United!

19. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Not disappointed. The likelihood of drawing 60K is low for any market that is why people are so taken by what has happened in Atl. and Seattle. If they did want something that big then wouldn't Hard Rock make more fiscal sense? Yes, but that is not an option for several reasons. The last thing this town needs is another stadium that holds 60K.

20. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not 60k but 40k would be ideal imo. At least have the capacity to be a banger. Im sure we can average 30-35k for 17 home games

21. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I'm more interested in the design than the capacity. Some safe standing terraces like they have in Orlando would be terrific. You can manipulate capacity within a small range that way.

Lucho305 repped this.
  22. Strikermansteve

Feb 10, 2012
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    NO! NO! NO! NO! Do not start at FIU or Marlins Park!!!!!!! Wait until the stadium is ready! Talk about torpedo-ing your own debut. Are they going to turn on the homerun sculpture when the team scores?! And G-d no, no FIU!!! Wait the extra year.

Granitza78 repped this.