Miami MLS General News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, May 14, 2014.

1. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is quickly turning into "As the World Turns"--unbelievable--even more obstacles in the way of the deal. The biggest seem to be getting the Overtown residents to say yes to the stadium and getting the zoning changed by the county. I t would be very awkward if Becks cant get approval from town residents after already having bought several parcels of land for the stadium.

3. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
  5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes--that was in the past. but now supposedly they have daddy warbucks on board and will have more than enough money to buy. Again I'll believe it when i see it.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was more than that, county and city putting a lot of ridiculous rules on hiring workers (such as requiring them to hire locals even if they failed a regular background check... yeah).

But new partner apparently seals the deal on having enough cash.

7. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Hiring local workers isn't a ridiculous request. It was part of the marlins park process. It is also a very easy rule to break and many of those so called locals that worked on marlins park were in fact not. Or so I've been told....

8. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Not if the failed background check part is true. Nobody should be forced to hire people that fail a background check.

9. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/soccer/fl-sp-david-beckham-mls-investor-20170427-story.html
    https://miami.curbed.com/2017/4/27/15452382/david-beckham-mls-miami-todd-boehly
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article149488729.html

...Becks finally has his big-money investor, Todd Boely of the Dodgers, the final piece to the puzzle which will allow him to build the 300+ million dollar stadium that he envisions. They're preparing to purchase the final parcel of land that they need to round out the stadium footprint. After that, all that's needed is city/county approval and it's a done deal. At this point, the city has already sold Beckham's group a large parcel of land without a bidding process, so it seems that they'll rubber stamp all formalities through provided that Becks has the money to develop it. Considering how much the city has done already, I can't see them turning around and blocking development on land that they just sold for that very reason.

No, the city was on board with a privately funded soccer stadium, the sticking point was the final investor. It's interesting for me to find that Beck's was trying to negotiate to bring in Qatar on his bid. No doubt in a bid to rival Man City NY for the wealthiest investor in the league. That said, it had been said that his issues in finding a final investor (considering the mere 25 million dollar buy-in that would instantly multiply x 10 in value the moment that the team was active and hit the field considering the current Forbes valuation of existing teams) was that Beckham wanted an investor willing to put in money to help fund the stadium while not ceding primary control of the team.

Considering how many wealthy men are currently bidding to pay full price to get into MLS, I can't imagine that his job of attracting investment would have been this difficult had it not been for the control aspect. Or maybe it wasn't that difficult at all and he was merely being picky as hell and it took MLS to step up pressure and finally bring him about to making a decision.

That said, I never have (nor do today) doubted that MLS was ever going to finally award Miami a team once they were ready. They had a contract with Beckham, and unless they wrote a deadline into that contract, they would owe him a good amount of money if they didn't ultimately let him into the league. This also goes towards the final approval process with MLS' BOG as well. No it is always possible that they may find some reason to find fault with one of his investors, but Beckham's investors are integral to his involvement in the league, so I can't see them pulling back on that if his stadium plan was sound and all T's crossed and I's dotted.

But who knows... look at how many false starts DC had in their stadium search or how Sacremento has thrown a near certain deal into doubt. It could all fall apart tomorrow should there be a struggle for control of the bid between Becks and his new investor.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread... for the Miami MLS expansion forum.

11. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Where the hell is it? And why didn't the search function pull it up?

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that was the point of my comment. I'm all for govt encouraging outside investors to use local talent, but disregard a background check..? What?

Lancaster FC and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right under MLS Expansion, where the Candidate Cities are.
    (Don't worry I moved it for you).

Unak78 repped this.
  14. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

... wait what happened to all our copper wiring? What do you mean it "fell off the truck?"

whiteonrice04 and SoccerPrime repped this.
  15. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    When you brought it up the first time there was an implication that local workers with failed checks were being hired over outsiders with a clean record. Where did you read that something like this happened? The execution of the rule is a different thing entirely, but the actual rule itself (keeping the work local) is positive.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herald and NMT articles from last year. Not sure which ones.

Cleat-USA repped this.
  17. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So quiet, why? vote that determines if we get team is Tuesday June 6th.. yall want this or not? lets start talking again

Andy Bulldog repped this.
  18. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was going to wait till that vote was cast and made official. but this is pretty much a done deal.

Lucho305 repped this.
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow nights the big meeting.

20. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait, tomm night? the vote is in the morning

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now in fact.

22. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_0947.jpg

one huge step. this thing is pretty much done.

i imagine theres a lot of ppl out in these forums eating a giant crow right now!

Capt.Tsubasa and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a 2019 start with stadium to be complete in 2020. MLS in town next week.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  24. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Officially,

Day 1218 of the MIAMI MLS HOSTAGE CRISIS.

...the end is near?

...please God.:geek:

QuietType repped this.