Miami/Ft Lauderdale/WP Beach, soccer events

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by leca, Dec 17, 2002.

1. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    looks like US v Canada game has competition with that tournament.

They should have moved the USA game to early afternoon, or to Sunday, or the tournament folks should have moved to Sunday.

That way... fans could have watched both?

2. soccer4sFlorida

soccer4sFlorida New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    YES, and the local promoters are furious...they
    have placed a $ 500,000 bond to have the
    tournament at the OB, and it is a double header.

but the US soccer booking manager...did say
    that there are enough fans to go round...and
    the games have dif...following.

BS..I would of went to both, if time allowed...

nevertheless, will be a interesting experiment,
    have 2 venues, 30 miles appart..

you can catch the OB tournament, next WED night,
    also next Sat. night ....all double headers

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, they'll have a good time. How can they not enjoy themselves? It's the beautiful game. My wife and i are driving down from Tampa, i can't wait.

4. soccer4sFlorida

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    dont forget tomorrow night at the OB
    the second installment on the Torneo de las
    Americas....and Saturday the last of
    the double headers, of the tournament..

http://www.thesoccergroup.com/

the BIG one...FEB 8th

USA-Argentina
    12 pm @ OB, M I A M I

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    USA-ARG supporter tickets

www.sachinshah.net/pages/soccer.htm

these tickets are through the USA Supporters, but everything is General Admission behind the goals (where the tickets will be for)... the price is $22

tickets will be left at will call under the name that you order them with... if you have any questions, please send Sachin an email at soccer@sachinshah.net or post the question to our yahoo group mailing list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usasupporters

everyone is welcome to join the group on the web and at the match, where we will be standing and singing the whole match (you don't even need to purchase tickets with us, just find us and join in!!)

we currently have 300+ people in our yahoo mailing list, the more the merrier

-jim

6. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Is this some kind of dark side to Sam's Army.

I actually like the scarf, however, the skull heads are a bit off I think... I think they are more appropriate for a Raider type paraphanailia than for a national team. I nasty looking eagle's head on each end may have been more appropriate and just as "initmidating".

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    the scarf is an idea, and won't be gotten until there are enough orders

i wouldn't say we are a dark side of SA... we are just entirely focused upon the in game support... SA doesn't offer what we want

that's not to say that there aren't SA people within us, there are... and SA is a great group, we just want something different... we want an area where everyone is standing and going nuts for 90 minutes... like section 8 in chicago

so far our group has only done one match: the el salvador friendly in dc... the cameras kept panning on us and calling us "sam's army"... this is because we were the loudest group there, never stopping in our support of the boys on the field

we are just taking a cue from mls support, mls support has currently surpassed our national team support and we need to fix that... we believe this to be the path to fixing it

which is why we try to reach out to the local club's supporters everywhere

Stars and Stripes, Forever
    -jim

8. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Don't get me wrong about the "dark" side comment. I agree with you entierly with your ideas. I just don't like the skull crossed bones at the ends of the scarf... I'm not sure they really fit with the meaning of supporters of a national team particularly the US national team.

The skull and bones generally implicate death/poison/fatal/piracy hence "dark" as opposed to something just intimidating but not neccessarily "dark" if you know what I mean.

Just don't get a good feeling correlating national pride with a symbol of death.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    a lot of people have shared your feelings on the scarf, but since no one has really come up with a better idea, that's still the scarf (and it is entirely open for change)

it sounds like you might want to joing the email group and throw your ideas out there, plus it would help to have someone from the miami area on there to give ideas on where to stay and what to do the night before and after the game

10. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    I guess you didn't see my eagle suggestion I made above.

An oblique or side angle view of a eagle's face(sorta like the seahawks- though not just a profile view) just slightly angled. A focused in view of say the eagle as he is coming down on his prey. Maybe like the Philadelphia Eagles emblem but just focusing on the eagle's facial expression, not the entire eagle.

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    sorry, what i meant was that you would need to sell it to the group

make an image of it and post it for the group to see

:)

12. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    one more game in south fla

Homestead, just south of kendal area

game sub20 national teams - 5236 paid customers

mex 2-0 Usa... lost one player to a red card
    and the ole ole ole started then.....Hopefully vs. argentina the do better

13. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Whoew, they certainly didn't market this game for US fans... I live about 20 away from Harris field(down the FL Turnpike) and I didn't even hear about this game. I'm sure the game was probably targeted to the lone Mexican comunity in Miami-Dade County. The relatively large community if migrant workers in the rural town/small city of Florida City/Homestead. With 5236 fans I'm sure that high school stadium was jam packed with Mexican fans. Maybe it was a good thing I didn't hear about it... if you know what I mean :)

PS: I remember for Fusion games, a caravan of Homestead Mexican fans that usually appeared only when the LA Galaxy was in town. There to cheer for the Galaxy... I hated that... they were actually pretty loud and sat in the upper seats behind the goal.

14. leca

leca New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    PB County
  15. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Hey Ieca, considering the numerbers for the recent games in S. Florida

and 25,000

with the 6,600 figure being the lone Lockhart match would you consider MLS returning to S. Florida in Miami whether in a renovated HS SSS or in the ole OB(at least temorarily).

With those numbers that Lockhart 6,600 sticks out like a sore thumb, ouch. 'N were not even mentioning the 35 to 50,000 we might see for the US-Argentina match in less than 2 weeks at Miami's OB.

PS: Forget about your argument about Lockhart's rent being much cheaper. Its obvious MLS would much rather see the numbers, just look at the cash MLS pays to support the Metrostars in expensive Giant stadium. If that was such an issue they would have converted the small Randall Island stadium(where the NY Centaurs of the APSL used to play) into a SSS a long time ago. But, no, they won't do that because RI stadium is old and small time no matter how you renovate it (similar to Lockhart) even though its adjacent to and much closer to Manhathan/NYC.

16. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    Reading these posts I notice that there's talk about lack of promotion. If this is true I sometimes wonder if the federation wants US fans to see a game? What the hell is going on. Hopefully there will be a good crowd for the US-Argentina game.
    I don't know anything about Lockhart Stadium but I'm wondering is the low turnout for the Canada game something to do with particularly white America not caring! This leads to the federation not doing much to market the games.

17. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Paul,

Here is a clip of an email I sent to a buddy explaining the lack of promotion of the US game particularly in the Miami are and the large Hispanic community there.

"Apparently it was the USSF that messed up. They had given the OB tournament's promoter
    those dates months ago charging the promoter a $500,000 bond just to set those dates. When the US nats game was set for the same date, the promoter, naturally, protested. So the USSF came up the sorry excuse that the US friendly was set for a different "target" audience so the promoter need not worry that the Lockhart game would hurt attendance for the opening of his
    tournament's games. Therefore, there's your answer, many of those hispanics "chose" to go to OB instead of Lockhart...because they didn't
    even know about the game...as it was planned out that way USSF. "

USSF had to avoid promoting the game, particularly in Miami. Because they had to make it look like they were not infringing on the "Tounament of the Americas" promoter's target audience. Interestingly, of the few 6,600 in the Lockhart game there WAS pleanty hispanics there.

As far as, the promotion of the game even among the anglo community in S.Florida I know it was not promoted in any way or form in Miami-Dade... ?what about in Broward and PB? So I'm not sure if you can entirely blame the Anglo population for the low turnout... when the story behind the US quarterfinal run was on every major national network day and night in the mornings as well as on late night talk shows last summer and nowhere was it promoted that many of those same hero's would be in our back yard, including Landon Donovan and our Fusion's own Pablo Mastroeni.

As far as the game in the OB, I've yet to see any promotion for the game. However, mark my words there will be over 35,000 for that match... hispanics are spreading the news by word of mouth and I'm not speaking of supporters of the Argentine squad. I believe most non-Argentine Hispanics will be pulling for the red, white, and blue... specifically all Hispanic-Americans as well as the more recent arivals from Colombia, Ecuador,Brazil, Chile, Honduras, Peru, Chile, Venezuela, El Salvador, Costa Rica plus others.

See ya at the game... lets make the snobby Argentines cry in the S. Florida sun.

18. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    Thanks for the answer!
    I do go on a bit about the anglo turnout because of the low US turnout like the gold cup a few years ago at the orange bowl. Honestly, sometimes I feel stupid when I turn up to games in US colors when hardly anyone else does, and I'm not even American, although my wife is. It does feel damn odd, but I guess nobody really knows abroad how the US National team is the away team in it's own country.
    I don't want to really knock people who support their background, I even admire the following that the hispanics give Mexico here, but I feel that 25 US supporters, or that's how it feels sometimes isn't balanced enough.
    I hope there will be a nice turnout though. I was amazed by the atmosphere that there was for the US-Haiti game for instance a couple of years ago. I'm sure the Hispanics will turn out in force and create another great atmosphere. I've been to RFK a couple of times and games at the OB are just as exciting.

19. leca

leca New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    PB County
    NATIONAL SHAME,
    not to have MLS is S. Florida

MLS/AEG need to take a hard look
    where they are, and where they are going.

All the US supporters including the
    Argentines present, can confirm:

the S.Florida OB atmosphere today,
    is hard to be matched anywhere, in USA.

S. Florida..congratulations.
    what we witnessed today, is light years
    of MLS's understanding, on what
    passion is, and how to capitalize on it

Where was Garber today ???

MLS/AEG/Garber/Horrorbitch, YOU
    made a big mistake.

If you did not make it, today...It was GREAT
    (to bad we played like school boys)
    www.biktop.net/soflastrikers/

20. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami

Thank you Ieca... I think you and others that witness the match live or even on ESPN 2 can say they could feel the passion running thru the veins of all present at that match, US or Arg backers.

It was truly a special moment and actually reminded me of the Fusion days. You see many Afusionados used to sing very similar chants behind the goals just like at this game.

There were pleanty of Argentine fans but their was plenty of US fans as well. Unfortunatly, from a TV point of view few of the Sammer and US backers were not show to the National TV audience. Nearly the entire endzone crowd was backing the US and chanted nearly the entire match... too bad those at ESPN didn't show much of the US croud like they do in other venues.

I had a great time regardless... great atmosphere and pleanty of fans.....which makes me wonder if that attendence figure is incorrect. I've been to numberous Gold Cup matches in the past with crowds of 30-35k in the stands and this crowd certainly appeared in that range if not more yet they say there was only 27k. Maybe those Gold Cup matches numbers were fundged or maybe the atmosphere at yesterdays match was just so great but I thought there was at least 35k at that match(most of the lower bowl was filled except for the corners of the south stands.

PS: Another point. I believe that many of those Argentine fans would have supported their Argy-American brother Pablito Mastroeni playing for a MLS MIAMI Fusion had they played in the OB not Lockhart.

MLS and Horobitch MUST reconsider the MIAMI area. Thought I don't think its a fair test... I do believe MLS is "testing" the MIAMI market in having two preseason MLS matches played duriing Carnaval Miami next month. I believe it would be a postive test if they can get over 10K for either one or both matches. However, realistically, I don't think that will happen. The soccer "knowlegable" know there isn't much interesting in watching players "practice" games that are meaningless and played durring the week. Regardless lets hope at least the bulk of the traditional 8 to 10k former Fusion fans can show up in Fusion attire/support and another 2 to 3k plus can show up. Anthing around 14 to 15K would be seen as an "eye-opener" for the higher ups in MLS.
    Lets hope an pray and put in our own effort in hopes that we get our Fusion back ASAP.

21. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was at the game yesterday and also at the last day of the tournament held there a couple of weeks ago (with olimpia, barcelona, nacional, and alizensa (sp?) and the whole north side of the stadium, not including the 2nd level, was filled and they said it was like 22k at that game. yesterday the whole north side was full, some of the top level was, the endzone was pretty much full, and almost half of the south side was full, so in other words i have NO idea how it could only be 27k. i believe the orange bowl holds around 60k, if thats is correct i would of guessed 35-40k yesterday/

22. quinella box

quinella box Member

May 24, 1999
    Clearwater, FL USA
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They lied about the attendance. It was between 35k and 40k.

23. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    No Quinella, I think thats a bit counterproductive that someone purposefully lied... however a miscount could be rather posible.... it tends to happen in FL for some reason.

They may have not counted an entire entrance's tally or something like that. As "astaboot" stated the entire lower bowl at the endzones and the north end were filled including some of the upper north tier...not to mention most of the southern lower bowl. I could easily believe there was 37k instead of 27k based on crowd experiece. It could EASILY be stated that the stadium was certainly half filled...aprox 37k precisely.

24. soccer4sFlorida

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    OB holds nearly 80,000
    By far, there where more than 27,000
    more like 35,000 plus, plus, plus...

it was a site to behold, GREAT

USA looked scrappy most of the game, I am
    for the NATS... but the scor 1-0 did not reflect
    the quality of the Argentina team..
    unfortunatelly the MLS guys, took Argentina
    out of the game with the scrap, and the
    lesson .... you cant win if all you do is chase the
    ball , and cant string more than 2 passes together.

Good US crowd, but Argentina fans had more
    passion.

We/Bruce failed to get the US crowd in the game.

GREAT, Great, venue... to bad we lost

on the MLS games issue at OB or anywhere
    in S. Florida, I seriously doubt that it will be lots
    of intersst for the games..

reasons:
    1.. contraction
    2.. loco'ls fans/WP/Lauderdale/Miami
    (most) are very loyal, true fans, we cant
    identify with nothing..at this games.
    3.. it used to be FREE..now they want $ 15
    plus $ 10 for parking
    4.. OB is still the best for Internationals,
    the 25 miles radius, is ethnically fragmented, and
    loyal to National teams, and one of the poorest
    areas in USA (city of Miami proper, unfortunatelly
    is listed, as one of the lowest income cities in
    the Nation)
    5.. Market test ....this would be one of the most
    stupid way for MLS to test, it can set us up
    for further, blunders,and bashing.

THIS COULD SET US UP, FOR A 'I TOLD YOU SO'
    SCENARIO

we have proven, time after time, that S.Florida
    is one of the top true soccer HERITAGE areas
    in US...we need to prove NOTHING

ps. for the Kendall fans that travel to Lockhart,
    try the Tpke to Commercial, go east 2 miles..
    It never took me more than 45 minutes to the
    gates.

Many Diaz, also had a news conf..before the Honduras game, and mentined he wanted to attract MLS back????? the ah is 2 years late.

MT... it is not that some of us are for Lockhart,
    is that we are not convinced historicaly, in league
    soccer at OB..
    WE SUPPORT THE MARKET...

25. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Manny wasn't the mayor back when the Fusion were around. Instead we had that idiot wife beater who hated Futbol. He prefered an empty OB rather then to lower the rent. That was such a waste...

I used to make the drive up from Kendall for every game at Lockhart, sometimes I even went alone (ask fusionmansteve). I did it from the beggining. It's about passion and love of the sport, it's about tradition and the Fusion started to have that but they took it away from us.

How can we support MLS?
    The only way is to bring back the Fusion. Hell, I'll even support a revamped Strikers team. But to support these MLS teams? I doubt many of us would do it, especially if we have to pay for it. Does anyone actually think going to these games will prove anything? Nope, not until we get someone with the cash to actually buy into this idea.

Anyone have a rich friend out there?