Miami, Florida

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can Miami land a team for 2012/2013?

Just need some dedicated investors, and a marketing scheme that will atract all of Miami (all ethnicities)...

Inter Miami 2012 (International Miami F.C.)

2. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    support the teams you have first....

3. IHaveWorms

IHaveWorms Member

May 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Why not "Real Inter Miami United FC"? So you could also catch the people of spanish and english decent.

Stop euro-poserism !!!

4. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how is international Miami FC euro-snopism besides the FC part. its just creating an international brand that could be built on in the future. good marketing i think.

5. SpaceAddict

SpaceAddict New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LoL... Typical Euro mentality -- The whole world wants to be Euro.

I guess... (just to name a few)

All Boys (Arg.) est. 1913
    Argentinos Juniors (Arg.) est. 1904
    Banfield (Arg.) est. 1896
    Boca Juniors (Arg.) est. 1905
    Newell's Old Boys (Arg.) est. 1903
    Racing Club (Arg.) est. 1903
    River Plate (Arg.) est. 1901
    Everton (Chile) est. 1909
    Santiago Morning (Chile) est. 1903
    Santiago Wanderers (Chile.) est. 1892
    Internacional or "INTER" (Brazil) est. 1909

... all are being Euro-posers!!!

:confused::rolleyes::p

6. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same way as anybody else. $40 million for the expansion fee, an ownership group with the ability to absorb years of losses, a facility situation the league finds agreeable, and plans to be in a stadium you control sooner rather than later. That's about it.

After the FCB/Claure thing went south and now that Miami FC is moving to Ft. Lauderdale...just paints a negative picture. If there are local businessmen willing to step up, you're in. If not, you're not.

7. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please look at the years these clubs were founded

I concur with this statement. The reason Montreal, Vancouver, Philadelphia and Portland are getting teams is because there was a fanbase in place. Hell Philly didn't even have a team, but still had a fanbase. If I were to look at Lockhart and see hundreds of supporters, I'd think damn they should make the jump. The problem is, like most pro Florida teams, I count more empty seats than people.

8. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer was still in its infancy in Latin American when those clubs were copying European club names or choosing names that sounded English/British/European, etc (that's not the case with the Brazilian Inter, but it is the case for Latin American clubs with English names). Similarly, soccer is still in its infancy (relatively speaking) in the USA, so it is hardly surprising that some of our clubs are going to have so-called "poser" names.

It's different though in the case of Ft. Lauderdale, as that city has a real pro soccer pedigree and shouldn't be using any other name except Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

But right now you do see a mostly full stadium (5,000 average even in bad weather) in Tampa and hundreds of supporters (ie Ralph's Mob), and yet all people want to talk about in Florida is Miami, Miami, Miami.

Miami has always been a complete disaster in pro soccer, for the past forty years. The only success South Florida pro soccer has ever had has been at Lockhart Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale.

Activity of Miami soccer fans here on Big Soccer and elsewhere on the internet, has no relationship to the number of soccer fans that actually show up for games, unfortunately.

How many more years of solid support in Tampa before the Rowdies start to be taken seriously? Five years? Ten years? Seriously, it's like the Rowdies have to return to their original NASL era levels of attendance to be noticed and we all know that can't happen in D2.

9. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does not have to be a local businessman, though.

Claure ain't necessarily out of the picture, either, which is why Garber keeps talking South Florida.

At some point the Rowdies success in drawing support with minimal marketing effort to a minor league baseball stadium for D2 level soccer has got to get noticed somewhere by someone.

It need not be the Glazers or even the Steinbrenners or anyone local.

10. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the flip side is that the reason Toronto, Salt Lake and to a lesser extent Seattle have MLS teams is because that's where the money was.

The only thing D2 support would decide when it comes to South Florida MLS is where the team would play and potentially what it would be called.

If next year, when the Strikers name returns to Lockhart Stadium, we see crowds like the APSL Strikers got(3-5K), that would only further prove Miami's inability to support pro soccer, as the very same team drew crowds that barely broke 1,000, if that, in Miami. If not, then if MLS comes back it will probably play somewhere in Miami-Dade County, which to be fair has not had a chance to support D1 soccer since the Toros moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1977.

11. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are these fans for MLS expansion, look how packed it got in brickell.. How can we tell these fans that World Cup is not the only soccer in the world....

With the addition of Lebron James the celebrity's at the Heat games there is a possibility of getting investors for a MLS team...

Another possible investor that cam to mind was Enrique Iglesias, his father was a soccer player before he became the singer, he played for spain national team, maybe his son can get interest in a MLS team down here in Miami....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HC8Pr26uGY"]YouTube- World Cup 2010 - Fans React to Spain Goal - Spain vs. Netherlands - Miami, FL[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4u56bT60XE&feature=player_embedded"][/ame]

12. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Cup=/=MLS

13. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, but with the overwhelming support for the World Cup(South Florida is #1 in ratings and also the GOUSABID petition signatures), the foundation for a successful MLS team is there.

The hispanic community supported the cup strong as always, but bars and pubs were also packed with USA fans for those games. Not just flag waving, bandwagon poseurs, but actual USA fans.

With over 5 million people in the tri-county area, and the highest ratings in the nation for the World Cup(top 5 for USA games), you ought to be able to get 20K a game for a properly run MLS team.

Every team that has played under the name "Miami" has come in with the "if you build it, they will come" approach, assuming the Latin crowd will flock to see any live soccer. That's obviously not the case. Ask the Gatos/Toros, Freedom/Sharks, Fusion and now Miami FC. You have to put effort into it and put a quality product out there(whether the team wins or not), or people won't care. That's why the Fort Lauderdale Strikers did the best. Both the NASL and APSL teams were class organizations people could get behind.

14. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Maybe Beckham can bring a team once he retires?

16. Untouchable305

Untouchable305 New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they can wear this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are four main criteria for a city to be considered for MLS expansion:
    * Committed long-term ownership with deep pockets.
    * Approved plan to build a soccer-specific stadium where the team would control revenue streams such as parking and concessions.
    * A healthy media market
    * A strong soccer fanbase

So which of these points does Miami have? 0

18. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well i beg to differ, I think we have a healthy Media Market... The world cup was pretty widely viewed out here

I also believe we can get any ownership with longterm and deep pockets.. Not just beckham but miami has alot of famous people out here..

I say we have 2 out the 4, the last bullet, id say we have it, small but dedicated supporters for soccer in general..

So maybe 2.5 out the 4, which is not bad

Now once we begin to get attention of a possible investor with plans for a SSS, and Miami MLS team, etc... the fans will come out, obviously that investor has to be smart and plan his own big marketing campaign, and not do a Claure/FCB using Ultras for marketing. (not right).

so yeah we will get a team whitestar, and I honestly hope Tampa gets a team as well, so we can continue to hate each other...
    Because holy shit I hate you and Tampa, but I hope we both get a team in MLS..:D

19. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice man, you have any other uniforms for Miami, in other colors? say for a team called Magic City FC

20. dogfreid

dogfreid New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a strong market in Miami, but only if star power is present. What other cities out there can boast over 1,000 kids three times a week playing pickup soccer games at just one park in Kendall, Miami? I repeat: that's just at one park. The thing is, they all have their Messi and Ronaldo jerseys on. Obviously players of this caliber won't be making it to South Florida to play in the MLS, but if a Miami team were to pickup a couple of DPs on the level of RBNY's recent acquisitions, then Miami support would begin to emerge.

The problem is that you can't field the Kansas City Wizards lineup here in Miami and expect people with ten thousand other things to do on any given night to either watch the game from home or attend. This isn't Columbus. In order for an event to flourish here in Miami it has to be sufficiently attractive. With a couple of high quality/big name players, it could be done. The World Cup was absolutely massive down here.

But yeah, the owner and the stadium issues still loom large.

21. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, there has to be some level of star power. But I think it would have more to do with a quality product overall. A decent, playoff-contending team would do just fine. As a bonus though Miami would be as big of a draw as anywhere for DP-caliber players.

We have the media market, population, and facilities. And MLS knows why the Fusion failed, and probably knows it was a mistake to bail on Florida and prop up equally struggling markets like KC, Dallas and SJ(no offense to Wizards, FCD and Quakes fans out there).

We just need the right pieces to fall into place. Best chances IMO lie with Dolphins and Sun Life Stadium owner Stephen Ross, who wants more events at his venue, especially after the Marlins leave in 2012. And they want renovations to the stadium. It'll be an easier sell to local officials if there is a soccer tenant there too, as opposed to just 10-12 Dolphins games, 6 'Canes games and an occasional Bowl game/Super Bowl:

[​IMG]

If they do a Seattle setup, limit capacity to 20-30K with tarps, and market it right, it would work great.

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are rumors swirling that USSF may force some D2 teams to play in D3.

23. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, Tampa have fun in D3!!

24. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHA, probably both teams will play in D2.

25. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the Strikers announcements? Are they playing this year, are they having a party for the Kit unvieling? Are we having a schedule for this team for next season?

Give Miami some info, we dieing ova heer....