Miami FC vs Portland Toothpicks [R]

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by Red Harvest, May 8, 2006.

1. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
  2. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took the day off work. I'll be there as early as I can. I'm hoping for 3 pts out of this one boys! I'd feel better about the team as a whole if I could see a more potent offense. The skill seems to be there.....the passes aren't.....I believe this to be a time/training issue. This should improve over the season and even get better next season. <pondering> It's just so nice to have soccer back in South Florida, regardless of how well they do this year. :)

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Yeah newt, I'm thinking we have a really good chance to win this one.

Portland is a good team but Miami FC just has to string passes together. Romario needs to run a little more too to help El Loco and the midfield.

Miami FC 1 - 0 Portland

4. miami305fc

miami305fc New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    in da hood
    today we win but im taking my rain jacket just in case

5. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rain Clouds are moving away! Looks like you wont need the rain jacket!

I'll be on the East side for this game! I want to go check it out!

I wish I had a cow bell! Anyone have a cow bell? In Ecuador when the home team attacks they ring the cow Bell! It's really cool... and since I usually sit on the West side it would compliment the Drums on the East side!

6. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta Kazoo....ummmm, maybe not........how about a chainsaw? That would be appropriate! And we could all wear lumberjack plaid! LOL!
    <ahem> Sorry, getting carried away...

"Timmmmmmmm-berrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" :D
    Se ya there!

7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    2-1 Miami in the 62nd minute

8. CORE_ZSUL

CORE_ZSUL New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    END OF GAME

Miami 3 x 2 Portland

9. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    3-2 Miami Final

Romario with 2 goals! Although one was questionable. Regardless, our first win!

10. CORE_ZSUL

CORE_ZSUL New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Attendance??? Anybody know?

11. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on your first league win.

12. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many people for this game and too bad for those that didn't go cause they missed 2 great goals by Romario!

The controversial goal was Miami's 2nd one, the line man was in a good position. The ball hit the inside of the goal just passed the crossbar and bounced out. I saw it go in too.

In all Portland played well, their first goal was a gift from the goalie who didn't clear fast enough and the ball hit the Forward and bounced in. The Second Portland goal was from a penalty to tie the game.

Miami kinda didn't play well, they mistimed passes, made dumb plays but the savior was Romario who can stick a ball in the net from anywhere! The first goal was him a defender and the goalie... he just took his time and placed it in an angle. His second was a cross that appeared he would never reach but as little as he is he headed that sucker in!

13. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    I'm happy MFC got their first win, this will help the fans relax. :cool:

14. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    2500 is still a good number for a Friday night crowd.

Saturday late afternoon/night games are the best chance to get a 3000+ crowd.

People wanna hit the clubs as soon as they leave work on Friday and Sunday games are tough 'cause most people want to relax at home before they head back to work on Monday.

15. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
    any photos from the game?

16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    River or Newt are your best bets for pics.

Hopefully, they took some.

17. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chichi beat me to the punch tonight. We both saw that second Miami goal from the North-East end bleachers. Questionable? No. From our angle, it looked like a goal. It seemed to hit the underside of the top crossbar, bounce down inside the line with spin and then back out onto the pitch. From the linesman's view, it had to be an absolute goal. Of course, the Timber players argued about it with the refs for many minutes after, but what's that gonna get them?
    When Miami was up 2-1, I just wanted them to take Romario out for a defensive player. I kept mumbling after the 80th for them not to give up the silly goal (which they did on a penalty, that I did not see, unfortunately ). Like Chichi said, they were sloppy all over the field (especially at the top of the box), but I thought the ball movement seemed to have improved a bit. That last goal was a beauty. The cross from the right was nice and Miami had three men (count 'em, 3) in the box. They hadn't really done this all game.

No beer was a bummer. They were calling "last call" on water just after I arrived at the stands (7:34pm). I'm sure it had to do with it being a county/city park. If the team has plans for further stadium expansion, then they should just buy that end of the park so that the they can make their own rules on that sort of thing. IMO. "Dry" sporting events are usually not great attendance creators.

Not mentioned yet was that Miami's quick attack easily slowed 30% (by the gauge of a friend next to me) when El Loco was carted off with an injury. As mentioned in other threads, his work rate is wonderful for a forward. A fan is just as likely to see him digging out a ball deep in our defense as he is to see him tear a run out into the attacking half. I happen to love the guy and am concerned about the extent of his injuries. Yeh, Romario got 2 goals, but he mostly moved like a monolith. I should add that I did see Romario play a bit of defense in the back half and collect middle balls at the center line as well.

This was a different lineup tonight. I saw a couple players that have never been together before. With a game on Sunday, I'm guessing the coach is resting some of his regular guys and shuffling the lineup accordingly. This is a wonderful opportunity for the team to move to the upper end of the table early. They could get out of the weekend with 6pts (8pts total) if they keep it together! :D

Pics? Uh, yeh I have a few. I was playing with my new 5mp camera and an old digital binocular/camera I have. The binoculars were crap and my new camera settings were inappropriate for the situation. I got half a dozen decent pics. I'll post soon.............river?

18. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: Pics of the match are up. They is what they is........:(
    The best ones are early while it was still a bit light out...........
    One blurry one is of the Timbers' penalty situation, another is of El Loco being carted off (ie; reason for posting blurry freakin' pics). :eek:
    Two are enhanced "artwork" I made with a couple of botched binocular/camera shots.
    Here's the link:
    Miami FC vs Portland May 12 2006 - Pictures

[​IMG]

Miami FC 3 vs. Portland Timbers 2
    Scoring/Goles:
    Portland- Chisoni 7
    Miami- Romario 13 (Rodriguez)
    Miami- Fraser 51 (Jean-Jacques)
    Alcaraz- Cuellas 86 (PK)
    Miami- Romario 89 (Gil)
    Discipline/Tarjetas:
    Miami-- Pulido (caution/amarilla) 36, UB
    Portland-- Nsien (caution/amarilla) 39, UB
    Portland-- Chisani (caution/amarilla) 41, UB
    Portland-- Gutierrez (caution/amarilla) 49, UB
    Miami-- Erush (caution/amarilla) 65, UB
    Portland-- Miranda (caution/amarilla) 71, UB
    Miami-- Adeyemi (caution/amarilla) 71, UB

Game Stats/Estadisticas de Juego
    Miami FC Portland Timbers
    Total Shots/Tiros al Arco: 8 6
    Total Saves/Atajadas: 0 1
    Fouls/Faltas: 19 15
    Corner Kicks/Tiros de Esquina: 2 5
    Referee/Arbitro: Colin Tait
    Referee's Assistants/Asistente Arbitros: Reggie Rutty; Cheron Clark
    4th Official/Cuarto Oficial: Aquilles Duero
    Weather/Tiempo: Clear -and- 86 degrees/Despejado y 86 grados
    Attendance/Asistencia:
    Miami FC Lineup/Alineacion
    1 GK/P Chris Doyle
    3 D Tre Lee (Koniever 77)
    23 D Mike Erush
    14 D Jamil Jean-Jacques (Ramirez 78)
    5 M J.P Rodrigues
    24 M Mike Adeyemi
    16 M John Pulido
    7 M Sean Fraser (Gil 66)
    10 M Zinho (Harrington 83)
    9 F/D Mario Rodriguez (Walsh 55)
    11 F/D Romario
    Portland Timbers Lineup/Alineacion
    31 GK Saunders Josh
    2 D Goodfellow Joacobi (Brown 77)
    26 D Nsien Michael
    14 D Garrett Marcum
    17 D Thompson Scot (Kreamolmeyer 8)
    13 M Gutierrez Alejandro (Bartlome 63)
    7 M Alcaraz-Cuellar Hugo
    15 M Alvarez Byron
    8 M Miranda Edwin
    21 F Chisoni Mamba (Ready 87)
    4 D Morrison Lee

19. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, Red. Where were you getting the info?
    Were you listening to a spanish PBP on Caracol ?
    Really, I can't complain about a five goal game that we got three points out of, but I would have liked to capture this one somehow. As this was a fluke for me to get the day off, I'm still interested in following the team's matches by any means necessary (radio,web & later on FSC).

"Vayamos Miami !!!"
    "Use the Force, Miami!!" .........LOL!!

20. miami305fc

miami305fc New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    in da hood
    i went yesterday miami still needs to mold together they have no chemistry but aat the end of the night a win is a win

21. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Nah, no radio Newt.

I was following the thread over at Allison's Timbers board..

http://www.soccercityusa.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1147475066

Most of the updates came from the Timbers' official website sprinkled in with some messages from a Timbers fan who was texting back updates from the game to a poster on the message board.

22. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Based on the photos, there seemed to be a decent crowd. Any word on attendance? The two goals by Romario will only help boost attendance for future matches.

23. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen
    The victory even made the Dutch press. The newspaper "Dagblad van het Noorden"(Dailypaper of the North) Reported this article (translation below).

Voetballer Romario doet het weer

anp | Gepubliceerd op 13 mei 2006, 17:37

MIAMI - Leeftijd, land, club, het lijkt niet uit te maken voor Romario. De 40-jarige Braziliaanse topschutter heeft de eerste twee doelpunten voor zijn nieuwe Amerikaanse werkgever FC Miami genoteerd. Zijn club won met 3-2 van de Portland Timblers.

Romario zorgde voor de 1-1 en kort voor tijd kopte hij de winnende treffer binnen. Miami voetbalt in de United Soccer Leagues, waarin profclubs uit de Verenigde Staten, Canada en Puerto Rico spelen.

De voormalige spits van onder meer PSV, Barcelona en afgelopen seizoen Vasco da Gama in eigen land, is op weg naar de duizend doelpunten. De jongste twee brengen de score op 966, zo berekende hij zelf.

Translated it means(sorry for the spell mistakes):

Soccerplayer Romario does it again

MIAMI- Age, land, club, it seems that it doens't matter for Romario. De 40-year old Brasilian has scored the first 2 goals for his new American club FC Miami. His club beat the Portland Timblers with 3-2.

Romario scored the 1-1 en shortly before the end signal he scored the winning goal by a header. Miami plays in the United Soccer Leagues, in which profclubs play from the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.

De former striker from PSV, Barcelona and, last season, Vasco da Gama from his own country, is on it's way to score the thousand goals. The latest two goals make 966, as Romario figured it.

24. CORE_ZSUL

CORE_ZSUL New Member

Apr 18, 2006