Miami FC NASL Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by dmont, May 20, 2015.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I wonder what the future holds for Miami FC, more so than (maybe) than any NASL club, 2018 will be challenging. Some clubs will just fold or switch to USL if the NASL fails. But Miami between their location and their owners actions may have totally alienated the USL and MLS. Even more so than the Cosmos.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe they will merge forces with Beckham? He knows both Maldini and Nesta well...

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure it's a possibility, but also just as likely that MLS says no thanks. Silva has done quite a bit to burn bridges.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone will jump to NISA if NASL folds I'd think it would be Miami FC. As you say, they've burned enough bridges I don't think USL would welcome them. But Silva may just fold them short term to bolster his lawsuit against MLS/USSF.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even if he wins in FIFA court, I doubt Silva would be allowed in if MLS took it to the Supreme Court.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    They have already tried implying that (seems they have tried about everything PR wise) with someone spreading false tweets about doing that a while back.

There is nothing for Becks to gain by letting them in and thus having to split the profits with them. Nada. Would be a foolhardy move....especially with the way Silva has acted towards MLS. The owners would have to approve the ownership also, and just why the hell would they do that at this point? The PR FIFA gambit will go nowhere, and as you said, no way would MLS be forced to allow him in legally. Of course, you are knowledgeable enough to know this, it's been gone over hundreds of times....but yet you keep doing what you do.

Why?

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Doing What?

8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Brick wall.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #809 falvo, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Not sure what you mean but I didn't realize or think about Silva fighting MLS when I first posted. I know Becks knows Maldini and Nesta very well and I see no reason why he wouldn't seek their advice in the future. Maybe not now but 5 years down the road when Silva is out of the picture. I already read Italian publications where they've spoken to Beckham and I'm sure many of the same soccer people in Miami will be used sooner or later. Don't see the big deal or issue.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva has tried to take over the media rights of MLS and is now essentially crying wolf to FIFA that USSF and MLS are doing something illegal. So yes there is every reason to believe the collective owners of MLS and USL would say no to his involvement. I would.

Perfectly logical argument. But I like zoidberg's brick wall analogy better.

athletics68 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #811 falvo, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Didn't you both just post this in the Deltas thread?

Today at 12:42 PM

Today at 1:14 PM

Who is to say things can't change? Again, not now but in 5 years or whenever Becks gets his team going....

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saputo no where near the level of Silva. And Saputo has since swallowed his pride and write a huge check.

The problem remains, with possibly no NASL next year, Miami FC only survives by working something out with MLS/USL or switching to NISA.

But wait, there's already a Miami team in NISA?

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who owns the NISA Miami team?

And if you're right I suspect Silva will just use that as additional fodder in his lawsuit. That he was forced out of business by the "evil MLS/USSF cabal"

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wilt/NISA has already said that they're OK with multiple teams in the same market.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably think it'll foster some kind of rivalries... as though that'll solve the issue of market cannibalization.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes NISA and Lord High Commish Wilt has said that. Do you think Miami United wants to start a new league with intracity competition? Perhaps.

17. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh, I agree, there's a downside to this. But I don't think anyone's going to be kept out because of it. Live by independence, die by independence.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just heard on Rai (Italian TV) that if Carlo Tavecchio , the president of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) steps aside, Paolo Maldini may be considered. Wonder who then will be in charge of Miami? Isn't he their current the co-owner/president?

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Rueter‏Verified account @jeffrueter 2h2 hours ago
    Sources telling me that Miami FC met with the #USL yesterday to discuss a potential switch from the #NASL.
    The USL declined to comment.

21. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scheduling is on hold until after appeal hearing; NASL lose and they all will be coming

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t the appeal hearing already held last month?

23. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they won't ALL be coming. no way the Cosmos come, and I think PRFC just ends their fight due to hurricane recovery priorities ... JAX who knows. Highly doubt they "All come".

bnyc repped this.
  24. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The oral argument was heard in mid-December, but the court of appeals hasn't ruled yet. It's not unusual for an appellate decision to take a month (or more), and of course it has to be remembered that there have been two major holidays since the argument. But, as I've written elsewhere, the court will be aware of the time-sensitive nature of the appeal; the longer the court takes to rule, the more convinced I am that the there will be an opinion perhaps correcting some legal positions that the district court took (there are questions here about the standard for granting a preliminary injunction as to which courts differ), but affirming the result that the district court reached--meaning that I expect the NASL to lose.

25. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and San Diego will now not start until 2019, I should have said all that want to