Miami-Barcelona Expansion & Bid Discussion

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by metro1026, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone needs to chill and wait for Garber's speech during MLS Cup:D

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't think they would withdraw their bid. However, I think if Miami does get in, it will be for 2010. There is no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't start then. Seattle was announced a little over a year ago, and they start next year. Why? Because they have a already built stadium to play in. It might be a huge NFL stadium but they will have revenue control. I think MLS set the 2011 target for this round because they wanted to stick to the "SSS or bust" mantra, and 2011 would allow time for such stadiums to be built. But Miami, like Seattle, will have revenue control so there is no immediate need to build a SSS. Plus there is a chance Miami will have a MLS appropriate capacity without the use of tarps. I just don't see FIU going through with their ambitious expansion of the stadium to 45,000 by 2011, especially if MLS begins play in 2010.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah,,,,,,,,,,,

ok.....

OMG I can hardly wait on another one of Gerber's speeches.......:)

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Seriously, I don't know what your saying.
    You responded to me saying "So does that mean that if MLS says no to 2010 they are withdrawing their bid?"

Are you saying MLS will say yes to Miami?

or

Miami will withdraw if not in 2010?

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All I'm saying is (by reading this article) it really sounds like Miami will be accepted in 2010 or 2011.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thanks,
    do you think if they get in in 2010 it will be as an additional spot or in place of Philly?

If it is an additional spot, does that leave 1 or 2 spots open for 2011?

MLS really has me at a loss as to how they will procede from here.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think they will both go in although I herd Philly had some problems recently...I think sooner or later however, Philly, Montreal and Miami will be admitted to the MLS.

8. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  9. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Q: On the expansion front, after having signed a strategic partnership with Barcelona, it seems like the joint bid for a team in Miami that involved Barcelona is a slam dunk.
    A: We’ve got meetings of the expansion committee that will sit down with our board of directors at M.L.S. Cup in Los Angeles. We have had some presentations from the folks there and we’ll try to go through our analysis. I think they have taken it to the next level in Miami and it is a compelling aspect to the whole concept. I’m on my way to Miami this week to tour the stadium and meet with Marcelo Claure.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always good to hear the Don say "I think they have taken it to the next level in Miami" and to hear he is coming for a tour.

Nice :D

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are using the MLS bid as a convenient cover to suspend operations for a year(or more) and save money. They were probably gonna do it anyway, and the MLS bid made it easier to sell to the fans(even though it would be 2 years before MLS began play). Atlanta is probably only ahead of Ottawa in terms of their chances of landing one of the 2 spots, I can't imagine they seriously think ATL is such a lock that they need to fold. Tough economic times don't bode well for minor league teams in major markets, which has me quite concerned about Miami FC's future. Hopefully FCB/Claure's bid succeeds and we don't have to worry about it.

13. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Interestingly, you constantly say "I have no problem with Miami in MLS - I just do not like this plan. " ...but just about everything else you say says otherwise.

You don't like the plan, because MLS would not have prime use of the stadium. But when you are told they'd have free use of the stadium...at first you clearly do not believe it then when you realize its true you scream "tax fraud", "injunction"...or "Its a Football stadum not soccer stadium" not realizing the FIU Athletic director Pete Garcia knew the OB was being demolished leaving a void for all the international soccer matches played here- not to mention the potential MLS expansion- all equating to additional revenue for a university that otherwise would be making a stadium for 6 total games per year...Trust me, Garcia and FIU most certainly had soccer in mind when they decided to make a stadium. The rhetoric is absolutely never ending.

Its truely amazing every time something more revealing comes up about the Claure/MLS/FCB- Miami bid you persistently begin spitting vinegar.

I understand some of your points that you do not want a specific Club name associated with a US team, fine. But no-one has even made that statement.

On the other hand, you do not understand the soccer envirement in S. Florida. Sure you make the comparison with Chivas USA, which I agree with you...it was a mistake to assume all Mexicans would come in droves to see what they percieved as 1) A Minor league Chivas for true Chivas fans and 2)Wether the minor or major Chivas team....all other Mexican/non-Chivistas could care less about any Chivas team.

HOWEVER, the relationship between Barcelona and S.Florida Latins/European/ and even the native US Fans is extremely different.

First, for the Latins...had the affiliation been from a Latin American team you could see a Chivas senario, EVEN for a team like Boca Juniors. However, Latin American see Barcelona as not only an elite European team...but a team of the "MADRE PATRIA" the Motherland which actually unites all Latins in ways uncomparable to teams elsewhere. 2) It fortifies Europeans fans here because they can associate with the history of Barcelona as not simply a great Spanish team, but a great European Club. And lastly 3) any US futbol affisionado would simply be giddy at the thought of a team like FCB being associated with their local team.

Also, you completely assume FCB will be requiring MLS to place FCB on thier jersey and/or blue and red stipped uniforms when that is simply your assumption. For all that the lone affect may be as simple as be seeing a Xavi, a Theri Henry, or Leonel Messi playing for an MLS side.

FCB may just place a team in Miami, with Blue, white or yellow (FC Miami & Fusion colors) and their mere business affiliation would be HUGE along side of Marcelo Claure. NOT quite just something which "could easily apply to any of the cities" as you put it.

Lastly, I am an FIU alumnus, a football(and ex-Fusion) Season ticket holder, and have been there for every game in its short history and can tell you wherever you see "Footbal"l Stadium they could just as easily put "Futbol"...there is not a bad seat in the house. Actually, it does have all the SSS dimentions...albiet with the fans right on top of the players...sorta like Saprisa Stadium in Costa Rica (I 've also been there personally). It has a great atomosphere.

By the way....FIU's colors are blue, white and Gold( yellow) ...no need to change much...heck perhaps FC Miami/Traffic can partner in and be promoted as the TEAM. So even though you still think Miami has, no better a position , you may be absolutely right. But to the informed soccer fan, even you have to admit- even though you may have your personal problems with an FCB affiliation you would love St. Louis' bid to be in Miami's shoes .

That said ultimately it won't be about yours or my opinion as you so well stated: I no longer attempt to figure out what MLS will do. They have proven that they are not beyond biting off their nose to spite their face.
    ....the expansion teams might be neither Miami or St.Louis.:)

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

"This plan" in not just Barca. It's also playing in a football stadium owned by a university with a 5 year deal with absolutely no guarantee on what happens in 5 years. MLS has to demand concrete plans. They've been burned by this too many times.

FC Miami playing in a new SSS at the OB site - sign me up.

15. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami

Billy,

Remember, you are not the Commish, you do not know all the ins and outs of the issues; this is not the usual MLS/Expansion Bid senario.

Under certain circumstances when you are so concrete and uncomforming you actually lose bigtime. This is what we have at hand. A brand knew stadium that is actually SSS whether you want to admit it or not....IT IS.... Where MLS soccer would be the lone other tenant but for at worst 3 or 4 games!!! (The MLS season ends in early-mid Nov...FIU usually has one or two games in late Nov-early Dec.)

FREE USE...though I am sure that would not last forever...but as long as no-body is putting any limits WHY would anyone want to commit any more than they have to.

Its not like MLS would have to battle NFL, ML Baseball, concerts, as well as NCAA football for the same stadium rights. FIU had only 5 home games this year and has absolutely no other games there. They are trying to build an attraction with the community...its a win-win situation for the near future.

Honestly who would not want their own SSS, but truly would it be their OWN even if the go to an OB site. I assure you the city of Miami is going to want their share of $ for the 50 million they put up front. So quite frankly RIGHT now a Miami Bid with a Free rent SSS where a state university is the owner may just be the BEST deal for the time being. Thats not even mentioning that the student population at FIU is approaching 40,000 of which at LEAST 30% is international/or 1st generation Latin/or other ...that virtually guarantees a 8-12 local fan base within the very land the stadium resides.

Trust me if MLS does reject the Miami bid because they demanded something more CONCRETE- as you desire- it would be the most asinine move they ever made. :cool:

16. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think had FCB/Claure been seriously preparing this bid even half as long as some of the other cities such as St. Louis have, they would have had a new stadium plan from the start because they could have capitalized on that $50 mil offer from the city for a SSS at the OB next to the future Marlins park. It just so happens that FIU fell in their lap, and from day one the university has been very keen to the idea of MLS at their stadium(as far back as January, while it was still under construction, they offered it up rent free to MLS).

FIU allowed them to say "you know what let's go for this NOW" as opposed to mulling over the idea for another year and taking the chance MLS would still have room for Miami, all the while trying to gain approval for a new stadium which is never easy. I think the 5 year deal(last 2 years are an option remember) was done to give FIU the exposure and revenues they want from MLS playing there for as long as possible(half of the naming rights, parking, advertising etc.) while still giving the MLS team a relatively early out so they can build and play in their own stadium.

I wouldn't be surprised that within the first year of the franchise stadium talks seriously heat up, and they get a plan approved. FIU stadium, if they can keep it at or around 20,000 capacity, easily becomes the best shared facility in MLS if Miami gets in, so there is no rush or need to immediately drop $100 mil plus on a stadium when FIU is practically what you'd be building and it's ready to go. I do want a new stadium, no doubt about it, and if/when that happens, much like with the Marlins, it gets rid of that repressed fear in the back of our heads filed under the "relocation/fold" section once and for all. Until then FIU will be a fine home for soccer and MLS in particular.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I understand that. But I'm entitled to my opinion as to whether I think it's a good idea. Personally, I think you are in. But I think it is a mistake.

MLS has to learn from their mistakes. Permanency is the answer. I do not like the idea of an MLS team playing in stadiums that are owned by someone else.

We all know the old saying "Shit happens". Who knows what will happen in 5 years. FIU could sour on the deal in 4 1/2 years and then their left without a place to play. What do you do then?

The situations like SJ/Houston/KC where they ASSUMED the future would work out have always come back to bite them. It makes this league come across as second rate.

I'd like this thing a whole lot better if it was a 10-15 year deal.

That being said, I still think allowing foreign teams to own a team in your league is not a good idea. I've been against Chivas from day one.

Your going to get in in 2010, but that doesn't mean I have to think that it is a good idea for the league.

18. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think if the FIU deal soured and MLS got kicked out it would be as dire a situation as you believe. If the team was doing well and there was no threat of relocation/folding they could play at Dolphin Stadium(far less ideal but in an emergency), which was designed by Joe Robbie to accommodate soccer and baseball as well as football(and thank goodness he did, because as much as it sucks to go see baseball there, we wouldn't have the Marlins if not for that stadium). Another short term emergency option would be FAU's new stadium which is being built on campus in Boca Raton. That's about 20 minutes north of Lockhart, but again if necessary it could work. I honestly don't think anyone has to worry about them having a place to play though because I do think they will get a stadium built, probably before the FIU deal is up. I think their full concern is starting up the team and promoting the hell out of it(if it's awarded of course). Once they settle in at FIU a new SSS will move to the forefront of the team's agenda. I'm sure FCB would love nothing more than to "promote their brand" from a shiny new SSS that is the crown jewel of MLS and Miami.

I am just as uneasy as anyone else about a foreign club being a part of the ownership of my team, but they are trying to get us MLS so I'll take what I can get. This Miami team would have several advantages over Chivas USA, the biggest being that Marcelo Claure is a local owner who is putting forth the majority of the financial backing for the team. If it's not promoting the Barça "brand" as much as they would like and 5 years down the line FCB wants out, Claure can step in and take total control and keep the team here. And I do believe as long as they don't totally cop out and call the team "Barcelona USA", the team will do fine(and even if it is "Barcelona USA" they won't totally fail as a result). It won't turn any potential fans off(okay maybe the few hardcore La Liga fans here that aren't Barça supporters), even with a similar crest and colors.

19. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami

Billy,

Remember, you are not the commish, you do not know all the ins and outs of the issues; this is not the usual MLS/Expansion Bid senario.

Under certain circumstances when you are so concrete and uncomforming you actually lose BIGTIME. This is what we have at hand. A brand knew stadium that is actually SSS whether you want to admit it or not....IT IS.... Where MLS soccer would be the lone other tenant but for at worst 3 or 4 games!!! (The MLS season ends in early-mid Nov...FIU usually has one or two games in late Nov-early Dec.)

FREE USE...though I am sure that would not last forever...but as long as no-body is putting any limits WHY would anyone want to commit any more than they have to.

Its not like MLS would have to battle NFL, ML Baseball, concerts, as well as NCAA football for the same stadium rights. FIU had only 5 home games this year and has absolutely no other games there. They are trying to build an attraction with the community...its a win-win situation for the near future.

'Mind you in the OB site, though they'd have a SSS- they'd be sharing the Land/Parking with the Marlins which play a 162 game season simultaneous to the MLS season.

Additionally, this MLS need to OWN their own stadium may be overated considering the present deal. Honestly would it be their OWN even if the go to an OB site? I assure you the city of Miami is going to want their share of $ for the 50 million they put up front and their share of the consessions just as FIU. So quite frankly RIGHT now a Miami Bid with a Free rent SSS where a state university is the owner may just be the BEST deal for the time being. Thats not even mentioning that the student population at FIU is approaching 40,000 of which at LEAST 30% is international/or 1st generation Latin/or other ...that virtually guarantees a 8-12 thousand rowdy fan base within the very land the stadium resides.

Trust me if MLS does reject the Miami bid because they demanded something more CONCRETE- as you desire- it would be the most asinine move they ever made. :cool:

Barca, Traffic, and even Marcelo Claure indivdually would build their own house if they found it to their convienience whether that is 2011, 2013, or 2015. So to continue to insist upon a SSS at the OB site is to fail to see the bonafide commitment to the sport, not to mention the monetary and the administrative magnitude of all the parties involved with this bid.

20. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    As I stated above your concept of owning your own stadium, misses the point.

You are not going to get a much better deal than this even when "owning" your own stadium. The key issues here are the free rent and no competition. In owning their own they would not truly be owning the stadium any more than they'd be at FIU. The City would demand a share for the revenue from parking, conssessions and the team would share the land with the persistently utilized Baseball team playing 80 home games at the same time the MLS team would be playing ...not exactly your "OWN". Trust me, the City woudl demand their fair share for the 50 million.

The real benefit of going to a Baseball/Soccer OB site would be if they could somehow make the retractabe roof duel use...for the soccer facility as well for those difficult hot or rainy days....but by then FCB/Claure/Traffic would probably want to invest that money on a SSS at FIU or elsewhere than to move to area were they'd be second fiddle within muliti-sportsfacility.

21. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does anyone think the MLS will screw this up? I do one way or the other. MLS will either screw it by not getting the deal done or they will agree to name this team FC Barcelona Miami, FCB-USA or some other dumb moniker.

22. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see them "screwing it up". If they pass on Miami, it will hurt, and you can make a strong argument that they are missing out on a huge chance for success. However passing on Miami means they would be going with one more out of St. Louis, Portland, Vancouver or Montréal(sorry ATL and Ottawa I don't see it happening this round), so you can't fault them there. I also don't see them allowing the team to be named "Barcelona USA" or something to that effect. Chivas USA has had pretty decent fan support but the name makes people laugh at them. CUSA is a joke and a smudge on the record of MLS and I don't see MLS walking into that again, and to be honest, I don't see FCB walking into that. They want to be the trend setter for other big European clubs, and if they do a classy(and successful) job with this Miami team they will achieve that. If they name this team >insert lame "Barça" name here< they will only look bad, and it won't bring the kind of publicity they want. If they really want to push it, FCB Miami is the absolute max level of "Barça" they can get away with in the name.

23. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to happen. MLS will not turn down Miami.

24. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal dropping their expansion bid.

25. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007