Miami-Barcelona Expansion & Bid Discussion Part 2

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Did you read the early articles?

Claure thought it was a big deal.
    Back in mid-November, he was predicting 5,000 season ticket sign ups within 10 days and saying things like "we believe the community is fully behind this initiative and will come out to support it."

By the end of Nov he was saying:
    "No, Miami is not a city where people support the team whether they are in first place or last, but if you put a good show on, people in Miami will come." "Miami people are very picky, but if there's a first-class product, they'll pay."

2. blackedoutfriction

Jan 10, 2009
    Portland
    I don't think this is a surprise to anyone that follows sports at all. People in Miami just don't attend sporting events. The Dolphins have to be good for people to show, the Marlins had tons of empty seats during the NL Pennant, the only reason people went to Heat games was Shaq. It's just not a good sports town. It's too hot to just go sit around outside for 3 hours when there is AC inside and if they are outside they're going to be outside doing something in the water.

3. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please direct to me an exact quote in the articles that shows Claure/Barca are rethinking their bid due to low interest in season ticket sign ups. I must have missed that part.

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it was Claure who had a whole article about his concern with the bid in Miami..look at Montreal they were pushed back, but they will have a game were 51K fans will show up. I think the Miami bid was too fast too soon, Miami has to do it right or bust. Now Miami FC is starting their season in a month, bring up the attendance to 5,000 and then go for a MLS bid. I don't want to hear that USL has no correlation with attendance to MLS, well it's 2009 it's about time soccer cities represent their team with no excuses

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard that either: but this a article about Claure saying nothing is final:

Claure Calls for Cautious Optimism

Amidst the heated race for the two open spots in the next MLS expansion, Marcelo Claure calls for Miami soccer fans to be cautious. While Miami is seen by many as a frontrunner for the two open spots in the next MLS expansion, delays and growing worries from the MLS forced Claure to call a meeting with Miami soccer community leaders. Chief sponsors and local legends like Ray Hudson showed up to this meeting where Claure outlined the challenges Miami faces and drew from the collective pool of knowledge on how to face these challenges.

The thirty people invited to the meeting all described Claure as extremely confident but aware of the fact that nothing is final. Ray Hudson described the presentation as " positive throughout, but Claure gave no signs that this would be a foregone conclusion in terms of getting a team". The suggestion from leaders in the Miami Soccer community that gained momentum was holding a public event to boost support for Miami's bid and bringing over star-players from Barcelona (like Messi, Henry or Ranaldinho) to boost attendance and media attention.

6. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From FC Barcelona's website: Oh yea it's official:

Major League Soccer

FC Barcelona quest to have a presence in the Major League Soccer (MLS) with a new franchise is “very delicate and we are evaluating if the situation allows for the model planned to implemented in Miami or not,” said Oliver. The corporate director general stated that the club could always bid to enter the MLS when “there was not financial risk to the club.”
    http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/engli...220107160.html

8. blackedoutfriction

Jan 10, 2009
    Portland
    What happens when only a few hundred people show up instead of 40,000?

Seriously though. What will they do? Have Barca come over to play a friendly against some other MLS club in Dolphin Stadium and they tell the Barca players to make it look close so all the foreigners in Miami will see that the MLS is just as good as Serie A?

Look, their USL squad only draws 1700 a game. They're the worst draw in the USL. Nothing is going to change the fact that Miami just isn't a sports town let alone a soccer town.

9. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, as a Timbers fan, you're able to be completely objective right? :)

10. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely could be the case. If the economy in the U.S. is truly 100% the issue, then what are Barca "negotiating" about? And if Barca are not investing money into the team, only personnel and expertise, then what is this "financial risk" they are talking about?

It sounds like there's cold feet from some or all of Barca, Claure and MLS HQ - the economy talk is pure spin and not hard to see through.

11. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Exactly. It also is very suspicious that they are releasing this statement now, when Garber is in Barcelona, taking into account that the economic crisis has been apparent for some time now. It doesn't make sense that they were suddenly, in the last week, blindsided by the economic crisis. This is most certainly a part of the negotiation.

Garber wants this to happen and it is now up to Barcelona and Claure to make it happen. They will close the deal.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    First, I was offering opinion, not quotes from an article.
    Second, I was referring to the "season ticket" articles not today's articles.

you had said:
    And I simply pointed out that in early November, Claure thought season tickets were important and that they would sell well in Miami. He was hoping for 5000 in 10 days - quite ambitious for any city - especially Miami.

In less than a month, he started backtracking from that and basically said that Miami fans are fickle and will not support a team in last place.

NOW, this article states:
    "We are evaluating if the situation allows for the model planned to be implemented in Miami or not."

That quote raises the question: What could cause Barca to question whether the plan can be implemented IN MIAMI?

So, based upon the articles, both past and present, I was offering one scenario under which Barca may be reconsidering whether this plan can be "implemented in Miami or not."

I was simply saying that poor season ticket sales could be one of the reasons they were now questioning the Miami plan.

13. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Well, the season ticket sales would one of the last possible causes for whether this plan can be implemented in Miami (in this situation). Claure's comments about the possible disappointing season ticket situation were a long time ago and the ticket reservations have been up for some time now. Meanwhile, Barcelona had not made such a comment, on the contrary, they released statements showing their willingness to get the team. I really don't see how that has much bearing on this statements.

14. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, exactly. It sounds like somewhere along the line Barca may have been asked to put a little more than just their name and prestige on the line, and now are saying wait a minute. Otherwise, I'm not sure what financial risks they are so concerned about? Claure is supposed to be footing the entire $40m fee, and the stadium is pretty close to rent free. Are Barca being asked to pay player, coach, staff, etc salaries? Are they being asked to pay a huge salary for a DP player? Who knows, but something other than just "the economy blows ass" is afoot. I hope Claure comes out with his own press release soon.

15. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This appeared in today's Broward edition of the Herald (Saturday) on the sports front beneath the fold. Guess it is now official.

IMvhO, this is not necessarily the kiss of death, but it sure isn't the best news I've heard about MiamiMLS. I have the feeling that after the Marlins stadium fiasco Barca is beginning to get a taste of the politics involved in trying to get anything done in the Magic City, especially as it pertains to sports. That, and the possibility that they may now have to ante up some $$$ to get this team on the field. Althought Barca's name and rep may add glitter to the bid, I'd still feel better if it was a local effort involving Claure & a few other local jillionaires to finance and found the team with a commitment to Miami & the rest of South Florida, and not be doing it to spread someone else's "brand" onto foreign turf.

As I've mentioned a few times - this is a done deal when MLS says it's a done deal, not one second before. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a fool. Simple assertions from some unknown source won't do. I've had my heart broken too many times by local pro sports teams - especially soccer - to beleive something that is not official. And then just barely.

As ever, we'll see what we'll see when MLS & others let us see it. Now, more than ever, we might not like what they show us.

Awaiting the inevitable announcement, whenever it is done, whatever it says.

16. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  19. fcb1

fcb1 New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It ain't over, until it's over. And even then, Schwarzenegger says: I'LL BE BACK! It ain't over until fat lady sings, and I have radio turned on in my room, and I hear no fat ladies, just some anorexic voices.

Still, big question is would Claure go on his own without FCB or not. Claure has it all, and doesn't need no help. He's got the money, the passion and the knowledge (he's in the business, he owns a club in Bolivia). They say about Barcelona that we are Messi-dependant, the best in the world with him, but useless without him. It ain't true, btw. If Barca really bails out, which there is still a high possibility it won't, let's see if Claure is Barca-dependant.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't Claure team up with Miami FC and Traffic Sports?

21. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually what we need is bigger partnership like they got in Seatle (NFL Owner + USL owner + big corporate owner + drew carey + whoever else) We need to reach out to Traffic and to owners in other leagues AND keep Barça. That would make our bid a lock.

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need Dwyane Wade.

23. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dwyane Wade would put us over the top, but I dont see him as the soccer type.

24. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, if im not mistaken, wasn't somebody on this blog reporting he had a soccer jersey in his locker, when he was being interviewed? I believe it was a Chelsea, or Tottenham jersey??

25. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then I might very well be mistaken, but if thats true, that makes me like Wade ever more then I do now.:)