Mia hamm or Wambach(who's better)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ttmmkk001, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ttmmkk001

ttmmkk001 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 29, 2004
    i think Wambach is a better player. She's got almost everything as a soccer player (size, passing skill, finishing skill, speed, and very good in the air ).
    On the second goal against China, She could score her own in a very good position(1 on 1 with the keeper), instead, she passed to Mia in a bit better position. I think most strikers would score their own on that kind of chances.

2. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    It doesn't matter who's better.

If you asked Mia she would tell you Abby was better. If you asked Abby she would tell you Mia was better.

They do their jobs. That's what matters.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    For what it's worth, I get the impression Abby is the one who could play in an A-League match and not look out of place.

4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    They are both incredible players, and so different that its pretty pointless to compare them. We had this argument a while back, comparing Ms. Akers and Mia.....and that was also useless. Mia is the best to ever play the game (along with Mich) and by the time Abby retires, she will likely be up there too. She won't have the impact on the game that Mia did, but that doesn't mean she isn't better. Its apples and oranges.

If you want a better argument, try comparing Abby and CP.

5. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

Geeee Everyone gets a gooold! star WOW!!!!!! Jesus!!! Grow some tits and give credit where credit is due!!! Mia is better the better player period!

6. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    At least CP doesn't whine and cry on every call that goes against her.

7. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    That's right, be a WOMAN!!!

8. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK YOU!!!!!!

And that is coming from one of the biggest Abby fans out there, but there was a time when She just poped up off the ground!

9. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Mia is far and away the better player. Even now.

10. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    She knew she couldn't scored that's why she passed it to Mia.

Yeah you right, as big as she is she should be better than Mia but she is not!

11. MUfan

MUfan Red Card

Aug 2, 2004

14 goals in the last 15 games. Does it look like she can't score?
    Mia has been a great player. But for now, if i have to put only one in starting line up, i would put Abby.

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is a team game. Ask Akers, Heinrich, Jennings (Gabarra), Lilly, Biefeld (Fawcett), Foudy, etc.

Who served the ball to Wombat for the third goal?

Who passed the ball to Wombat to put her in a position to force the CK that led to the third goal? (Hint: Not Hamm.)

Who made the run dragging three defenders with her to free (offside) Wombat for the run to set up the second goal?

I thought Abby played a fine game yesterday. She has not shown the same desire to play a full 90 minutes in many matches. Abby also has a tendency to spend too much time on the pitch whining to the referee. She should simply get up, get the ball, and score. End of discussion.

In 5-10 years I'd be happy to discuss the relative merits of Hamm and Wombat, if Wombat is still playing. Two or three years ago folks were saying that we had to have Parslow up front because Hamm was washed up. Now all CP can do is take opponents out of the game with red-card-deserving tackles. :(

Team Game. Period.

13. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

It was a 50/50 chance for Abby to score because the goalie was right infront of her but, was a better chance for Mia Hamm...

14. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    You left out Higgins (Cirovski).

I agree with you on the need to wait because durability, being great year after year, is a requirement of legendary status. The Wombat has the potential to have it but has not achieved it yet.

I will say this, though. The Wombat is more fun to watch. She more frequently pulls off the play that leaves fans dazzled.

15. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mia is hands down a better all around player. She is a clinical finisher, great passer/vision, deadly on set pieces, experianced, leader...etc. She changes the outcome and flow of the game the moment she steps on the field.

Now I would say Abby is exceptional at getting into scoring position and heading/finishing. She is very hard for devences to mark because o fhe size and stregnth. She will never have the complete package Mia has. However after Mia retires post-olympics Abby looks to be the one who will pick up the torch and lead the national team into the next several years.

16. megsoc

megsoc Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Arizona
    I agree. Mia is the better player but how much longer has she been playing soccer than Abby? Abby has yet to reach her peak and will be fun to watch for years to come. That being said....NOBODY can find the back of the net better than Mia, from any angle. She knows exactly where the far upper corner is without even looking! And the way she fakes out 1, 2, even 3 defenders with her footwork. Mama Mia!!! (pun intended) :D

17. j&bontherock

Michael Jordan retired when there're players (better than him) who are ready to replace him but, it's not the case with Mia Hamm.

18. j&bontherock

I'm starting to think that soccer is bad for women....

19. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to think that you don't have a freakin' clue about anything to do with soccer or women.

Please edit your profile to allow moderators to send you PMs. We need to talk.

20. j&bontherock

I wasn't really interrested in women soccer until the match between US-Denmark, the opening game of the '99 WC at the giant stadium (thanks to USWNT),.. but i was born with a soccer ball in my hand.

21. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a foot in your mouth

That explains a lot. The rest of us kick a soccer ball. ;)

22. j&bontherock

Re: And a foot in your mouth

you do ? ..let me ask you this, how many players in a team ? if you can answer this, ...than i believe you do play soccer.

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: And a foot in your mouth

Enable moderator PMs so that we may continue this conversation w/o distracting the others from their regular dose of April bashing.