Mexico vs Croatia | Los Angeles Cali- May 27th, 2017

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 1, 2017.

1. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Monterrey
    Mexico
    Jul 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What do you think of the LWB, RWB, LB, RB etc problem? Who else is quality besides Raul Lopez & Layun ?

2. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Mexico doesn't produce players whose primary attributes are purely defensive. This is nothing new. Even Ricardo Osorio and Salvador Carmona, the 2 RBs Mexico has produced in the past 20 years were guys who were comfortable in the attacking third and were defenders second. More Osorio than Carmona but I think the point still stands.

Our international caliber defenders are more known for their passing range and anticipation skills than for pure defending ability.

I think these kinds of conversations can only be productive if people are aware of the style of play Mexico produces and most importantly, the kind of players we produce.

Being aware of the above does not mean we settle for the status quo, it simply means we are aware of what we historically produce and it makes it easier to spot the areas that need to be highlighted for development. This is one area where Osorio has been constantly ridiculed and it makes no sense to me. Designing a squad that can minimize the opponent's strengths while allowing your own team to exploit their own is somehow a bad thing. It's turned into a meme and it has been playing out in these forums the entire time.

Raul Lopez is an exceptional player in my eyes. Not sure he will fare in the future as a RB for Mexico since he lacks the instincts to ply there at the highest levels but if Chapo Sanchez can develop a modicum of those defensive instincts, I don't see why Raul couldn't do the same. And no, as good as Sanchez has been for Chivas this season, and he has been VERY good under Almeyda, I still don't think he's NT quality.

I'm in agreement with Osorio. I would lean towards playing CBs out of position on the flanks like Moreno or Salcedo than bring someone in who may not have the wheels to keep up with players with pace. If need be, Pizarro could play as a RB in a pinch although it might be a waste of his potential. Still, I'm not sure Pizarro can excel as a winger for Mexico and his future seems closer to Orbelin in the center of the field.

DankYummy and AMLO2018 repped this.