Mexico Awarded World Cup Seed

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Various Styles, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Mexico is finally recognized as a top team :cool:

2. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
  3. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    cool, now to see what happens friday.

4. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Felicitaciones ... merecido reconocimiento a los ultimos anhos de progreso y mantenerse a alto nivel.

Vip

5. Danck989

Danck989 Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Canada
    This is great,ahora solo queda ratificar el por que de esta desicion de fifa y tratar de quedar en lo mas alto posible en este mundial,felicidades Mexico.

6. arcturus rex

arcturus rex BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 10, 2005
    Spazzos are already **********ting their panties in US forums. Now they'll become even more obsessed with Mexico. :D

7. ChivaCongelado

ChivaCongelado El Campeonísimo

Oct 25, 2004
    Brussels, Belgium
    Now let's hope that it doesn't go up their heads or we'll have another Aguilazo .

If the team uses this to their advantage, they could very well reach semis without much trouble... but as said, they gotta use the opportunity they were given.

8. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Not true. If you read the forums, we expected this.

We do not need FIFA to tell us who the best team is in CONCACAF, we prove it on the field.

9. oslomocx2

oslomocx2 New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Que te importa?
    Well that would be true for some people in regards to expecting this decision, but other like B. Arena think otherwise, spazzos, and yes the US already knows that Mexico is still better than them, but oh well. Envy some?

10. arcturus rex

Sep 10, 2005

Don't take my word for it; go read their comments...even the title of the thread "US got screwed" implies that they once again think they deserve Mexico's place.

11. Danck989

Danck989 Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Canada
    Trolls get over it,you've done nothing at international level,you had a good 02 and that's about it..theres lots of milage to go through to be at Mexico's international level.

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well that was to be expected.

13. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Congrats on the seed. Well deserved. Represent concacaf well like you've been doing in the last 3 world cups.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What the pots look like.

Pool One: Germany (hosts), Brazil (champions), Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, England

Pool Two: Australia, Angola, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Togo, Tunisia, Ecuador, Paraguay

Pool Three: Croatia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine

Pool Four: Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, United States

Special pot: Serbia & Montenegro

Since Mexico can't draw one of the CONCACAF teams it looks like they will have an Asian team in their group.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Read a little more on what Arena says about seeding; it's not necessarily a blessing. He also "made a case" for the US being seeded ahead of Mexico, given the head-to-head results over the last 6 years and the fact that the US won the qualifying round. But his general attitude is "whatever".

Regarding posters having a heart attack that MexicoMexicoMEXICO :eek: got a seed over the US, dude, welcome to BS. The general sentiment is that this is no surprise, but of course, the ones who post and post and post and post and post... are the ones who are "shocked". And that makes everybody else just say screw it and hand the asylum to the idiots.

Now... Mexico:

I totally agree. If handled properly, this could be a good thing in that it makes the road conceivably a little easier. But it could easily backfire and give a sense of overconfidence, which would be detrimental to the team. It also makes them even more of a target, especially if they get paired w/ a team that feels like they got slighted (Holland).

Where I think it could really "backfire" is post '06. Say Mexico does really well (definitely a possibility as the team has an abundance of mid-20 year old players and quality veterans, the ideal combo for WC) and loses to the eventual champ in the quarterfinals or semifinals, oh my GAWD I fear the press in any subsequent WC qualifying campaign. They're already too friggin' obsessed as it is. The overconfidence from the press is what would sabotage the national team... again.

Cheers!

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    First- congratulations on Mexico getting a seed. (I would have started a thread here if one hadn't been started already.) You deserve it from your fine work the past several years.

Second- Mexico didn't get a seed because they are better than the US. And the US didn't deserve a seed because they won the Hex. (I think Mexico came in second.) It seems to me that the "spazzos" as you put it on both sides are so concerned about each other that they lose sight of the big picture. I guess that's to be expected in any rivalry.

Finally, here are my ideas of a best case and worst case scenario of possible groups Mexico could get:

Best case :)
    Mexico
    Angola/Ecuador
    Switzerland
    Iran/Japan

Worst case :eek:
    Mexico
    Paraguay/Ghana/Ivory Coast
    Holland
    Serbia

(BTW I did a mock draw and it came out that Mexico would probably meet the US in round 2 again.)

Good luck! Win your group and advance- I want Europe to know that there's at least one CONCACAF team that can kick their butts on their home soil whenever they feel like it.

17. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Better how? Not in head to head. During the past 5 years the US record against Mexico is something like 14 wins 3 draws and 2 losses. Mexico can't beat the US outside Mexico. Better world cup performance? No, that doesn't work either. Mexico has never advanced past the 2nd round outside Mexico.

18. arcturus rex

Sep 10, 2005

Oh look everybody: a spazzo!!!!! and he's green all over!!!!

19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    One of the reasons that Mexico got a seed and the US didn't was that they didn't come in dead last at the 98 world cup.

20. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I, as pretty die hard USMNT supporter, do not think that the US deserves Mexico's seed. Mexico played beautiful soccer at the Confed. Cup and justified their high FIFA ranking by playing against quality competition away from home. They have also performed admirably at the last two world cups, so according to the FIFA system the seed for El Tri was deserved.

Now, do I think that the US is the best team in CONCACAF? Absolutely. That being based on, well, the last 10 years of CONCACAF competition and a healthy dose of bias.

That being said, I hope that Mexico does well for the sake of the region, and I hope that we meet again in the knockout stage.

21. oslomocx2

oslomocx2 New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Que te importa?
    Well, this is sensible. In regard to Arena, I read it and for the sake of someone else I read it again, yet same thing. It is nonchanlant and what not, but he is not like "whatever." Yet oh, well.

22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thing is Oslo if it had been Lavolpe who had said those things about the US it would of caused a huge deal on the US boards. I bet they would have 10 threads on how Lavolpe was dissing the USMNT.

23. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
  24. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    well not only could it be Mexico or Argentina but Brazil as well.
    And um, everybody kinda knows that. That's not news.