Mexico: America’s World Cup Hope [MLS Media]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Jun 10, 2018.

1. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to see something that really boils your blood, check out this catastrophe:

Needless to say I’m disappointed with this kind of content from out domestic league’s media creators, but I’m not entirely surprised. They will try and profit off any country that has players connected to the league.

But insinuating Mexico is MLS and America’s team is low blow and feels like it’s kicking USMNT fans when we are down.

CTS26, adi21, Master O and 4 others repped this.
  2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what you get when you don’t qualify. Media execs are shitting their pants over what they paid FIFA for the rights to these games on the assumption that casual fans would tune in to watch the USA.

3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty gross. You'd never see "Brazil: Argentina's World Cup hope" if they failed to qualify. I get it's about the numbers, but c'mon guys. Besides, those folks are watching Telemundo anyway.

jnielsen, CTS26, sakibomb523 and 11 others repped this.
  4. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Embarrassing but not unexpected.

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico NT is extremely popular in the U.S. I think a domestic league that ignores this wouldn't be entirely truthful about the culture of soccer in the U.S.

WrmBrnr, mschofield and CMeszt repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. I get that. I just think it could be presented a bit more tactfully and not turn off die-hard USMNT-only fans at the same time.

CTS26, GiallorossiYank, adi21 and 2 others repped this.
  7. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is NOT and will NEVER be America's team. Period. And to advertise such in any manner is a slap in the face.

They are Mexico's team. Put the shoe on the other foot. Can you ever see them advertise the US as Mexico's team??????????

jnielsen, CTS26, John McGuirk and 7 others repped this.
  8. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but framing them as some sort of savior? It sort of grinds my gears.

CTS26, WrmBrnr, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the video isn't really about that but people aren't going to spend 18 minutes to figure out it was only a clickbait title.

CMeszt repped this.
  10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Can’t wait until Germany buries them.

11. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If US soccer nation embraced El Tri, it would virtually guarantee Mexico doesn't make it out of its group.

mschofield repped this.
  12. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Absolutely absurd. The Quislings who produced this should be ashamed.

And again - thanks to all involved for our failure to qualify! Soccer house, coaches Klinsmann and Arena, and of course our heroes who fought gamely down in Trinidad - great job everyone!

Patrick167 and sXeWesley repped this.
  13. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    If that happened it might very well start a riot/revolution. Not being facetious even slightly.

adi21 repped this.
  14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it Luis Hernandez who hit Lalas in the balls?

I kept trying to find the video and post it in Alexi's Twitter but couldn't...

16. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #16 STR1, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    LMAOL

Bunch of succers! They have to make up the money the USMNT is about to make them lose. For those cheering for Mexico, regardless if these bozos tell you to do it, will be watching the Spanish broadcast.

Instead of falling so low by doing this they should put a lot of pressure on MLS/USSF for not qualifying. Cut funds, cancel contracts...something to make them pay back. I know if Mexico would not have qualified this past 2014 WC, heads were going to roll for all the money lost. Televisa and TV azteca would have come hard on FMF.....and here... mmmmm "join me to support Mexico" LMAOL

17. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    They really don't get it: the vast majority of people watching the World Cup in the U.S. will fall into 1 of 4 categories:

*Mexican-American's Watching Mexico

*Casual viewers looking to follow the favorite or the underdog during the dog days of summer.

*Ex-Pats following their home country

*USMNT fans who love the game and hate the Mexican National Team.

The audience interested in supporting Mexico already exists and is watching almost entirely on Spanish Language television. Fox isn't going to draw viewers with this nonsense. It's beyond idiotic, as it will alienate both USMNT fans, and the casual fans they may be trying to draw in.

There's a simple way to draw in fans. Show Messi, show Ronaldo, show Neymar, and show feel good stories that might emerge like Iceland and other potential underdog stories like Senegal. Fans will be open to the idea of watching greatness, and watching underdogs make their run a la the NCAA Tournament. Play that marketing game.

Try a bait and switch with the Mexican National Team and you're more likely to actually get even lower ratings than if you'd done no marketing at all. It's just stunningly foolish. Whenever you think guys running networks might have found a clue they do something like this and remind you why all the prime time channel's are getting lapped by upstarts at Amazon and Netflix: because they're run by tired old incompetent, talentless, hacks who schmoozed their way to the top w/o ever having an actual grain of natural or developed and accrued talent themselves. Idiots.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Someone needs to send this post to whoever is in charge of Fox. This man gets it!

19. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 Burr, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    They do have ads highlighting the other teams which are nice. And I don't mind the ads pimping Mexico that may target Mexican Americans who maybe don't speak a lick of Spanish. But that Lalas thing is sad. At least there's a #sponsored hashtag making it seem coerced, lol.

I will be watching the World Cup on Telemundo anyway, since the production value will be better. That and getting to hear Andres Cantor call the Argentina games for the first time in ages will be awesome.

20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some of the comments on that tweet are hilarious. Even some Tri supporters say it's fugged up.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    MLS doesn't equal the USSF or the USMNT.
    As we know, MLS would love to attract more Mexican-American eyeballs to their games.

This doesn't really bother me. Its just business.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Group one is the largest group of soccer viewership in the US. If Fox can pull a decent percentage of that from SL broadcasts, that's a plus for them.
    Group two will be into the story. The story at the top of this thread is quite interesting and well done. It's the story of immigrants searching for a bit of what they left behind (or in second generation, know only through tales) in a new place. That's actually an intensely US story, and could attract a large-ish audience.
    Group three will be dedicated to their nation, but there's a lot of time between games and a lot of group three will be looking for someone else to follow. Sharing an immigrant experience with Mexico makes this a potentially large audience.
    Group four will probably watch Mexico play, if only in the hope of seeing them lose.
    Mexico will attract the biggest following among US viewers this summer, it's pretty much a lock.

brjohnson repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, the diehard US supporters will only watch the US play this summer, anyway.
    This story, that tweet, are not the insults to US soccer. The story is actually quite good. The tweet is a tweet.
    I would think that the insult to diehard US MNT supporters might instead be a disjointed underperforming qualification run.

brjohnson repped this.
  24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And there is another group that wasn't mentioned... a lot of people watch the WC regardless of who is playing. You don't have to identify with anyone to watch a good game, assuming you are a real soccer fan that appreciates the game. I am Mexican American and I don't even root for Mexico but I am watching their game vs Germany. Not because I want them to lose or win or tie or because Alexi Lalas told me to do so or whatever but because that game, IMO, will be one of the most exciting matches in the group stage. Same thing goes for Spain vs Portugal, I could careless who wins, I just want to see probably the best game, at least on paper, in the group stage. Watching only the WC while your nation is still in it, or watch it only because you want to see a certain team lose, or because you "identity"with whomever, makes you miss out on the greatest event in the world.

smokarz, Burr, mschofield and 1 other person repped this.
  25. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there is a internal kerfuffle beyond the wall of reasoning you put up!

bsky22 repped this.