News: Mexican teams QUIT copa libertadores 2009

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by EstebanLugo, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is a serious issue and it deserves its own thread.

http://www.futbolred.com/libertador...etiraron-de-la-copa-libertadores-2009/5167087

I'm not part of the anti-mexican crew on the SA boards so I'm not happy. Moreover, it is wrong by the Conmebol to push them to do it. They could have played in the US or in several other places. Heck they even restarted their league so the health situation has improved. Conmebol lacked rationality.

2. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Looks Like Conmebol lied to the Mexican Federation

Mexican Fed pissed says they are gone from Libertadores, Sudamericana, and Copa America

http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/mexico/noticias/2009/05/08/rompimiento-total-de-fmf-con-conmebol

http://www.record.com.mx/futbol/en-directo-rueda-de-prensa-de-la-fmf.html

And he talked about Conmebol in fighting

"Nos tardamos en bajar porque me entró una llamada de Don Julio Grondona y donde me ruega que mantengamos esa puerta abierta del primer comunicado", agregó Compeán. Además, comentó Justino que Grondona le dijo que no está de acuerdo con el segundo comunicado que es responsabilidad de Leoz, seguramente coludido con la Federación Brasileña.

edit - I just on the Jorge Ramos show that the Mexican Fed and Conmebol had agreed that Chivas and San Luis would be invited for the next Libertadores if they dropped out and Mexico would keep their other 3 spots.

So the Mexican fed made the decision to leave this year.

But when Leoz had his conference an hour later he mentions none of that and said that the Mexican clubs had to play a one off in Sao Paulo and Montevideo.

Mexican fed says they had already informed Concacaf and Fifa about the decision and were surprised about how Conmebol changed all of a sudden.

Looks like Leoz took it up the ass from Teixera and Grondona is pissed that he wasn't informed and losing the $.

No wonder Latin America is good at novelas.

3. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

How does will this effect conmebol now?

4. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They weren't pushed they were given an option, they didn't like it, well good bye.

I don't think CONMEBOL would've been so cautious with other countries.

6. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thats the thing

They were given the option to leave this year and Chivas and San Luis would be back next year. And they took it

But an hour after the Mexican federation announced that

Leoz had a press conference saying that San Luis and Chivas would play a one off game in Montevideo and Sao Paulo respectively.

That was not planned or talked about.

They were lied to

The Mexican Federation got mad and announced like 3 hours ago that they were out of Libertadores, Sudamericana, and Copa America.

Grondona called the Mexican Fed President in mid announcement and was telling him that Teixera went behind his back.

es una pinche novela. :p

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, as usual brazilians shows that they know how wear their pants, Grondona doesn't clearly, but that's to be expected from him.

8. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Andres that 'option' is unfair you know that's true. If Mexican league games can be played in Mexico, then so can Libertadores games. This is ridiculous.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I wonder if the USSF and MLS will jump on this news i.e. Superliga. They'd be more welcome to play in the States. In terms of the money issue, where would the MFL clubs serve better in, Superliga or Libertadores?

10. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've not even mad about not playing in Mexico.

Cada quien con sus miedos.

Its saying that they can't play in artifical field in Costa Rica. When Peruvian teams have played on them

Two Years ago America v Sporting Cristal look at the field

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98lLN5YKPk"]YouTube - Goles del Sporting Cristal 2-1 América de México[/ame]

Saying they can't play in the states because of Visas. It takes 5 days for crying out loud they have had a week.

I just saw on Fox that Venezuelan teams would take them for their home game and that was rejected

come on

11. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, if Mexico definitely decides to get away from CONMEBOL i'd guess they may sit down and listen, also this may be good news for CONCACAF.

And i don't know if it was that unfair, there wasn't much else to be done, also they should remember if anything that they're invitees. Also i don't remember reading anywhere that CONMEBOL had to discuss any sollution with FMF(However if anyone could help with a link saying otherwise it would be good, to clear that).

12. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Since the federations of Colombia and Chile wanted to host the Mexican teams but their governments said no, I guess the rest of the federations in SA didn't want to go trough the same problem with their govts. But still, I ask again: ¿What about the USA? Miami would have been a perfect place for these matches. Why no one bothered with that option?

13. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    All I know is that the Superliga just got themselves at least one more year

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guess is the problem is an epidemy in Mexico it doesn't make much sense to move it to Miami, to play in Miami they would've rather stood in Mexico.

15. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No No No to Miami. You want to go where your target "markets" are i.e. Texas, Califas, Chicago, etc. And even then, if a match isn't in one of those cities, supporters of MFL teams travel well in the U.S.

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    According to what has been said in here there were more cases of swine flu in Texas than in Jalisco, also if there've been deaths for such in Canada even i don't think Chicago would've made much difference as for safety, again they would've had rather played in Mexico.

17. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In the bottom line... money... Mexican teams not being in the CONMEBOL tourneys mean that the Mexican sponsors (and their $$$) won't be present in the tourneys too...

Libertadores was dying financially before getting a shot in the arm from the Mexican teams

18. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Let me tell you.
    After seeing the press conference, and I'm inclined to believe what the mexicans said(because I know what "sh1t and maffia" the Conmebol is), I have a newfound respect for the Femexfut. And I'm no mexican fan, believe me...

19. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  20. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What surprises me the most is that Conmebol would go against their own pockets instead of just getting Nacional and Sao Paulo in line. Not precisely a smart move in my book. Believe me, if this was say, a Colombian and a Peruvian team, they would have to get their asses on those planes to Mexico whether they like it or not.

21. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
  22. tnylnc

tnylnc New Member

May 7, 2008
    Does anyone know what Jorge Vergara's take on this is ? He always cracks me up no matter what he kinda reminds me of tonya harding at the olympics.

23. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    [​IMG]

Comunicado de Prensa

8 de mayo de 2009

Guadalajara, Jalisco a 08 de Mayo de 2009.

El Club Deportivo Guadalajara S.A. de C.V. en apoyo a la decisión de la Federación Mexicana de Fútbol, hace de su conocimiento que al no respetarse el Reglamento de Competencia que rige la Copa Libertadores 2009, se retira de la justa sudamericana, y no disputará los partidos de Octavos de Final, viendo con tristeza la ausencia de solidaridad y de un verdadero Fair Play para determinar deportivamente al ganador de la serie.

México y nuestro Club siempre se han distinguido por ese espíritu de hermandad y lealtad a los principios deportivos, por ello, nos llena de pesar conocer las propuestas emitidas por la Conmebol, de realizar sólo un encuentro en la sede del equipo brasileño para determinar al ganador del pase a los Cuartos de Final, lo cual el Club Deportivo Guadalajara S.A. de C.V. y la Federación Mexicana de Fútbol rechazan categóricamente.

A nuestros aficionados y a todos los mexicanos les agradecemos las muestras permanentes de apoyo irrestricto, lamentando no seguir ofreciéndoles satisfacciones en esta justa continental.

Y les reiteramos que Chivas siempre buscará ganar compitiendo en la cancha, no fuera de ella.

Atentamente

Club Deportivo Guadalajara S.A. de C.V.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a real sad situation. I think having the Mexican teams is good for the competition. But I am appalled by the response of the clubs.

First and foremost, this is a health situation. The situation in Mexico is still not normal, they are still talking about playing games without public, and even if they allow them in, they have to be separated, they have to wear masks, it's still risky, apparently. So, I don't blame the clubs for choosing not to play there.

But surely they could have found another solution. I blame all four clubs involved for the impasse that led to the Mexican clubs quitting. Teams don't have any pride anymore, it's shameful.

It used to be different in South America. I remember in the old days, when the Euros were afraid of going to South America to play the intercontinental cup.

One year, the Ajax of Cryuff, champions of Europe, didn't want to play Independiente. Independiente said, "We'll play you anytime, anywhere". Ajax wimped out. So Independiente called the runner up in Europe, Juventus. They also had a great team, with all time great stars like Zoff, Gentile, Bettega, Altafini, among others. Juventus didn't want to come to Argentina either. Again, Independiente said, "We'll play you anytime, anywhere".

Juventus finally agreed to play just one match, in Italy, and Independiente accepted every condition that UEFA put, just to get an opportunity to have a sporting chance on the field. And guess what? Independiente went to Europe, played them, beat them, and came back with the Intercontinental Cup. That is how you handle these things.

Now you feel that your club was treated unfair? Don't quit in the middle of the competition. Man up and take your revenge on the field. This is the chance for glory, like Independiente rightly got, because they overcame every advantage the European club had, and they wrote history, against all the odds.

As far as I'm concerned, everybody involved is acting like cowards. People may say today we have better athletes, but today's mentality is not what it used to be. These teams may be good, but the people in charge of themt are not fit to wear the jocks of the Independiente of old. And where is the outrage of the players? Are they going to allow the front office to tell them to quit? What a bunch of panzies.

Learn from Independiente of the 70's, ************!!!

Damn! I picked a fine year to start blogging about La Copa. And it was shaping up so well, too.

25. tarkaba

tarkaba New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    You say you blame all four teams but all of your arguments and your anecdote are aimed at the Mexican teams. Your attempt at being fair is just laughable.