Mesut Özil

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by hackespitze123, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dr.Phil repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This guy is total idiot. To think that he was once part of NT... I hope his career crash and burn, Arsenal should sell him to Hungarian 2nd division club.

Regarding Uighurs, go to Xinjiang and see the real situation. The persecution is nothing more than US propaganda. Even middle eastern muslim countries went to Xinjiang themselves and can't find the so called persecution.

4. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is there anything left of Ozils football career at this point? Arsenal barely tolerate him. The only reason he is still there is that no team wants his 300k a week wages

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ironically Ozil has started regularly since Emery's last games, and then under Freddie

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am tempted to give you a 100% arbitary red card for this but doubt you would see the irony

nekkibasara and Dr.Phil repped this.
  7. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Do u really think I give a shit. It's funny your contribution to this group only when to defends Ozil. If its make u happy to give me red card, black card, shit card whatever just do it. I have nothing to lose anyway. This forum is in comatose anyway thanks to those all mighty moderators here.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As i said ...

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So interestingly Ozil has been turning back the clock under Arteta with very 3 sweet performances

I've suspected he was physically done but with the right leadership and tactics, suddenly Arse look dangerous with his passing out of midfield

Take that losers and haters!

10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's kind of fascinating the difference the right culture and tactics make.

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LMAO

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mesut needs to look at himself - Emery opens up on Ozil relationship at Arsenal

Unai Emery has opened up on the fractious relationship he endured with Mesut Ozil at Arsenal and says the playmaker has to "look at himself, at his attitude and commitment".

The Gunners appointed Emery as Arsene Wenger's successor in May 2018 but just 18 months later he was sacked with Arsenal making a disappointing start to the 2019-20 campaign.

Emery's relationship with Ozil was often a point of scrutiny and the Germany World Cup winner found himself in and out of the squad under the Spaniard.

Ozil was handed a new Arsenal contract in January 2018, four months prior to Emery's appointment, and the former Real Madrid star's commitment to the cause was questioned by the ex-boss.

"In the end he has to look at himself. At his attitude and his commitment," he said in quotes published by the Daily Mail.

"I tried my utmost to help Ozil. Throughout my career, talented players have been my favourites and they have played at their best or close to their best with me.

"I was always positive with him in terms of wanting him to be involved, but then the attitude that he adopted, and the commitment levels, well, they weren't enough.

"One of the captains could possibly have been Ozil but the dressing room didn't want him to be captain. His level of commitment was not that of someone who deserved to be captain, and that's not what I decided, that's what the players decided."

Emery recounted one particular moment of tension in the aftermath of the 4-1 Europa League final defeat to Chelsea, the pain of which he had hoped to use as a springboard to push on.

"I had meetings with all the players that day. Individual half-hour chats with each one. Only Ozil didn't want to come," he added.

"He didn't come. And that's what we're saying when we talk about commitment. When the commitment is 100 per cent then everyone comes."
    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/mesut-needs-look-himself-emery-203004794.html

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    will he accuse Emery of being racist like he did the dfb?

Ozil sounds like a diva who thought he didn't need to make much effort.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yet under arteta he has been excellent

Emery was a very poor manager whose team performed badly with ozil sidelined

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and none of that changes Ozil's poor attitude and commitment, sounds like even his teammates were very iffy towards him.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This kind of analysis is too simplistic

When freddy came in and also did badly he blamed not only Ozil but multiple senior players and dropped all of then but then kept losing

The problem is if the tactics and belief amongst the squad leadership is not right then people get frustrated and disjointed in their efforts

That is what happened under Emery. The players thought he was crap and didn't believe in his ideas which was then reinforced when we kept losing

Under Arteta it has been the opposite. He has found ways to generate belief in what he is doing and Ozil has been central to it

But not just Ozil. He has got other key players performing again

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you just sound like your an Ozil fanboy who thinks his golden boy is infallible. You blame everyone but Ozil. You blamed dfb, Low, and everyone but Ozil.

I like Ozil but there is a ton to criticize with him for years.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well I am of course a fan, and as an Arsenal fan I had hoped we could get something out his twilight years so was pleased to see it happen. :)

What was interesting, a bit like Mueller, is his recovery disproved 2 common fan theories - one of which I believed.

1. Ozil hurts the defence
    Data shows it makes no difference whether or not Ozil plays. But surprisingly under Arteta's complete tactical reboot, Ozil has been one of the best defenders in the team. But if you look back at his data in the context of a pressing side, Ozil always had decent data for a forward.

which leads us to ...

2. Ozil is physically done
    I had assumed this to be true, because he appears to have chronic back issues - but his performances under Arteta looked good so maybe we will get one more good season out of him (if we even get next season)

It's not true that I don't blame him and indeed the other players for some truly horrible performances, but the anorak analysis suggests that the problem wasn't "attitude" as much as the players and Emery not being good enough.

Emery broke a team that was already declining under Wenger

The collapse of Ozil's attacking data closely correlates to the arrival of Emery but especially the sales of Alexis and Giroud. I won't go into the detail but that is why it was not an easy problem to fix

IMO the issues with Germany were similar. Mueller did not become a bad player, but the whole combination of manager, personalities and tactics became toxic.

20. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That blame-game Emery is trying to play is meaningless.

What I will say is that Özil consistently fails to make the most out of the talent that he's been given. If you told me 10 years ago that between Müller and Özil there'd be one player who hits his peak in 2013 only to gradually decline without ever really changing the way he plays while the other is able to re-invent himself twice to get back to world-class (or close to world-class) levels then I would have assumed their roles to be reversed.

Now Özil is 31 and with any other player of his talent level I would assume he has a gracious autumn of his career ahead during which he will still be able to shine. But him being Mesut Özil I honestly have written that possibility off, because I don't see him putting in that work. I don't think he's losing any sleep over his situation, he's just doing what he's always done and will continue to do so until he retires.

Sometimes I watch a rare Premiere League game involving Arsenal in the post-Wenger era and I'm surprised to still see him play, because I had almost forgotten about him.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The similarity between the two guys is Mueller recovered under quality management and got much worse under poor managers.

Ozil was stuck with a declining Wenger - the arsenal peak was all the way back in 2013 when we were the best team in the calendar year. There was some flickering of the light and both Alexis and Ozil had elite seasons after that but it was fairly much downhill and then Emery came in and made things much much worse

I think the real shame is that had we hired someone like Arteta 4 years ago when Wenger should have been sacked we would not have wasted Ozil's late 20s ...

If I was going to criticise Ozil for anything it is that he stayed at all. He should have left when he got his free agency. But the money was too good.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Having done some work in high performance, I will say the problem with the usual pundit theories about "attitude" is that elite performance culture relies on a number of key building blocks and processes all being in place at once.

As we've been under Emery or under say Carlo/Kovac at Bayern, if the players don't understand the tactical approaches, then they lose belief and get demotivated - especially when they don't get results

According to pundits this can be fixed by "passion" but its just not really true and doesn't make sense if you consider how you would personally react.

So even a guy like Mueller, where you would not criticise his attitude - he could not even deliver his own usual performance levels let alone inspire the team

This is kind of what we saw at the end of his time with Germany, Mueller shouting at players bumbling through Loew's absurd tactics, whilst also playing badly himself, and everyone getting pissed off with each other.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not sure if anyone is interested but this was a deep data dive into the disaster of the Emery era and Ozil's part in it

Having nerded out a bit on this topic I hold a contrarian view on his career arc. IMO Arsenal went into a step 5 year decline in 2014, but actually Ozil would peak for the club in 2015-17, including his excellent 2016 euros performance in tandem with Toni Kroos. At this point, Alexis and Ozil carried the Arsenal team and is the loss of Alexis and the injuries to Ozil that really started to bite.

By the Emery era, Arsenal were barely a top 10 side in any dimension.

https://arseblog.news/2020/02/the-7amkickoff-index-mesut-ozils-stats-a-deep-dive/

24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Ozil is done with the national team anyway so what difference does it make really? I mean currently in your guys' national team you have better players that can replace him and have replaced him already

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh without question - he is done at national team level