Mesut Özil

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by hackespitze123, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Erm, I think that's an absolutely awful account of what happened. Like taken right out of BILD.

To give you the other side of the story, Özil was hesitant to resign with Schalke because he was concerned about his sporting perspective at the club (just look at Höwedes) after Rakitic was suddenly bought and given great attention, given the #10 etc., and of course money could have been a sweetener. Then someone leaked full details of the contract negotiations to tabloid BILD and they campaigned, deliberately supported in that by Schalke's management, for weeks against Özil, making him known to all of Germany as a greedy brat (Schalke's management is ridiculously close to Bild, that's a more general story). So in addition to sporting concerns, the Özils didn't want to work with Schalke any more as they were shocked by that campaign.

Özil's father was also depicted as somewhat difficult to deal with and quite dominant, but that's somewhere between fact and fiction.

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

3. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    btw Manchester United wanted to get Özil on loan from Schalke ;). So it's not like his father lied.

4. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I bet an ambitious player in Ozil would be pissed that he is still being left out after series of stunning performances, whereas 1/4 of the team are amatuers. And if he sees Hinkel, Frtiz(who can't even gurantee a starting place in Werder Bremen recently), Hitzlsperger, Kuranyi are there in the squad, thats a really bad decsion. Maybe he'll choose Turkey sooner.

Contribution should be recognised.

"No experiment"........lol, but number of players in the squad have kept failing the experiment for years and are still there.

5. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

aaaaah...you and Turkey :D Özil deciding to play for Turkey would mean that he gives up his German passport - he'll NEVER do that! And why don't you just read that what his father said about Turkey and Germany and you'll know that Özil (whose father is part of his management too) will play for Germany.

This is the most important match for the U21 - Löw sent Marin back, so that our team has bigger chances. Özil won't be angry at all because he knows that he's NEEDED in this match.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I also think Schalke, as a club, was more hesitant to give an 18 year old consistent playing time.

I'm curious, where did you get that Manchester was interested in him? I never heard of that story/rumour.

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FR, it's manchester united. Or united! :(:p

8. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kicker article 2 days ago.

9. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

That's why I wanted him called up as early as possible. Calling him up early never could have been irresponsible because he certainly has a future in Germany's NT. It's only that nobody knows what will happen once they really start to mess with his mind. I think it's completely open who he'll play for.

10. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If Ozil chooses Turkey, Loew should be responsible.........

That was a huge mistake

11. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's true, it would be real negligence.

12. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Lads, the story is from Kölner Express, even the Sun, Playboy and Bild
    are serious sport newspapers in comparison.

13. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Doesn't matter, I have little doubt this is true (it would be negligence if Terim didn't try...), although it should still look better for Germany than for Turkey.

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It just says Terim wants him, which should be very sensible

Th Kolner didn't mention about the chance.........so the content should be true. Ozil atm should favor the German side imo

15. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    What about the Özils deprivation of the Turkish citizenship in November 2007(kicker)? :confused:

16. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I guess he could get it back if he gave up his German?

Let's wait and see.

17. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it was clear that the Turks would try it even harder now that Özil is playing so well in the Bundesliga. Özil would have to give up his German passport to play for Turkey - does he want that? Does Werder Bremen want that? I doubt it.

Özil will play for Germany's U21 on Friday. He's already in training camp.

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And he is 19! He would be really impatient if he really did consider Turkey. He is not far from the NT now.

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Turkey did that with Sahin. They didn't wait and capped him right off the bat after a great season with Dortmund. The difference, Sahin wanted to be picked by Turkey, yet Turkey weren't taking any chances, and capped him as early as they could to secure him.

Özil has expressed interest in Germany and I doubt Turkey could lure him with an invitation to the NT even if it was extended to him tomorrow!

20. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I have a bad feeling about this, u never know whats gonna happen. The Turkish pride is always there.

Till tomorrow for Ozil to decide? Oh My god, thats mean i have to be worried for another night

VS Russia is an important match, yes. But we are gonna play Wales on 15th Oct. Loew should have brought in Ozil for the Wales game.

21. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    To Smithfan:

Why wouldn't Werder Bremen want him to play for Turkey? He'll just be another foreigner in their team.......it doesnt make a difference to them

22. scrbblsz

scrbblsz New Member

Aug 11, 2008
  23. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Based on ESPN, Terim said he has sent out invitation but Mesut said he needed time to consider.........n Terim is stilll waiting for his answer

Other than that, Allofs has stated that he should be patient coz he is very very close to our NT.

Both Ozil n Loew haven't expressed anything yet. Loew should be fired if he lost Ozil to the Turish, entirely his fault.
    If he joins the NT, he is bay far n easily the most creative player againt (well, maybe not Russia) Wales on the 15th

24. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Süddeutsche Zeitung has now covered Özil's "indecision" - LINK

He doesn't want to give any comment whatsoever for now, not even on whether he still has Turkish nationality or not (the fact that he formally applied to give it up doesn't mean at all that he doesn't have it any more...). On the other hand, it is presumed that his father has suggested he should play for Germany.

IMO people (including probably Löw) have been too naive about this. You just need to listen to how bad his German is and you get a sense he may well be susceptible to Turkish appeals to pride.