Merrier as a Terrier: Danny Williams at Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much bizzare about this post I’m having trouble to compute

2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Danny Williams' contract ends in June. Will he stay in England, go back to Germany, or perhaps try MLS? If he can find a decent Premier League or Bundesliga team where he will get playing time, great. Otherwise, I'd love to see him in MLS, and get back into the national team picture.

edcrocker repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If he couldn't get playing time at Huddersfield, he's not getting it in any decent top-flight Euro league.

tomásbernal, WrmBrnr, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    According to transfermarkt, his contract is up as of June 30.

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. EPL had both champs league and Europa league finalists this season....very strong league this year. Historically strong at the top....increased pressure throughout the league.
    2. He was injured for a good chunk of the season - if he had been healthy and "Hyndmann'd' I would be with you - but that wasn't the case. When healthy last year he played a lot and acquitted himelf pretty well even if he wasn' a starter...
    3. David Wagner got the Schalke job after bombing out at Huddersfield - I'm sure Williams could find a decent squad in Germany, assuming he's healthy - and definitely in some other euro leagues such as netherlands, belgium etc if he wanted to....

I get what you are saying - Huddersfield was so bad that if you cannot make it there you can't make it anywhere - but I think in this case - I think the EPL is the best league and even players who were extraneous there could make it elsewhere...in other words, i think the worst EPL team could still do pretty well in a lot of euro leagues....so not featuring for them shouldn't be seen as "mark of death"

Perhaps this is just a "we know you don't want to play in the championship" so feel free to find another club (my guess) as opposed to a "don't let the door hit you on the way out"?

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Released just means "Not offering a new contract"

It's a pre-Bosman term.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He only had 1,100 minutes in the league for a team that was extremely fortunate to escape relegation, and then...

...only managed about 160 minutes in all competitions this season.

I just don't see any decent clubs taking a plunge on a guy who's the wrong side of 30 and couldn't get any minutes, either because of health or ability, for the worst Premier League team in a decade. The salary demands alone would likely keep the smaller-league Euro teams away.

He seems primed for a move to the second Bundesliga or MLS. I'm curious to see how his summer goes.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK you could be right. we'll see.

In my opinion the EPL -even the worst team - is still a rung or two above other even decent euro leagues....i think the bottom of the EPL was hurt by a conglomeration of talent at the top...

tottenham made bvb look pretty bad....for example.....

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's 30 with a pretty sizeable injury history. The pay in the 2bl isn't going to attract him unless someone decides he is the single player that will drag them to the 1bl, and is he the guy you'd go big for?
    I'm a huge Williams fan. He was spectacular for Reading. He could look for a return, but that would be going backwards and he isn't that guy. He looks for the next adventure. I really can't see him landing well in a top division right now. MLS might make the most sense. And a team like Miami or Nashville might actually be ideal, give him time to fully rest and rebuild his body. If he's ready to play this summer, which I wonder about, SKC likes injured players.
    Whever the next step, I wish him luck.

KicksNgiggles and The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    German passport, he may find a place in Denmark's Superliga or the German 2.BuLi.

mschofield repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course he can find a place in Denmark or the 2Bl, but it would be a massive paycut, and not just from last year but his last half dozen. That's an odd step back at 30. He's done the 1Bl, quite well. His best paycheck might be MLS.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's easy to forget, but when he moved to Reading he was swapping BL1 rotator for Championship starter (mid-table Championship, mind) and that move brought a near-life-altering pay rise with it.

If he wants anything like the same money as he's on right now, it's MLS or the Championship. Anywhere else, and it's the top 3-5 in that league, and while that could, possibly, happen for Aaron Mooy (a la Dusan Tadic leaving Southampton for Ajax) that's just not going to happen for Danny. He's over 30, been injured too often for too long and when fit he wasn't starting.

15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "So, my time at Huddersfield has come to an end. A great 2 years and an enjoyable experience throughout, a massive thanks to the fans and staff who made it all possible, it is a shame for me personally that I couldn’t play as much as I wanted to this season, to help the boys to survive.
    Now... we see what the next chapter is."
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxnQRQPH9UW/

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He's at that place where either you make the kind of move to set up "the next stage in your life" like to MLS cause he wants to try America and sneak onto the WC squad, or you go to a club for cheap that will let you move into front office/coaching kind of thing, or you take the richest offer you can find and grind out a few more years of check-cashing. (and MLS might offer that last bit - or even all 3.)

Be interesting to see what he decides.

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I suspect that the Huddersfield team will be totally falling apart ... The 3 Danish players, Billing, Mathias "Zanka" and Lössl are also leaving for sure, in fact, Lössl has already signed a 3-year contract with Everton ...

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    According to both German and Danish media, David Wagner and Schalke are trying to get their hands on Mathias "Zanka" .... Wagner was also hoping to get Lössl who signed with Everton, but according to "Zanka" he is now looking at several offers, but is interested in joining Wagner.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wagner didn't play Williams even when healthy so I doubt he's going to have any interest in him now.

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, Schalke are loaded with central midfielders ... including McKennie ... and to be fair, Williams was both up against a knee injury and a much younger Billing who was both voted Huddersfield 'Players Player of the Year' and 'Young Player of the Year' :
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/spor...billing-christopher-schindler-awards-16162583

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why people would think that MLS teams would offer a guy like Danny Williams a big contract. He's no doubt been a very good player when healthy, but he's been oft-injured lately. As I've mentioned before regarding Aron Johannsson, MLS teams don't have the luxury due to the salary structure to take a flyer on a pricey player that has such an injury history. Someone might take a flyer on him for, say, $300k/year on a year-to-year contract (with built-in performance-based raises), but I highly doubt he'd generate further interest than that at this point in his career.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pay cut, the guy's on no pay now. If he's getting paid to play soccer anywhere it will be a step up from $0.00/day that he's making after H'field.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Any rumors about Danny Williams' next destination? Odd that it has been so quiet.

24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he's living the instagram "influencer" life, walking around largely shirtless and blue steeling into the camera. looks mighty fit though

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know who has his MLS discovery rates, or whatever silly thing they have where you can't sign anyone in the world like every other league that exists?