Merrier as a Terrier: Danny Williams at Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 8, 2009.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*ck. Why can't our players stay healthy? Right before crucial qualifiers, just take it down a notch. Don't get hurt.

2 weeks, 2 months, he's not going to play in WCQ, and if he doesn't do that, I bet you he's not going to the WC.

Gacm32 repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he pulls a Mastroeni and gets called in for the WC despite not playing in qualies.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Williams was out injured today as Huddersfield lost 4-0 to Tottenham.

4. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably good to not be a part of a massacre.

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True, but results against Tottenham and the like aren't going to decide their season, and they're not going to face Harry Kane - 84 goals in 123 EPL games every week either.

They did give up 3 goals in 23 minutes here, but they'd only conceded 3 goals in the previous 6 games. According to the match reports, they were overwhelmed but they didn't roll over either.

Next up is Swansea (A), followed by United (H), Liverpool (A), West Brom (H) and Bournemouth (A). The games against Swansea, Bournemouth and - to a lesser extent - West Brom will tell a hell of a lot about their season

6. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted in Academy but sadly, and selfishly. I now kind of want the 'Udders to be relegated so we can swipe DW as the next US manager. Brings in Danny to show MB what some bite looks like in the CM. Unfortunately DWill will probably be too old for next WC (if we qualify).

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Naah. Williams is only 28 (since March). He'll be 32 at the next WC, which is a pretty good age for a DM. He'll still have a good deal to offer going forward, especially now that he's playing at a higher level than Michale Bradley

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the US will be looking at options beyond Williams and Bradley for the farce in Qatar. I love Williams, but counting on 32 year olds for the Hex is one of the reasons we're outside looking in right now. Country (crap tactically, but high energy football) is a young players game.
    For club, where details matter much more, 32 can still be prime, IMO.

LouisZ, Gacm32, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  9. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sake of the conversation, and I feel like I consistently say this about Danny (probably due to him getting Jurgened- AKA played out of position), he is not a 6. By his own admission and if you watched him the last few years at Reading he is an 8. Now, at 32 yes, that may be a time to hone his skills as a straight up 6. But for the record, not a 6 (currently).

wixson7 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, Bradley is not a 6 either.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1536 The Irish Rover, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    An 8 who can defend and a 6 who can pass, in one player.

Sounds perfect. ;)

Gacm32 and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1537 The Irish Rover, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    True enough about too many guys on the wrong side of 30 in the team, but all successful sides have experienced veterans to anchor things and show leadership, and the latter involves more than crunching tackles and pointing and shouting at people: getting on the ball and looking for the ball when someone else has it, supporting who is on the ball, knowing when to pass the ball quickly and accurately in the right areas and when to kill the game off, among others. That's something that comes mostly from experience.

There does seem to be a puzzling lack of quality players in the 23-27 age range, so the average - certainly median - age of the outfield players could drop to about 24-25. Someone with big-game experience in neutralizing and then imposing your game plan on far superior opponents - which is what his Huddersfield career will be - is going to be even more important in this cycle as the over-30s are shown the door.*

*That includes Bradley IMO

13. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. Maybe I should have clarified that I didn't necessarily mean him to be a direct replacement. Just hoping that Bradley is phased out sooner than later.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

While Williams has his qualities, and can do ok in a bottom-feeder in the EPL, he needs a certain type of player right behind him.

We don't have that certain type in the NT. He may prove an improvement on Bradley, heck my grandmother could prove an improvement on him.

Just don't count on it making much of a difference in games that matter.

15. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he will be a huge difference maker. He is very solid. We need a solid player in the middle right now. Honestly, I think the way he plays is pretty "American". Which we have gotten away from. The gritty, in your face, win every 50/50 ball, pragmatic hard-nosed toughness. That was our identity for so long. I think Danny has those qualities.

Midas Mulligan and wixson7 repped this.
  16. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a thought, that hadn't occurred to me till now. Wes McKennie in behind him. That could be attractive.

DeCoverley repped this.
  17. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Jonathan Gonzalez

DeCoverley repped this.
  18. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    FWIW Danny Willams started an Instagram account strictly to show off his fashion sense. It makes me even more sick that we never called him in. His fits are amazing. Best dressed in our pool. No competition.

His account is: https://www.instagram.com/chilliams_lifestyle/

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He and Brek could talk threads.

20. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god dammit, he's also a very handsome man. would've loved to have seen his impact on american culture at large if a) we'd made it and b) he'd been a (big) part; he has a cool mix of suave/urbane/*sophisticated/***boi that i don't think america would've known how to have handled...

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  21. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    danny is back from injury and starts on the bench.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Williams coming in for an injured player

23. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    What a lost opportunity. A player on our team who is friends with Odell Beckham? We blew it.

24. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't tell if you all are serious. But as a pretty big Dwill fan. I dig it.

25. handballer

handballer Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds, SF City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    I always thought his super angular face and haircut made him look something like an alien. But he's just looking dope in these.

We've come a long way:

[​IMG]

superdave and TarHeels17 repped this.