Mergification

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, May 21, 2014.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    What is this the year of mergification in northern Illinois?

Just read an article that Pegasus which is a very old club in the area has merged with Chicago Fire Jr's. Two other clubs as well have merged at the top end (High School) which are Cary Defenders and Woodstock Crossfire - probably due to dwindling numbers there.

One tiny community club WAYSC has now merged with an intermediate travel club called Stamford and Crystal Lake Force now runs McHenry Vipers.

The only patter I see here is community clubs which are slowing burning out looking to pool in order to stay alive (Defenders/McHenry/WAYSC/Crossfire/Pegasus).

When do Raptors finally become Magic NW?

This crazy stuff going on elsewhere?

2. keeper dad

keeper dad Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I know this year several teams from Eclipse West moved to Galaxy (I know the director and 2 boys teams moved not sure how many others) and have heard rumors that at least one high school aged boys team is moving to Galaxy once the spring season is over but no club names have been mentioned.

My uninformed guess would be Sockers Naperville may be looking for a new home. Galaxy picked up the former director from their Fire Jr.'s days last year and if the rumor about academies becoming free is accurate the anticipated fee increase for the non-academy teams (to cover the cost of the academy teams) may be pushing them to look for other options.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Galaxy is a great club with some solid coaches. It's a gold mine of talent for any large club to grab but they have remained independent for quite some time. We always enjoy playing them!

I don't think Sockers Naperville can look for a new home. They are part of Sockers altogether and frankly have big talent on the girls side - in many cases out doing what Schaumburg Sockers is managing these days. Sure SK can leave and he'd probably take with him many players but I doubt it. They are building big down there so it's a money maker for DR. Can't see that going any time soon.

ECNL is not going to be free anytime soon and frankly I don't think anyone has an idea how DA is going to be re-implemented at the Club level in order for it to be free. I think that is a few years down the road.

I would love to see more teams in DA/ECNL however - Campton and Galaxy being two of a few just to mention.

4. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I don't think Sockers Naperville/Wheaton are going anywhere. Heard alot of positives this year after they got rid of AG, and brought in a younger guy for the U-littles who parents talk highly of. They got Premiership level teams at 13,14 and put a load of players in the ECNL and NPL pools. Looks like Sockers play all home ECNL and USSDA home games at Nike Park too.