Men's D1 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by NoVa.Dad, Dec 6, 2019.

1. NoVa.Dad

NoVa.Dad Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Nov 19, 2018
    Does anyone know if these games are being televised?
    Or have a link to a Live Stream?

Friday, Dec. 6:
    No. 7 Stanford vs. No. 2 Clemson | 6 p.m.
    No. 1 Virginia vs. No. 8 Southern Methodist | 7 p.m.

Saturday, Dec. 7
    No. 3 Georgetown vs. No. 6 Washington | Noon
    UC Santa Barbara vs. No. 4 Wake Forest | 5 p.m.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Gtown match is on Youtube.
    WF is on ACCnx - you can view via ESPN+ if you have ACCNetwork.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Man, Stanford sure knows how to get it done in PKs, doesn't it?

Uncanny.

Jeremy Gunn has now been to the College Cup 5 times (one of them at Charlotte) this decade (2010-2019). No other D-I men's coach has been to more than three this decade.

Among the coaches to make three College Cups in the "teens" is George Gelnovatch, who will be there this season after UVa beat SMU in OT.

Sasho Cirovski, Todd Yeagley, Carlos Somoano, Elmar Bolowich (1 at UNC, 2 at Creighton) and Jared Embick also made three this decade.

Yeah, it's an arbitrary 10-year time period, but that's how we tend to break things down in our society. Regardless, it's still impressive.

4. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Embick made it to three College Cups in his first six years as a head coach. I'm pretty sure that's a record.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Close.

Harry Keough took over SLU in 1967 and made the Final Four in 7 of his first eight seasons and won 5 national titles.

Different era, of course.

Embick has definitely established himself as a worthy heir to Porter.

OverseasView, fknbuflobo and SBZipfan repped this.
  6. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Embick (obviously) needs to win one.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    UCSB dominates the first half against Wake, then Wake gets a somewhat lucky goal in the last minute, and takes control in the second half. Wake 1-0.

8. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Wake has sleep-walked through every first half thus far in the tournament. (They also did it against UVA in the ACC semi.) Need to get that figured out by Friday...

I stand by that it was a great goal though, although having your right back dribble through the entire team and nutmeg two players isn't necessarily sustainable.

SBZipfan repped this.
  9. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Full replay on youtube of Wake Forest/UCSB --

10. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Stanford/Clemson kicks --

11. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    You'd think Stanford's opponents would have a pretty good book on PK tendencies at this point.

Maybe England should hire Gunn as a consultant. :ROFLMAO:

fknbuflobo and OverseasView repped this.
  12. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    It's Stanford's goalkeeping that's winning the SOs, at least this year. Why does anyone kick low and to the left against this Cardinal GK? (Too lazy to look up his name, sorry …)

13. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are asking someone else to do homework when you are admittedly too lazy to even find Cardinal GK’s name?

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Georgetown advances to the final with a 2-0 win over Stanford, a game in which they were dominant for most of it.

First time in seven College Cup games under Jeremy Gunn that Stanford has allowed a goal.

Hoyas advance to their second final; they fell to Indiana in 2012.

gogorath and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Two very nice goals by G'town. Absolutely horrible weather isn't helping the attendance.

gogorath repped this.
  16. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Dike is a beast... Like his brother but even bigger...

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    UVa holds on to advance, 2-1. Dike scores two really good first half goals and then held-off Wake, which got a late PK after Chol, who was really good in the second half, was taken down in the box.

Virginia-Georgetown in the final.

18. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    #18 quzybuk, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    I am now dry and warm after coming back from Cary. Some thoughts...

- Thought Georgetown looked as good as advertised. Stanford really looked bereft of ideas once Georgetown started winning all the first/second long balls that Stanford tried.

- That corner with the slip-n-slide was just ridiculous. Borderline unplayable. They tried blowers and squeegees at halftime of the first game and in between the games (strangely, not during halftime of the second game)... it really didn't matter much.

- To that end, it wasn't bad for the first game, but the rain came down a bit harder and the temperature dropped for the second game; that plus nervous energy of watching my team play (and lose) made for a rough 2 hours.

- All four teams had noticeable fan sections, which was a pleasant surprise given the weather. Not a surprise that Wake brought the biggest crowd given its proximity. I suspect there should be a good crowd on Sunday once the weather clears up.

- Proud of my Deacs and congrats to the Hoos. Dike's goals were both outstanding, but thought Wake did a much better job shading a second person on him in the second half and fought really hard til the end. Didn't think UVA looked great (horribly biased, of course, but I would say that Wake maybe played slightly better on the night but didn't finish chances well) except for the defensive solidarity; my sense is they'll need to play a bit more sharply or else Georgetown will run through them on Sunday.

19. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    I guess I'll also say (upon further reflection): often times in single elimination tournaments you have a Cinderella making a deep run. While everyone loves that underdog story, it also doesn't necessarily reflect what transpired over the course of the entire season. With apologies to Clemson, I think it's pretty clear that UVA and Georgetown have been the consistently best teams over the course of this entire year, and either will make an entirely deserving champion.

TimB4Last, gogorath and collegesoccer repped this.
  20. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I dunno, the Stanford fans have all left town, and the local team is out. Virginia and Georgetown fans will still be there of course, and maybe a few more local fans of the sport will decide to come, but that effect is usually small.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  21. quzybuk

quzybuk Member

Wake Forest
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    It's actually not *that* much further to Cary from Charlottesville than from Winston (maybe an extra 90 minutes or so); tack on maybe an extra 30-40 minutes from NoVa/DC. Also, both of those schools have significantly larger student bodies/alumni bases than Wake. I do think there will be sizable local turnout with better weather as well, as the Triangle has a solid soccer-supporting community.

TimB4Last and fknbuflobo repped this.
  22. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    #22 espola, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    I haven't been able to find the attendance figure for yesterday's semifinal games.

Edit - 9862 (found it)

23. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    That's not too bad since walkup sales would be way down given the rain.

24. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    #24 SBZipfan, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    According to the TV announcers, attendance at the final is "over 8000".

And it's 3-3 at the end of regulation! Terrific game, highest scoring final since 1980 (USF over Indiana, 4-3 OT).

It's an old cliche, but it is really is a shame that one team will have to lose this one.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  25. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    6 goals plus 13 PKs = 19 balls in the net. Is that a record?