Men of a Certain Age

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Crimson Ace, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.tnt.tv/series/menofacertainage/

Men of a Certain Age, TNT, Mondays at 10/9C

Did anyone else catch the Pilot? They had to spend some time for us to get to know the characters, which seemed forced at times, but the acting is superior (especially from Andre Braugher). Maybe I appreciate the show because I tend to share many of their experiences and trials, but I'm looking forward to future episodes.

[​IMG]

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the DVR, and I am excited to watch it.

3. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, I really liked last night's episode. Only the 2nd show, the characters are evolving and gaining some substance. It's nice to see Ray Romano in a role that doesn't involve a pie in the face or a slide whistle... and... he's actually pulling it off. There are rumors of his role getting pretty heady and dark as the show progresses. Bakula is also in a great place with his performance... but Andre Braugher is as good as advertised. The depth of emoting he's able to capture with a simple, subtle glance is astounding. And unlike the other two characters who seem to be on a stagnant and/or downward spiral, his character's story seems to be one on the rebound and full of hope. Great show so far... I'm in.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I missed it last night. But will check the rerun. Ray Romano's IMO an underrated actor. Even in the sitcom I thought he could do a few other roles.

I like the show. And that's really saying something. It's a good cast.

5. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen this show yet. It looks like the pilot is on Hulu--any place to see the second episode? Andre Braugher is probably my favorite actor, so I'm definitely intrigued. Although the trailers for the show that were playing in movie theaters made it seem kind of maudlin.

6. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't speak for the availability of episodes online, but I can speak for Andre's character. Not maudlin, so much as beat down by life. I was going to explain why, but exploring and exposing his growth out of melancholy is a great feature of the show. Give it a chance, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

7. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good episode tonight, but missing the grit of the first two. It was nice, however, to just watch the three main characters simply enjoy their path.

I'm in sales, and Andre's delivery of the final scene, specifically the last line before they roll the credits... I literally laughed out loud in my living room. :)

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is this like an American version of "Manchild"?

9. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had to look up Manchild. After reading several descriptions, I can see why it might seem like that... but only superficially. Unlike Manchild, the three men leading the charge in this show aren't trying to recapture their youth or relive their glory days. Men of a Certain Age is more about these men simply trying to come to grips with how their lives have changed and coming to terms with what's ahead. And while there are some very funny moments sprinkled in, the base of this show is grounded in the real and dramatic day-to-day issues most of us face.

10. Goaltenda

Goaltenda New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    TNT's website has eps online here. This has quickly become my favorite show, with Andre Baugher's character Owen becoming my favorite of the characters. There was a lot of buildup for this show with me as the marketing company I work for picked up the campaign from TNT a few months back and I got to see a lot of the promos.

When it aired though I thought the characters and the Californication-esque feel would make this a lasting series. I haven't been disapointed yet:)

11. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, when I first starting watching this I thought of Manchild too (it's a BBC program) but these characters are not as shallow or fabulous/rich.

K

12. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally got around to watching the last episode. I've said it before, but what a great show. The writing, allowing for some pretty profound character development, is fantastic. The acting might be some of the best on television right now. These story lines in this past episiode - Travis, Late, Father - all wrapped around a Rocky theme... very entertaining. And yes, I laughed out loud in my living room as I watched Romano basking in the glory of fatherhood... only to watch the sprinkler head shoot off like a geyser. Brilliant.

13. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on last night's episode, I am now on board with your analysis. Romano was brilliant. I know I shouldn't be surprised by this show anymore, but I continue to get knocked over by how smartly it's written. The glaring awkwardness of Romano's date, wrapped around the subtle story line involving the cashier was excellent... and her final line of the show in subtitles had me doing a spit-take! Funny stuff.

--

"...leg cramp!" :D

--

Men returns in two weeks with another episode smartly centered around Braugher's troubled working relationship with his father.

14. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught up on the last 3 eps the past 2 nights and holy cow do I love this show. Romano and his bookie in the pool, the blind date, the Rocky theme, great stuff!

K

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm, this week's ep didn't blow me away like previous ones (all a little too predictable)

K

16. Clipse

Clipse New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Toronto
    I've only watched the first 3 episodes, but I'm hooked. Owen is my favourite too.

17. Kailey

Kailey New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    never heard of it

18. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night's episode was okay, but it felt like the previous episode in that it was just a filler. Thankfully, the actors are good enough to make it work until the writers can regain their footing.

I really enjoyed the golf scenes... and you know that Ray had a great time with those. I guess being the Executive Producer has some advantages. ;)

19. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm behind and watching from DVR. Just saw the episode with the blind date/black eye. It was phenomenal. This one was my favorite so far. Such great writing.

20. strike

strike New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent show!

Anyone know how the ratings are doing thus far? I'd love to know if they're going to order more episodes or cancel another brilliant show because 99.9% of TV viewers are morons.

21. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed the season finale. I think they glossed over the gambling exodus, but the discovery amongst the other characters was fantastic. I'm sorry to see this one end for now. Let's just hope this one sticks around for a while.

BTW, the final two scenes were awesome. Owen introducing himself (and Terry) at the morning meeting, and then Joe hittin' the lake with his kid on the course. Great stuff.

If this show gets a season two, the rivalry between Owen and the previous manager at his dad's dealership should be very intense.

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe has to keep gambling because the bookie is my favorite character! and fantasy lady, nice balloons! :p

K