Megan Rapinoe appreciation thread (she's BACK)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by WWC_Movement, Jun 20, 2016.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Expect her to be on the Olympic team.

Yes, they'll have to build up her fitness. She may end up only playing 25-30 minutes per match in the group stage, and may only be able to play 60 minutes in the knockout stage. But she'll play a key role.

There's no doubt in our minds that if she passes the fitness testing to reach 30 minutes of action, she'll make the roster. They know they can continue to build her minutes up from there. Even if Pugh and Heath start on the outside, Pinoe is still a better reserve at that spot than anyone else can provide right now, if all you need is 30 minutes out of her in the group stage, and up to 60 in the knockout phase (if a match goes 120 minutes).

Welcome back Ms. Rapinoe.
    It's up to you now if your fitness can hack it, which everyone is betting on you because you are PINOE.

2. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this isn't a Lauren Sesselmann rush back job like Canada had last year. Where she was clearly not back in form during the WWC and it cost team CAN dearly.

exref repped this.
  3. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Sort of apples and oranges. Sesselman was a central defender playing in a very precarious spot on the pitch, while Rapinoe plays on the flank.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I had this thought. She came back early in college, got reinjured within 20 minutes, and had to sit another full year.

5. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    If this happens, and I certainly hope it will not, at least she is not a barely 20-something. She is mature woman and seasoned athlete. I hope she is able to make a good decision regarding her readiness and wouldn't be foolish about re-entering the squad just for Road to Rio.

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    is there a press release she's back? where's that info?

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #9 Cliveworshipper, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

I don't think she was foolish the first time. The doctors cleared her to play. But ACL's take time, and Megan is older, which means recovery from injury takes longer, in my experience ( I have a bit of experience with that)

I think Shannon Macmillan shortened her career by coming back early also.

taosjohn and mamalia repped this.
  9. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #10 BrooklynSoccer, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    [​IMG]Jeff Kassouf @JeffKassouf
    Laura Harvey sounds confident that Megan Rapinoe will go to the Olympics, but won't play #NWSL beforehand. #USWNT

5:46 PM - 19 Jun 2016

She'll be 31 come July 5th. I agree coming back early may shorten her career, but realistically she probably won't be around much longer, especially to be 35 at the next WC.

This is the end of the line for Meghan, she'll retire after this summer I bet.

10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    There were blurbs out there about Rapinoe wanting to retire soon.
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    She's one of those players that wants to have her hobbies off the field AND have soccer too.
    She still wants to have her cake and eat it too.

But if she does retire, Pugh is one outside mid for the future.
    Does Sanchez get groomed there, or does Ohai finally get called up?
    I'm not buying Christen Press being converted there full time. That's not her best position.

McCaffrey is an interesting choice, but she trips over her own feet half the time she starts a run. :D
    And what spot in the midfield do you plug Lavelle into?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Only if her production gets better than no goals and one assist for the season.

No idea if it's her or the system they play in, but that doesn't get you noticed.

12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    How many successful wingers had you seen play at an elite international level at 35?
    seriously..any? in the history of the sport? it's not the GK or center back we're talking about.

I think Dunn, Pugh and Heath will have the starting flank position locked up for the near future. There's 3 long years between the Oly's and the next WC which could be on Rapinoes side or she could age like everyone else.

I don't think Rose has ever played winger for college or youth national teams, would be interesting to see. she turns, spins on a dime and gets past folks fairly easily.

13. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Lavelle unproven yet at the senior level. I really like her. She was the class of the last u20 WC team in my opinion. Why do we think Horan isn't a target forward? Never understood why French didn't play Lavelle under Horan when Pugh couldn't make it 2 years up as an attacking center mid. One might consider the answer, because Ellis doesn't play her there? I hope Lavelle is the creative ten that I have been waiting to see emerge for the US, but not sure she has enough to make it yet or not. Will be eagerly watching when she gets her chance. Also will be watching her play at Wisconsin whete she is certainly a fan fave.

14. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Sorry got off post. Always liked Rapinoe as a spark of technical magic has always surrounded her. But yes time to look deeply into the country for others like her as she ages. I believe they are there.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    i agree here.
    although i thought in their final match they did use Horan as a reserved forward and pushed lavelle up....

I thought franch was a huge disservice to the last team, hopefully this year will be different.

Ok, sorry to get off topic.

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 jackdoggy, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

I love Megan Rapinoe. No, thats not quite right.
    I love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, LOVE, love, love, love, love, love Megan Rapinoe.
    I love her subconscious.
    I love her Starbucks coffee cup that she threw away 3 months ago.
    I love her dog Chichi.
    I love her blonde hair - or as Arlo White would say.....her "shock of blonde haaaaaa".

And as Ole alluded to above, when she receives an outlet pass on the wing on a full gallop, I absolutely love the buzz she creates in the Stadium as everyone moves to the edge of their seats, its like Holy S. something special is about to happen....it is palpable.

17. ziggy1010

ziggy1010 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I loved that she actually decided to invest some energy defending in the semis and final of the 2015 WWC. I agree with others above that think this is the end of the line for Rapinoe, whether she wants that or not. I suspect she knows that which is why she will pull every string to be on the team going to Rio (i.e. veteran entitlement, repayment for past service, etc). Unlike WWC, it's not as easy to accommodate given the small roster size. But I would prefer JE to call a spade a spade, rather than some nonsensical rationale for how she's game fit. They would need to play her in some role where they don't expect a defending or put others around her to do that work and let her freelance and take corner kicks.

18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    how easily people forget she showed up to every WC match, she was the best player in the group stages, hands down...(when Lloyd was absolutely horrible.)

19. ziggy1010

ziggy1010 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I would say one of the best players. Sauerbrunn was up there too and consistent throughout. And in my mind, Rapinoe should get as much credit as Lloyd for Lloyd's set piece goals in the final -- some wicked, hard to defend service. The midfield that finally came together late in WC (after Lloyd was moved up) of Brian, Holiday, Rapinoe and Heath was very solid. If we still were lucky enough to have that foursome in tact, healthy and fit for Rio, we would have been hands down, prohibitive favorites. C'est la vie.

20. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cliveworshipper repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    After u get past the question of is Rapinoe actually ready to play in a big international tournament, the next question u have to ask is is she going to be productive in a reserve role? It's hard for me to imagine Rapinoe starting at the OG. First I dont see her getting fit enough and second that would mean sitting Pugh and blocking her development. So if this is the case and Pinoe makes the 18, will she be productive coming off the bench in the second half? Considering how little she will have played will she be able to quickly get herself into matches and make an impact?

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Funny, I looked at that and thought in meant starting Pugh.

taosjohn repped this.
  23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    it's a shame Rapinoe isnt ready as Id be in favor of throwing all the bubble players/question marks out there against South Africa and give them a chance to make a public impression.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    By beating South Africa?