Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only because Juve always manages to sell their garbage for big amounts to smaller Italian sides. Its ridiculous. We don’t have that luxury.........or fraud.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good to me. Two places I really would like to go. But if I don't make it, you can send me the bill.

3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Why would they want a lot of the dregs they buy?

Be interesting to see how Barca go once they lose their once in a generation talisman.

4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With 8 league games to go and a tricky 2nd leg of the Europa League vs. Rennes on Thursday, it seems the focus for the club and the benchmark for Emery's success this year has become Champions League qualification, whether it's by Top 4 or winning the Europa League.

And while I think its a fair goal to set for the squad, by no means is it a guarantee that we achieve it. So I guess the question is, if we don't reach the goal of Champions League football, would you consider this season a failure; and would you have said the same back in August?

5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes a failure. Yes, I would have said the same in August. Emery was given the money to spend to improve on Wenger's worst ever season. If his final finishes are no better than Wenger's worst ever season, then I will consider it a failure, even if the points total in the league is better.

Having said that, it's only his first season, so I don't want him gone or anything, just that his 1st season would count as a failure for me.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wouldn’t call it a failure as we have improved in certain aspects and it’s his first full year

Look at the calibur of teams in the top 6 and our squad. I think we are doing about as well as can be expected

Shen-O and NorthBank repped this.
  7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many points better this season, +12 before the United match right? Or was it after? Either way, even without top 4 while it may not have been a smashing success... it's moving in the right direction. Arsenal don't have the squad to be performing MUCH better than where they are currently at. You could argue some results here or there should be better, but you could say that about everyone in the league.

Lots to address this summer... especially the backline. But still, successful transition season, for my outsider's perspective. And could still maybe steal top 4! Which would be huge, for summer recruitment and in general.

Shen-O and NorthBank repped this.
  8. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think 'certain aspects' improving is such a low bar given the money Emery has had to spend.

It is also especially worrying given the fact that most of the money he's spent is on the defense, yet statistically, our defense is no better than Wenger's worst season.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a graphic that was on Sky Sports News on Monday(?) which had the stats through 30 games, comparing Wenger in 2018 to Emery in 2019. On each of 8 or so stats we were better under emery. Points, Standing, Goal Diff, Top 6 victories, etc, etc, etc.

I just tried to find that chart to post it but came up dry.

Anyway, I don't see how you can look at those comparative numbers and say that it's a failure.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1105256682022686720 is not a valid tweet id

NorthBank repped this.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The performance vs. top 6 is the biggest difference.

Underlying data suggests that Arsenal were better under Wenger against non-top 6 teams.

thebigman repped this.
  12. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think we will finish 3rd, and I dontd know how I feel about it.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Arsenal were the top team for points in calendar year 2013. That was a serious good side which declined heavily in the years that followed

IMO if Wenger had purchased an elite striker in 2013 he might have won something

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or if RVP wasn’t a gigantic snake

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he did... he went on to win 3 FA Cups.

16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we just threw money at Suarez, we would've won the league for sure.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one am glad Luis Suarez never played for Arsenal Football Club.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For reals. For all our faults, most of our scumbags over the last decade have been more idiots (Bendtner, Wilshere) than racists or violent prats.

19. mark_ward

mark_ward New Member

Arsenal
    England
    Mar 11, 2019
    totally agree

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on track...

Serious KUDOS to Emery for putting out a creative attacking side in the last 2 hugely crucial matches, and winning them both!!

It's mid-March and he's got us in 4th place (with out fate in our hands) and into the last 8 of Europa Cup.

OK, it's not like we're absolutely tearing things up. Sure we can't quite declare a successful season yet. But he deserves props for getting us where we are right now.

maskito and ArsenalJake repped this.
  21. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    People keep saying 6th is a fail, no CL is a fail, but what expectations do we have for next season should we finish 3/4 and win the EL?

22. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, it depends on how we spend in the summer. The reason I expect more from him this year is because
    1) We did spend a lot of money
    2) I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a new manager to do better than the last guy who did so poorly he got fired

If supported, what I'd look for next season is top 4 again, do well in the UCL (at least quarter-finals, unless we play someone really tough in R16) and most importantly, a clearer sense of our football style and the ability to dominate games now and then. This whole season has been grinding one result after another.

Winning a domestic cup is a bonus. I won't hold it against him if we don't, but definitely a lot of extra love if he can bring in a trophy. In fact, if all he does this season is win the EL, even if we finish 7th, I'd consider it a success.

23. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    This is what I said before the season started, and there is no reason to move the goal post now. I think Emery is on track to having a success season, although nothing is guaranteed yet, and some of my parameters for success have not been met.

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just me but the measure is less about table standing and more about improvement on the field. Does the side look like they're developing as players and as a team? Are they moving to fix errors and get players who fit needs rather than are just considered good values? Are they actively working to get trophies or simply trying to just win enough to stay solvent?

Show me progress and an intent to win and I'll worry less about 5th or 3rd for a particular season.