Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't think Wenger ever completely lost the dressing room, and Emery had obviously done that a month ago. How long somebody survives losing the dressing room is more of an indictment of their bosses IMO

Have to correct my assertion on Freddie, apparently he does have all the requisite coaching licenses so he could manage us for the rest of the season

fari, DaPrince84 and mebeSajid repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hallelujah! To Emery's sacking, Freddie's appointment, and his full badges.

That us hopefully the end to the bleakest period if Arsenal football in memory.

Can I make a motion that we don't endlessly relitigate Emery's effect on our club, and it's future, like was done with Wenger?

Happy Holidays. :)

fari and The Foo Fighter repped this.
  3. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    He was only was here for 18 months compared to 22 years so that wouldn't be necessary or appropriate. He was a good guy so I wish Unai the best in whatever managerial job he has next.

fari and mebeSajid repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger was our best ever manager and the reason the Emirates stadium still exists. He won the league at Old Trafford and, in our most famous season, won the league at White Hart Lane. That stuff only ever happens in cheesy movies.

Subsequent Arsenal managers will be compared to him until one comes along who is better. Even at the very end of his tenure, when he clearly needed to go, a significant portion of the fan base either: a) wanted him to stay, or b) was sad to see him go.

fari, danielh, casoccerdad47 and 3 others repped this.
  5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Saw an interesting piece on Freddie in the U23s, where there was a real learning curve and some really tough results early on, followed by the team turning into a juggernaut and blowing teams away.

I'm happy to have Freddie see out the season, especially if the alternative is Nuno.

fari and Super Llama repped this.
  6. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Emery is gone, can we reinstate Koscielny into Arsenal's good graces?

Can he really be faulted now for standing up for himself, knowing what Emery's plans were for him in his final year(s) as a player?

One could make the argument he saw the writing on the wall before many others did.

7. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    On one hand yes, on the other hand he was captain, I wonder how the results would have gone with his leadership in the change room.

8. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think there are many people ready to forgive him. Or Xhaka for that matter, and to be honest, they don't deserve it.

Koscielny could acted like a professional, and captain, and gone on tour, smiled, waved, and had his agent work to secure his exit. No need to throw a tantrum. Emery being a shit manager doesn't excuse bad behavior from others.

fari, NorthBank and chjoak repped this.
  9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ROFL

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mans a sexy beast, so yea.

Super Llama repped this.
  11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I always supported Lolo.

Super Llama, casoccerdad47 and Shen-O repped this.
  12. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be interesting to see how quickly the team reverts into something resembling a football squad. Is that Wenger DNA still present? Will they have some of that free-flowing play come back as soon as this weekend with the shackles off?

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yes

At least the players won't cringe every time they look at their manager

Super Llama repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed that he was a decent guy, though somewhere between ineffectual and damaging. And yes his impact should be so much less, thus should induce much less discussion going forward. I do suspect he's going to have to reinvent himself at a lower level having 2 high-profile failures in a row.

Also agreed, but I don't see the point in judging the current club/team performance, as dependent on something Wenger did or didn't do. It's nearly 2 years on, we have a very different squad, management structure, and last but not least another new coach... finally!

I'm just saying let's put our focus on the present and the future, rather than the past. Let's get behind Freddie and try to forget about how poor Emery was and how he deserves blame for where we are. In short, let's move on. As positively as we can. :)

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think Emery was a jerk

DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to shut this thread down so that all post-Emery manager discussions take place in the "Next Man Up" thread.

maskito and GunnerJacket repped this.