Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I think you guys may be mis interpreting my post. Wengers flaws largely were personel related for me. He trusted the players, but no longer signed trustworthy players. The personel has changed immensely in the last 12 months and I think AW would have benefited from it just as Emery has.

Given we are just 4 points ahead of AW from last year this time, I don’t think that is a stretch to say that Auba, torriera, miki, and sokratis would have been worth 4+ points to AW. I also think he would have gotten more out of ozil and Ramsey because he knows those players better than Emery. So ya, while I do think Emery is doing well for his first half a season, I don’t think currently he’s done anything arsene wouldn’t have done except breathe new life into the stale vacuum of the club.

Shen-O and ArsenalJake repped this.
  2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Every team is gassed at this time of year and the shit defenders aren't the ones that only created one shot in the second half yesterday.

3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Emery has made more positive substitutions than negatives. How many times would we watch matches and Wenger refused to mix up a team not working until the 70th minute when we would already be 1 or 2 down?

thebigman repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Holding and Mustafi injuries hurt us: we relied on them (and Bellerin) to pass through the lines. Sokratis and Koscielny aren't nearly as good at that. We're going to get absolutely shellacked tomorrow.

thebigman repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Good point. It helps explain why At the end of the first half against Brighton, Ozil started dropping deeper into the midfield to pick up the ball. I think it's also all the more reason to play Ozil and/or Ramsey. My preference would actually be to play them both. Arsenal have three wins against teams currently in the top eight, Tottenham, Leicester, and Everton. Ozil had a goal and an assist against Leicester. He also contributed four key passes in the 1-1 draw with Liverpool. Ramsey had two assists against both Tottenham and Everton. Ransey still leads the team in assists in spite of the fact he has played less than 700 minutes.

Arsenal are going to get shellacked either way, I'd rather they go down attacking than playing like a Mourinho coached side with three defensive midfielders.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  6. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I’d play them both too. Might as well get the most out of what we have now.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I heard this recently. Very notable and laudable. I don't care what Aaron's contract history is... use him while we've got him!

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1078788574974173184 is not a valid tweet id

9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    It’s funny right, XG is trending up, XGA is trending down yet fans are seeing us getting worse every game it seems.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah emery has not even been here 6 months and we have lots of player and contract issues as a result of aengers legacy

Let’s not forget we haven’t been close to a premier league title for over a decade and cl since 06

I’m giving emery the whole of next season

If there is no improvement then, sack him

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is why u have to watch matches and use xg because we can see with the eye how we dominate but are so easily countered from our own corners etc

Playing a guy like xhaka at cb etc

Just not working

12. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I agree there is a lot more than the XG shows going on lately. With our thin defense Emery has set us up to be defensively sound at the cost of attack. But it has backfired mostly bc we have a lot of defensive errors lately. I count 4 errors that lead directly to a goal in the last 6 league games. That’s absurd. Plus some poor individual defending on another couple of goals and the atrocious individual defending in the league cup.

I fully expect Raul and Sven to help Emery our with the defense in the next two windows. In attack, I’m not sure they will give him much unless they offload ozil and Ramsey.

I think the amount of time he gets will depend on the resources spent to help him. Like you said, he is left with a legacy situation that even the best managers would have trouble with. I think he gets a full season once the club gives him a decent squad. That may actually take the full three years (is that his contract term?).

thebigman repped this.
  13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can see the trends, and maybe it gets better, but my takeaway is that we were much better under Wenger (had this conversation elsewhere that we were really good in the first half of last season, and this data suggests that's the case).

I'm currently underwhelmed by Emery. He has no idea how manage top players, as the situation with Ozil shows.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  14. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe that you still side with Ozil in this whole debacle.

The man is literally not ever healthy enough to contribute to this team on a consistent basis.

What else would you like Emery to do? Bring some professional blood dopers into the club to take care of Mesut's chronic whateverthe********itisitis?

Like seriously Mebe.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mebe is delusional about wenger

He would be in the same or worse situation

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don’t think he is.

Wenger wouldn’t have done worse with this team.

17. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Worse.

thebigman repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Over the first half of last season, Arsenal were significantly better than they have been this season. The wheels came off after the Alexis swap.

We can guess all we want, but the most likely comparison we have is the season over season comparison.

And it’s crystal clear Emery has no idea what he’s doing, and doesn’t get the need for rest. At this point, Emery is Spanish for Moyes.

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    When comparing Wenger's last season and Emery's first. Emery has had a nice run of unbeaten games that Wenger couldn't replicated in the last couple of seasons. But, the underlying data doesn't reflect a significant improvement.

Even before the defensive injuries there wasn't a noticeable improvement in the goals allowed stats when compared to last season. After the first half of the season Arsenal were on track to allow 50 goals, one fewer than last season. . So the run of unbeaten games was largely attributable to an improvement in goals scored. After 19 games Arsenal are on track to score 8 more goals than they scored last season, but that improvement is almost certainly attributable to PEA's 27% conversion rate and Wenger only had PEA for 13 games at the end of last season. The underlying offensive data are not as good under Emery as they were in Wenger's last season.

Under Wenger, on a per game average, Arsenal created 2.5 more shots, 1.4 more shots on target, 1.8 more shots from within the penalty area, and 1.8 more key passes and they allowed 1.7 fewer shots by the opposition last season than the current team after 19 games this season.

So maybe Wenger wouldn't have been as successful with this team as Emery, but there is certainly no data to support that conclusion

20. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Again, Wenger made players play worse. I am sorry, but I have lost all confidence in that guy. I've seen enough of his management style to have that opinion. I like him as a person, but good riddance.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    EAE84620-BA2D-4899-9258-89ED45464DCE.jpeg Mebe and Prince being ott lol

Wenger was shit. He was finished for years

How many times did we have a good half season then fall off? So boring, at least emery is bringing in new ideas and marking mostly good subs (apart from recently)

He had the ozil bs to deal with and a terrible back line. He cannot work miracles, don’t forget how improved the other big sides are too

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wenger was terrible, he was stale and refused to adapt. He didn’t believe in dof and refused to change his play style

Combine that with shit chairmen/owners and u get years of complacency

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do not disagree what you’re saying about Wenger.

I’m saying Emery is objectively worse, both in attack and defense. We’ve gotten extremely lucky this season, that’s all.

24. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how you can say that about Emery. It's been six months with a team that has been steadily declining for three years.

[​IMG]

25. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thing is, improving the defense is not actually a very high bar. Wenger's last season with us had very bad defense. So for Emery to be on course to an even worse defensive record takes some doing. And he's got Lucas 'finally the DM we need' Torreira as well.

I agree with mebe here:
    1. Wenger was bad
    2. Emery has been no better
    3. Unless Emery improves, he's not good enough

DaPrince84 repped this.