Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Overlapping with the transfer thread? My guy you need to ban yourself for overlapping with the Praet thread

Shen-O and DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking forward to the new season, but Emery would have to really, really improve this team for me to think he deserves anything more than his initial two years.

I think my pipe dream is for Freddie to be given a chance after Emery. I realize he'll be completely unproven, but we were already prepared to do it with Arteta.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Praet is apparently Flemish for Suarez.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting sentiment from Bellerin - but have we improved from these days?

Big fap piece about Freddie and the "transition team" in the G yesterday

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me get this thread going..... I really have doubts about Emery vision and this since his days at PSG. The dude was all over the place there and nobody could pint point exactly what is football philosophy was.
    Now at Arsenal, he seems to be following the same pattern. Just this season he started 4 different line ups and at least 2 different set ups. There is no consistency even less continuity. One has to wonder if he even has a plan A.

Super Llama repped this.
  6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has a plan, but the plan is to react. It’s why arsenal struggle to create against bad teams.

Super Llama, DaPrince84, Shen-O and 2 others repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am still reacting to that hair

How can you get paid millions and have a non-elite haircut?

8. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    More importantly. Charlie is here.

danielh, mebeSajid and charlie15 repped this.
  9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (the benefit is shrinking steadily) until I see how we look with Bellerin and Tierney in the XI. But as Andrew and Tayo mentioned in the Arsecast today, he's running out of excuses.

charlie15 repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should definitely finish the season and be judged on both results and performance. The club has to be in the Top 4, anything less will be considered a major failure. In addition, all Arsenal fans would like to see and more inventive if not adventurous team, at least able to control the tempo of a game and impose its gameplan and will. The play so far is way too reactive and unimaginative for my taste.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When we have a fit squad I’m hoping he plays a certain style

I’m a supporter of his but am waiting To be proved right

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think all the front office changes are more important than Emery

14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #514 Shen-O, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    I don’t want to judge him based on the fullbacks
    I’ll judge him on what midfield he continues to select

Super Llama repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that if we miss out on UCL, either by being out of top 4 or not winning UEL, then Emery will be let go.

He was given a pass on delivering that this year. You could maybe argue that he got us close in Baku but that was a very large fail in my book.

So Kroenkes backed his project big time in this past window. A huge and pleasant surprise. All or nothing.

I'm not sure Emery cares much whether the fans don't like our style of play. And I'm not sure the Kroenkes care that much either.

I think for them it's all about UCL qualification and improving our standing in the league.

I think the biggest mystery is how we really didn't address our problems in central defense, and Kos's last-minute departure only compounded that inaction.

But you probably can't hang either of those two things on Emery.

16. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we can hang on him is that his ‘tactics’ have consistently blunted the attack, ostensibly in the name of greater security, while never actually improving the defense.

Emery raus.

17. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting that this thread always seems to resurface during the International breaks.

It occurred to me while reading thru today's comments, that despite our new manager being on a short leash and only having one full season under his belt, he's already more tenured than either of his counterparts at Chelsea and Yanited.

With Emery being two points clear of these rivals thru 4 weeks, it should be entertaining this season to see not only which team(s) make the top 4, but also which manager(s) make it thru the entire season.

18. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

charlie15 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of doom and gloom around here, so I'll just offer the following:

Thru 4 weeks last season we were on 6 points, good for 9th in the table, 1 goal better than United in 10th, 3 points behind Spurs, 4 behind City, and 6 behind Liverpool and Chelsea.

This season thru 4 weeks we are on 7 points, good for 5th in the table, 2 points clear of United, Spurs, and Chelsea, 3 points behind City and 5 behind Liverpool.

The 1 point difference isn't much, but the fact we're ahead of 3 of our rivals seems significant. Even the 22 game unbeaten run last season didn't move the needle against our rivals. thru week 16 last year when we finally lost to Southampton, we were still behind Spurs, Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

So 4 weeks into a new season, we may still have our issues, but we're putting points on the board and we're putting our rivals in the rear view mirror. We're shedding players who cannot help us and we're still waiting for the ones who can to get healthy and integrate into our squad. Better times are ahead of us, and if they're not, we'll fire Emery and go from there.

But I for one am not longing for Arsene Wenger. That broken record is long gone, and I don't get the impression this new regime has an appetite for another broken record.

maskito repped this.
  20. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No one is calling for Wenger. We're wondering if Emery is the right guy to take us forward.

charlie15 repped this.
  21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious way to bring Wenger to this convo. This is the past. The discussion is about Emery's football philosophy or lackthereof and it is a legitimate question.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. Some people around here always seem to find a way to bring the convo (and blame) back to Wenger. One person in particular... you know who you are. ;) Time to move on! As was the case 15 months ago.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey now. I'm just saying that if we're going to be mediocre, we might as well be mediocre with someone who's a club legend, went undefeated for a whole season, and won the league at both Old Trafford and White Hart Lane.

Because mediocre is Emery's ceiling.

DaPrince84, Tonerl and Shen-O repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO: You weren't the one I was thinking of. Note that I had said "blame" in my previous comment... you tend towards the opposite.

That said, I do feel pretty strongly that we should resist the temptation of bringing everything back to Wenger. And especially in a thread about Emery and the new regime. The Wenger/Gazidis era is over, and it's relevance to current Arsenal is diminishing swiftly.

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that sarcasm? I don't have my sarcasm meter on today. ;)

Joke aside though, I really wonder sometimes if Emery can be a big club manager. I am far from being convinced.