Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigredfutbol and NorthBank repped this.
  2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, we have three wins against teams each of whom are going to be fighting relegation for a long time at best. Given how we started, the results since then are basically the minimum acceptable to be credible for any of the season's goals.

What is clearly moving in the right direction, imo, is the players' commitment to Emery, both about his leadership of Arsenal and for their own individual development.

At a lower level, we still have a mistmatch between our talent and the system we play in. On the plus of that however, when we do get the ball forward, we are doing a pretty decent job of creating chances and finishing them.

3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That minimum level of acceptable is a level higher than the results have been for the last 2 years.

GunnerJacket and Kanuuuu repped this.
  4. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not saying that it's impossible that we could finish top 4 or win the League, or whatever (80 points in the League for me). What I am saying is that we'd lose credibility to those ends, both inside and outside the club.

5. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose in reality most Arsenal fans will be ecstatic if we win the games that we are supposed to. Anything more than that would be a bonus!

6. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the International break upon us, its as good a time as any to reflect on the state of things so far this season.

After taking it on the chin as expected from City and Chelsea to open the season, the Arsenal have responded exceptionally well.

When Crazy "the profit" 150 stepped up to lead the match day threads in late August, he labeled them Project 24. Eight straight league games we are favored to win. How will we fare? It seemed like an interesting question then, and now with 6 of the 8 already won there's a bit more intrigue to it. Can they win the rest?

If you add the other 3 games to the mix (may as well, we were favored in all of them too) that's 9 straight victories against teams we should beat.

The media are ripe with praise for our manager and the fans are singing "we've got our Arsenal back". It truly has been a joy these past several weeks, to the point where the focus isn't even on the fact that Kroenke took over 100% of the club, and Gazidis left for AC Milan.

It's amazing what winning can do to change one's perspective. So, has this current run of results changed your perspective? Has your benchmark for success this season changed at all?

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next 6 league fixtures are all at least fairly interesting, overall it makes for a rough stretch that will shine some real light on the state of things.

As for right this minute though... so far so good!

8. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After many many years of inept Wengerball, I had ZERO positive expectations , I made myself prepared for a Moyes type of season
    Really impressed with our threee MFs especially the Uruguayan, the coherent, organized play that still pushes forward . Emery is not afraid of yanking stars if they play is not up to snuff. No 84th minute 1st sub, amazing.

People can say what they want about the easy 24 points, but we would have dropped some of those last two years surely .

I still have no meaningf expectations , probsbly better that way.

How nice just to watch games for the sheer enjoyment of it

9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    7 actually. These 21 points is where the rubber meets the road. While I don’t worry so much about our goal scoring, this stretch will see us come up against quality strikers. If we give them the opportunities that we have given the last 9 teams we will drop a lot of points over the stretch.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    This is what I said before the season started. Current status in bold

In summary, we look on pace to reach most of the benchmarks I had in mind. Couple that with the current win streak and some fun games to watch and I’m very happy with the start. Will it last? I suspect we will have a rough patch or two this season, but I’m optimistic that my expectations above will be met.

11. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically we've already been thru a rough patch :ROFLMAO:.
    Isn't it amazing what a good run of form can do!

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #37 GunnerJacket, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    For my money this is huge. If a team is properly progressing and in a position to qualify for European play then there are a lot of teams in the league they should beat, but under Wenger's dying years we didn't have that. Too many matches against "lesser" competition that essentially became a coin flip meant we couldn't tell if the team was improving or if they had a plan. Consistently beating the teams you should beat, however, indicates a team that knows it's strengths and weaknesses and learns to manage them, which means they also know what to improve upon as they look to move up the table over time.

As my grandfather put it, you can't climb the ladder without first securing yourself on the current rung. Arsenal are securing themselves for the first time in years, which makes me feel a LOT better about the side and the direction they're headed.

maskito repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We would draw or lose a lot of games late on like Bournemouth or Watford in recent times under wenger

We just seem a bit more clinical and see these games out better (conceding goals is still an issue)

It will be interesting g to see how we take on Liverpool and Utd

We should’ve beaten Chelsea

14. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Halfway through his first season so I guess it’s time to do a little mid year review.

Of the points I listed I’d give him a B-. We are scoring goals and I like some of what he is doing. It’s not always working well and now we are injured and tired it’s working even less well. The defensive errors are reall mounting and I think he needs some real help from Sven and Raul in the next two windows for us to move forward.

That said, we’ve played pretty well in the big games which is a welcome change. Three of the four new signings have been great. And we are just two points off of fourth halfway through the season. We also have 4 more points than last season this time.

All in all, I’m fairly content with what’s going on. Ironically, I think arsene maybe could have done a little more with this squad because torriera and Guen would have been great for AW.

Major disappointments so far have been ozil, Rameys not working out, iwobi’s drop after a promising start, nketieh/AMN/ESR inability to break into the squad in a real way, and the injury situation.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I’m sorry, but we don’t create chances we just finish at an absurd clip that we have to hope can be sustained.

We don’t defend well despite setting up in a defensive stance.

Idk, Emery really hasn’t convinced me of anything. He looks like a Spanish Dyche.

The only thing I will give him props for is that this group has more fight and self belief. It’s sad though because he can’t seem to work with strong creative players.

I think Wenger would have done more with this group.

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  16. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, which Arsene Wenger are you both referring to? If the current Arsene Wenger still knew how to get more out of players, he wouldn't have been shown the door.

In fact there might only be two things Emery has consistently shown to do better than Arsene Wenger so far this season: 1) he prepares for each match and has a game plan, and 2) he knows how to get more out of players.

thebigman repped this.
  17. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he, though? By what measure?

This is a stronger squad on paper than Wenger had last year, yet the underlying data is (significantly) worse and we’re barely better off in terms of results so far.

This is not to say I wanted Wenger to stay or that I’m done with Emery. I’m not giving up on him, but he has yet to convince me of any of the things he’s being credited for.

Walia Ibex, yossarian, mebeSajid and 2 others repped this.
  18. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still in holiday mode so I'm not going to dig up any reasearch. It's not like I had any in my back pocket anyway. I would base this largely on what I've seen on the pitch since mid-August, including our losses at the start of the season.

All I really wanted from a new manager this season was a different narrative on the pitch. Wenger's last 4 seasons (apart from FA Cups) we're basically the same. You didn't have to watch the games. You knew what would happen before the games were played. And you were right, every time. It made Arsenal boring to follow.

This season has been a joy to watch and for me, and it's because we seem to have a game plan every week, and we play with the energy necessary to win.

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Which players would those be? Ozil and Ramsey? Iwobi? Mhiki? Emery has had PEA and Lacazette from the start of the season, Wenger only had Lacazette from the start of the season. Of the players Wenger had available you could maybe argue that Xhaka, Kola, and Holding have been better. Xhaka's improvement is probably due to his pairing with Torreira and/or Guendouzi. Holding showed promise under Wenger, that seems to be realized under Emery, but it could be nothing more than the maturation of a young defender. I will concede that Kola has been better under Emery. Emery trusts him while Wenger didn't.

Finally, in spite of the fact that Arsenal added two defensive midfielders and a central defender during the summer window and Emery was supposed to be able to better organize the defense, Arsenal are currently on track to allow one fewer goal than they allowed last season.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  20. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ayyyyyyyyyy

21. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really all you needed to say. You wanted a new narrative; you got it.

Just don't pretend it's anything other than that.

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Look, I was a big proponent of AW leaving. But I won’t diminish his ability to extract something magical from the right group of players. For me, AW’s major downfall was he no longer had the personel he needed and refused to get them until too late or sign depth. Auba would be a great Wenger player but it was two seasons too late, ditto for laca. Torreira would be amazing in an AW system, but he never would sign him. Sokrat is no world beater, but is miles beyond any AW CB signed since Kos maybe? He also doubled down on lost causes and refused to substitute/rotate poorly performing players quickly enough.

It’s just my opinion, but I do think if we gave Arsène the same squad he would have done as well or better than Emery so far. Familiarity of the players, knowledge of the league and schedule are multipoint advantages over an incoming manager. That’s said, I don’t want him back and actually it’s a tribute to Emery that’s he’s been able to hold us where we are in his first months at the club. Despite creating less as @DaPrince84 points out, we have more points and closer to the top than last season this time so I’ll take it.

Klop didn’t take pool to challengers over night and neither will Emery. They’ve given Klop time and spent money as well. We will need to do the same if we want to move up.

23. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Our players consistently underperformed during Wenger’s reign. They would have this year as well. Actually, players seemed to get worse under him.

Y’all are trippin’.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wenger didn’t make good subs for the most part

Emery has a gassed squad full of shit defenders

He is an upgrade. Let’s give him some actual time? The Brighton game was horrific management though

25. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still feel like those arguing Wenger would have done more with this team are referring to the Wenger who won 3 titles, not the Wenger from the past 5 seasons.

I've happily moved on from Arsene Wenger and wish him the best wherever he lands.

wanye_stirrear repped this.