MD8: Roma - Napoli (October 14th, 2017)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Oct 12, 2017.

1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Its hard to say ifs its a training problem. You'd like to think that high end professionals have got the basics covered and if there was a problem they would see it.

Look at the list of players,

SES got injured on international duty, Strootman as a center mid plays hard, niggling injuries happen, Karsdorp was bought injured and Schnick has had niggling complaints since his arrival while Perotti was butchered. I just dont see it as being anything more than the luck of the game.

2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a few years now this has been going on. Also, SES was injured (slightly) before going the the NT.. he should never have gone.

I don't know what it is but when you have so many players getting injured so often I think it's at least worthwhile for JP or Monchi to at least consult with experts.... No stone unturned.

3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We barely got any injuries under Spaletti, everyone was fit other than the occasional knee imploding, which is by the way a big factor that contributed to our results under him but never get taken in consideration.

wm72 repped this.
  4. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeh to be honest Mertens is starting to get on my nerves with all his acting.

5. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I agree mostly that we were unlucky with injuries, and we contained them pretty well, but it's still annoying to continue the Spalletti habit of losing to all the top teams (obviously I don't consider Milan a top team).

6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    What are you talking about, Milan is a top team in the bottom 14.

rougou and Java65 repped this.
  7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That is the big danger with inter. They have rode there luck so far. It usually takes Spalletti sometime to get his team rolling and generally he drops points at the start of a season before having a strong middle and end. If they become the slick passing attacking side which I see no reason why they wont, Spalletti is that good , then Inter are good enough to push all the way.

wm72 repped this.
  8. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Napoli really targeted Manolas and Jesus with their press. Both are pretty poor playing out from the back. I don't think they're even looking into the midfield, just hoping to dump the ball on DDR or a fullback. Could Moreno be that bad that he can't take time from Jesus?

Pellegrini is coming along nicely. Solid passing to break the press.

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness to both of them the MF were not really doing much off the ball in the first half. In the second half we saw a much better DDR and we broke them down much better. Their passing may have not been good but, I'm old fashioned, give me defenders who can actually defend even if they aren't great passers.

We held one of the highest scoring teams in Europe to their lowest goal total of the season.

10. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DDR had to step back and hold their hands. I don't need Marco Verratti at CB, but I need more than that. EDF's system asks for contributions from everyone in both phases.

No argument on the MF. Off the ball, we're usually poor and have been since Pjanic left. Pellegrini is still learning and getting comfortable. You don't walk into a midfield like ours and demand the keys to the machine right away.

11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if it's not time for DDR to start making the move to CB. AT 34 I'm not sure he has the legs to play that position anymore. Strootman isn't the same since his injuries but I think he has all the qualities to play the DM position, and the brain too.

12. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DDR just isn't a banger. He's not physical enough to play CB other than playing libero in a pinch.

Shen-O and ErPupone repped this.
  13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Andreas ... Chelsea v Roma, don't make me pull out the "You're Fired" bit again. ;)

Andreas repped this.
  14. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    The bad luck scudetto, we hit the post 9 times in 7 games so far.

IMG_5358.JPG

15. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    We are cursed.

16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly Roma needs to narrow the width of the goal by 6 inches during practice. ;)

17. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He could play CB against lower opposition I think.

I don't want him to though, as I still think he's miles better than anyone else at DM for our club.

Salmeen10 repped this.
  18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    People like to hate on him, he is still very good and will be really hard to replace next year. Some can't over that he is old and slow and sometimes makes mistakes, but he is still the best DM in the league.

Other than the error on the goal, I thought he had a better game than Ninja, who was gassed out in the last 15 minutes for some reason.

wm72 and ErPupone repped this.
  19. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, I don't get. I think it might be because people don't really understand the position. In many ways, it's the hardest to judge to the untrained, or lazy eye.

He's undoubtedly one of the best DM's of his generation. Growing up I tried to model my game after Roy Keane and then De Rossi.

He's right up there with Totti for me. ---In the sense that they were both amongst the very best at their position for a long time.

I always found it funny when people would wonder why De Rossi seemed to play better for the national squad. It's simple, he allows himself to do more because he's playing with better players. He's not playing 'better' per say, he just could showcase more of his attributes.

The amount of personal sacrifice he's given is insane, and when you really 'look at the tape', you realize just how ridiculously complete a player he is/was.

Hopefully, people realize this before he's gone.

wm72 repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are showing the replay of this game again. Just saw DeRossi's yellow.

21. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    DDR gets hate because he's deliberately switched off and quit countless times on plays, games and/or coaches.

Midfield General repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You know, DeRossi is getting older. Unlike Totti who played forward, Daniele's position is pretty demanding for a 34 year old especially when trying to play for club and country.