MD4: Roma vs Chievo (September 16th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Sep 15, 2018.

1. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    EDF out?

Watching EDF's Roma i'm reminded of Zeman, and how he tried to impart a philosophy but basically couldn't get the players on board.

Compared with a manager like Rudi who had all the players on board, but no philosophy.

We look exactly the same as last season, the team was riding their luck at the beginning of last season too with Kolarov free kicks and grinding out victories with our defence playing above their potential.

The CBs just look awful to me this season, Fazio seems past it, Juan Jesus is fine but very slow and cumbersome... Marcano hasn't broken into the team either.

I thought Pellegrini and Cristante grew into the game as it went on, but the attack looked so stale, there is just no movement. Florenzi chipped in with his usual once every 5 games accurate cross.

El sharaawy just can't go past a player at all, i'm mystified by such a skillful and quick winger being unable to dribble an opponent?

2. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Dzeko for me epitomises this Roma side more than any other. Perfectly sound and sometimes even great one minute, complete donkey the next.

When we talk about blame:

Letting Stroot go has and will hurt us. That's all on Monchi I would guess.

EdF doesnt seem to know what he's doing at the moment. But the job of manager is often a thankless one.

But the players go out and play. And they have been sh1t. I look for the right mentality before anything else. Something that has been desperately lacking thus far. Is that EdFs fault? Maybe. I'll just say that I believe in taking personal responsibility and leave it at.

A fire needs to be (self)lit under these players asses quick or this will only get worse.

3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I can't argue that point. I was talking strictly in terms of play. Mentally we are as fragile as a porcelain doll.

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've posted it before; Juve are going to get 90 pts, they just are. That means as a team you get to drop 24 pts before you are officially out of the scudetto race. We have dropped 7 pts already, or nearly 1/3 of the pts we can drop for the season or 17 more points.

The reality is if you drop points, any points, to bottom table teams it make it nearly impossible to even contend for the scudetto. That's why when people argue you must accept dropping points when you make changes to your roster they are essentially arguing that they have given up even competing for the scudetto before the season starts.

whill4 repped this.
  5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I've been arguing it for a long time. Strootman may not be the player he was but what he brings off the field in terms of leadership, attitude, professionalism and accountability cannot be replaced. For my money, Romans be damned, I would have made Strootman my captain.

Haakon24, La Magica and Marko83 repped this.
  6. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well, at least things escalated quickly this time, so that people with lower tolerance towards incompetence could give up on this season now and not bother to be tortured on weekly basis by this joke of a team. From the best to the worst midfield in the league in one summer. Let that sink in.

LordNelson repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't all on Monchi. This group of players is more than talented enough to beat the likes of Chievo. EDF deserves his share of blame.

As I've said, people can argue how to allocate the percentage of the blame between Monchi and EDF but neither of them can be exonerated.

8. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    So Cagliari and SPAL can get shutout wins at home vs Atalanta but EDF goes and ships 3? Embarrassing

JoãozinhoFutebol and LordNelson repped this.
  9. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We haven't had the best midfield since Pjanic left and Strootman's knee debacle.

JoãozinhoFutebol, Shen-O and wm72 repped this.
  10. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, Atalanta are turning out to be less than we all thought. 2-0 loss to SPAL, 1-0 to Cagliari. That draw stings even more right now and this team is in shambles.

11. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    SPAL have 9 points. We have 4. Amazing.

whill4 repped this.
  12. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, as so many people said on this forum - we have had such a HARD start. The teams we have played were real world beaters.

On a real serious note, am I the only one , who can honestly see us not even getting anywhere near 6th ? Seriously now.

L'immortale repped this.
  13. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

We should put last years squad aside, as apart from Alisson, all the other goners were approved by EDF. This years squad he helped construct and it's not performing, he had a full pre season to test everything, but is still tinkering with everything. Shick was probably our most in form attacker in pre season and is still being played out of position.

All in all the squad looks out of shape and our pressing seems very ineffective, Birsa's goal was embarrassing the way he was allowed all that time on the ball.

14. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s fine, we don’t need 6th. UEFA are opening up a third competition. We’ll probably only need to finish 10th!

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    They haven't seemed to recover from being knocked out of Europe yet. They'll get in the flow again soon .

16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Rudis game was more than fine, he had a system that had total control over a game. It wasnt spectacular to watch but it is very difficult to get a team to understand that and do it on the pitch consistently. He just didnt have the wingers with intelligence to break down a team. Everything else was as good as we've had in terms of a manager. Give his team the wingers we have now and you're talking about a team that can challenge.

shiboboo, Shen-O, wm72 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    When it looked like he was going I thought, hhmm maybe this makes sense, I hate the timing, absolutely hate it but maybe it makes sense. Now though I get the feeling his absence has badly altered the dynamic in the squad. It was too much in one summer, just too much.

Haakon24 and Java65 repped this.
  18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m still a bit bitter regarding Rudi. With a bit more support that summer, I think he could still be our coach today. Or maybe even if Perotti had arrived 6 months sooner.

If there was ever a year to take a couple risks and go for the title, that was the one.

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, this teams needs somebody that's going to beat a new attitude into this team and players. This draw comes down to not playing a full 90 mins. We outplayed them completely and just went into cruise control and squandered a win.

This has been a problem for a long time and I'm not sure what the fix is but we never play 90 mins and it kills us.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I said as much on twitter after the goal happened, but it's simply ridiculous that El Sha was the player who made the most effort to close down Birsa on that goal. It's infuriating to watch.

Midgo repped this.