MD4: Roma vs Chievo (September 16th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Sep 15, 2018.

1. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    we suck. no other way to look at it.

2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just not the case. In the first half CV had 50% possession and 9 shots with 2 on target, 89% pass accuracy, 2 chances and 2 shots inside the box.

In the second half CV had 39% possession, 4 shots 3 on target, 0 chances and 85% passing.

Chievo was no where near the better side for the majority of this match

3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, I can't get onboard with the narrative that Chievo outplayed us or were even equal. We clearly out played them for the majority of the match.

TwistedJester and ErPupone repped this.
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, I've been in a foul mood since about 8am. And it's the last day of my vacation. ********in a.

Anyway, I do think there were a few positives. I do think Cristante played well even aside from the goal. Florenzi was very good. El Shaarawy worked his ass off.

Unfortunately the negatives just outweighed them all. Pellegrini was better than he has been in several appearances, but he was taken off instead of Nzonzi, which can't do anything good for his confidence. Kolarov, as I have stated before was awful, and we have no other options at LB except Santon. Nzonzi was underwhelming. And the most obvious is that even with the limited positives, nobody can really take forward a good feeling from the game after blowing a 2 goal lead like this.

It's a really sour taste to carry to Madrid. Just an infuriating morning.

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Because not everyone takes a "oh bloody hell, the sky is falling!" Approach after a handful of games?

6. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Well in all fairness how do you dismiss a coach who just a few months ago led this squad to the CL semi finals, having defeated the likes of Chelsea and Barcelona in the process? Id say it takes a little.more than a few rough domestic outings wouldn't U?

7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I think that if EDF would've stuck to his starting 11 this match ends in a win. He was already thinking about the next match heading into the 2nd half.

wm72 repped this.
  8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #83 La Magica, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Cant find a download yet but have watched extended highlights.. They can be misleading but the gist of it seemed a bright start but once went 2-0 it was all Chievo up until halftime when El sha nearly got a goal from a similar Florenzi cross. We have seen this from us and many teams when 2-0 up. With the first half stats Java just posted. Letting Chievo have 50% of the ball should not be happening but it may just be the indicator as to why EDF made the sub to follow.

Started the second half well and Pellegrini could have sealed the game with 2 good chances. They score. From here Im just trying to put the pieces together on why EDF would make this sub. Now from the first half stats EDF has to fear a lack of control in the middle of the pitch, were the game is won. With similar Chievo possession in this 2nd half with their tails up, it becomes a game of chance. In the moment, you've got to make a choice, he decides to nullify that by bringing on the experience of DDR to help that and possibly with Pellegrini just missing two good chances he is hooked. Tactically to me it makes sense.

After that there are no highlights until Chievo score a clusterfcuk goal. And following Java's second half stats it would appear Roma had got a better control of the second half.

Thats my rough take but of course a full match is a better judge.

9. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have a really hard time blaming EDF when the squad he had last season probably would have killed this game off. It's second halfs like this where experience is so important, and unfortunately all of our experience was auctioned off in the summer.

If Conte comes in it will be another huge overhaul in the summer or he'll throw a tantrum and quit. He's very much a coach that values experience over ability. Which is the opposite of how this team is built.

Monchi made a comment today of how Roma is built to fight on all fronts. And yet we're already 7 points off the top, and possibly even 4 points off of 4th if a number of teams win their game in hand. And it's only September. It's really going to be a nervy few months, there's so much we need to work on and yet we already can't afford to be dropping points.

10. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm merely commenting on what is right in front of my face, clear to see, a stinking mess of a team. We were fortunate to beat Torino thanks to a strike that Dzeko pulls off maybe once in fifty attempts. An Atalanta 2nd string tore us apart for 45 mins, so much so that we were fortunate to have a chance to get back into the game in the 2nd half. Milan completely outplayed us and thoroughly deserved to win that game. Today we dropped points at home when 2-0 up against a team that may very well get relegated this season. Now, you can brush all that off with "give it time, we have a few new players after all" all you like, but for me the above I outlined describes a truly dreadful start to this season for this squad. I being someone who generally puts forward a positive outlook when it comes to all things Roma.

LordNelson repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In terms of general play we were clearly the better side. My God, this is a home game vs Chievo ffs, so you would hope so! In terms of mentality however......

13. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Better to go on loan to play then not play at all at least in my opinion. Similar thing happened with Vlasic at Everton now he is thriving on loan at CSKA Moscow. I was not on high on Coric as others as mentally I’ve heard bad things about the kid. Hope it works out for him for Coric but if I had to bet Vlasic will make a much bigger career then Coric.

14. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chievo did not steal anything today and could easily have won the game had Olsen not made that great save at the end. Juventus only beat them with a late goal; on this form they will be a dangerous opponent for every club this season.

15. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Monchi made a mistake by not loaning Schick to a smallwer club in the summer. He won't develop sitting on the bench game after game; he needs to play.

16. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Weren’t we a Marco Motta screw up at Livorno away from the scudetto once and then sacked the manager the following year?

17. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Such comments are the quintessential example of Monchi´s Roma - looking at positives where there are none. A team that is - 2 at the bottom of the league is not " a difficult " opponent for anyone - I assume you are another one who has an infatuation with our " American Heroes ". We got torn apart by a horrible team yet again, not even our " Great one " ( Olsen ) could save us.

It has been an ABYSMAL start to the season and there are no signs it will get any better. People should stop looking at the so called " positives " because the table does not lie. Behind Lazio, no where near Napoli or Juve - we are mid-table, because quite frankly, the club has a mid-table squad. The sooner some of you circus clowns understand this - the less we have to read such pathetic comments. Then we can have a proper discussion about where the problems lie.

Marko83 and L'immortale repped this.
  18. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, a ball greedy Vucinic away from the Scudetto.

19. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just dont have any words. Today was pathetic. To drop points to a bottom of the table team is embarrassing. It's four games in and it's just so difficult to watch us play right now. I said it before, I'll say it again...this is going to be a long season at the rate were going. I really hope we can turn this around. I'm not looking forward to the RM match at all.

20. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
  21. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    IMO, it's very hard not to blame EDF. He has failed to get the team to perform for a full game as of yet.

22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I just really struggle to blame the coach when the squad in its current state is clearly worse than the one he had at the end of last season. I really don't think the reason we went from a team that was confident enough that they could beat anyone to one that is barely even functional is the fault of EDF.

EDF hasn't changed. He's still exactly the same as last season. The only thing that has is the squad, which makes me think the problem lies much more with how the team was constructed this summer. Even at the beginning of last season when the team was still very much figuring out his system, we were still grinding out results. Now we can't even do that.

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Because we didn't drop quite a few valuable points against bottom feeder team a last season as Well? Or in seasons before for that matter? Our inspirational CL run doesn't change the fact that we were nothing more than a "decent" team domestically last season. In fact, we were pretty damn average (and at times BAD) prior to the holiday break.

24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    We're 4 games in, and you're measuring that sample against an entire season? Before Dzeko and Under showed up in February out attack was pretty stale domestically.

25. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've dropped more than just a few points. We've won 1 game in our opening 4, that's unacceptable. We are absolutely a worse team at the moment. That could easily change in the coming months, but there's no denying that the team we had in May was significantly better than what we have seen so far.

romanista8910, Java65 and Haakon24 repped this.